JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Before & After (Upcycling)
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 14-06-2008 , 12:32 AM #16
unapam

Hi, Lukirra, I hope I got your name right this time!

I know what you mean about the English classes. They do concentrate on the basics and funding is limited. Tell you what, If I can get my hands on another CD for Intermediate English I will post it off to you if you want it. I had two of these recently to give away. Pm me with address if interested.

As for baby Molly- she is going to need, want and deserve a healthy world for herself and her children. You can't change this world for her, neither can I. All any of us can do is our own little bit for our children and grandchildren.

There is an old story about a Buddhist monk walking along a beach picking up starfish that had been washed up and would dry and die in the sun before the tide changed and washed them back to sea. He was throwing them back into the water. There were thousands of them and he could only save a few hundred.

A man watching him said "Why bother, you know you are not really making a difference"
The monk picked up another one, threw it back into the sea and replied " I made a difference to that one"
unapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-06-2008 , 12:44 AM #17
Covelay

Quote:
Unapam: There is an old story about a Buddhist monk walking along a beach picking up starfish that had been washed up and would dry and die in the sun before the tide changed and washed them back to sea. He was throwing them back into the water. There were thousands of them and he could only save a few hundred.

A man watching him said "Why bother, you know you are not really making a difference"
The monk picked up another one, threw it back into the sea and replied " I made a difference to that one"

Unapam,
That is the best thing I have seen written on this site to explain things - positive / negative attitude, resolve to change things and the ultimate solution - never give up hope.........thanks for putting it up

This is somewhat along the same lines:

An American visits South America and sees a man fishing on the banks of a river. The man stops fishing when he has caught enough fish to feed his family.
The American asks him why he has stopped when the waters are obviously bountiful. Surely, the American tells him, if he kept fishing he could catch enough to sell at market and eventually buy himself a small boat with the money he has made. With a small boat he would be able to catch more fish to sell to the fish processing plant in the city. With the money he makes from larger catches he would be able to buy a bigger boat and go to sea, catch even more fish, and make more money.
Then, he tells the man, when you are rich from having worked hard you would be able to retire, get yourself a fishing rod, relax and go fishing for pleasure.
Regards,
Covelay.
Covelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-06-2008 , 01:17 AM #18
unapam

Default rustic cross

Ozieandros... Your cross -I love it! And being nosey ...where is it? cos I like the look of those painted white beams boards or whatever they are behind it. Cheers...Pam
Old Posted: 14-06-2008 , 01:20 AM #19
unapam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covelay
Unapam,
That is the best thing I have seen written on this site to explain things - positive / negative attitude, resolve to change things and the ultimate solution - never give up hope.........thanks for putting it up

This is somewhat along the same lines:

An American visits South America and sees a man fishing on the banks of a river. The man stops fishing when he has caught enough fish to feed his family.
The American asks him why he has stopped when the waters are obviously bountiful. Surely, the American tells him, if he kept fishing he could catch enough to sell at market and eventually buy himself a small boat with the money he has made. With a small boat he would be able to catch more fish to sell to the fish processing plant in the city. With the money he makes from larger catches he would be able to buy a bigger boat and go to sea, catch even more fish, and make more money.
Then, he tells the man, when you are rich from having worked hard you would be able to retire, get yourself a fishing rod, relax and go fishing for pleasure.
Regards,
Covelay.

Hi Covelay, I love this story too. It kind of says it all. Cheers...Unapam
Old Posted: 14-06-2008 , 01:34 AM #20
unapam

Default New idea

Ros (I'm calling you that 'cos ur name is too long and hard to remember)
You have given me a great idea with your cross. I have lots of those twigs about the place and a ball of twine. I am going to make a rustic twig trellis for the rambling roses around the door.

Think of more great ideas for me. Go on - go on - go on.
Old Posted: 14-06-2008 , 09:10 AM #21
ozieandros

Default Happy week-end everyone

Lukiira!

Yes it's got to be pretty hard for you settling in in a foreign country, and learning another language can't be that easy either. However your english is really good and little Molly will speak fluent english probably with a local accent too! The cross I made using twigs after a tree fell following a bad storm. We're still waiting to find a mulcher and put it to use but meanwhile ... I cut off twigs because the dogs and I all got suffered grazes while walking by. Tree's a blackthorn you see! Ouch! So I spent most of a day with a pair of garden clippers and cut, cut, cut! Mick used some of th twigs to light the fire and I kept some for my own use at some stage if I couldn't think what!

Got a shed on JT and I painted the inside white, then wondered what i could put in it. So the white beam you see is the front part of the shed and as I wondered what to do with a big length of recycled twine in my hand ... Thought I'd make a cross! Mick (My partner) watched me doing it wondering what i was doing then I went 'Woo-Hoo! What say you' And he told me he loved it because it was so simple and simply beautiful. So up it went!

I've kept stacks of dead branches (Thin ones) That will be used for fencing. We have old wooden poles that he will put on the wall and simply nail the branches (Cut to size) To it. It'll mean privacy and ... No more trees cut.

I know that none of us are going to ever change what went wrong but you see I'm thinking of my brand new grand-daughter Othilda and also little Molly and all our JT babies throughout Ireland! I want them to grow up to enjoy life with nature not cured (It's too late for that) But maybe healing! If we can all work together doing it then we'll have achieved something.

I love animals too and very much so but I am not a vegetarian. I eat meat maybe twice a week. I only eat organic meat just as I only eat free range eggs.

JT is a big community and to many of us it's turned into a family. So it's nice to see a new member of the family and another JT child!

Take care and have a lovely week-end.

Pam! Ozie is one of my dogs LOL (My Bobtail). I've had him since he was a baby. As for more ideas ... Well I'm not as artistic as you are but I do love to find things lying round and ask myself 'Wonder what i could do with these'. I was a Beaver Scout Leader for many years (Scotland) And I think that's how I got the bug abut doing things out of nothing! You couldn't teach children to love and respect nature unless you actually taught them an alternative,. So we had lots of craft days when we simply went for a walk in the wood or on the beach, picked things up and off we went! Made things out of them.

We also picked up rubbish on the beach! Imagine 24 screaming kids and one Racoon (LOL My name as BSL) picking up stuff you wouldn't believe. We found someone had dumped old tyres (A dozen of them) So brought them back, painted them and planted daffodil bulbs in them! Our little village looked ever so bright came spring time! We also made a collage using bits of carrier bag all stuck together on a board. My Beaver Scouts stuck drawings of fish on them and little notes from 'Aave our fish' To 'Dump your bad habits, not your plastic bags' Etc.

Covelay! Sending you PM for Monday! Kilk how's the shed now? Have a lovely week-end everyone!
ozieandros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 29-01-2009 , 11:26 AM #22
paprika

I love the cushion covers, they are very stylish! And the repurposed tank is really cool, also the wellies. Hmm, I have a pair of leaky wellies somew here, will try to use them the same way ;)
The tyres are very handy too, I got a few from lislaw (thank oyu very much!) and used them to lift the stable floor for my goat, so now they are dryer and warmer. |Still have 2 or 3 left, gonna use them to plant flowers.

I try to recycle as many things as possible, that's what my parents did, too. I use the yogurt tubs and plastic trays for planting seeds, all sort f rubbish for decorations and for the last 2 years I got only second hand furniture - I love that old touch on them, besides I can't afford new.

So keep up the good ideas for recycling, repurposing, I love them, and I hope I can try them too!

Regards,
p
paprika is offline   Reply With Quote