JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 29-11-2008 , 01:47 PM #1
cavalin

Default advice re cushions

does anyone know what to do with cushions left over from a couch?l think l have 10 sponge ones and the others are stuffing which l suppose could be used as filling (but l don,t need any more cushions either)
cavalin is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 29-11-2008 , 01:56 PM #2
kiara

post them on jt im sure someone will make cushions, unapam??? lol, kiara x
kiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 29-11-2008 , 01:57 PM #3
kiara

or beanbags for the kids rooms?
kiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 29-11-2008 , 02:08 PM #4
cavalin

Default good idea

l did think of that but l had the suite on with some interest but noone acually took it so l figured no one would want them, l think l,ll try anyway its worth a shot
Old Posted: 29-11-2008 , 04:01 PM #5
kilk

or use them as extra lagging on hot water cylinder, i use old pillows, cushions etc outside the lagging jacket, water stays hot for days!
kilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 29-11-2008 , 05:13 PM #6
Mbell

hey, do you know any one working in a preschool or primary school- they might use them as seating in the library corner.
Mbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 29-11-2008 , 05:17 PM #7
betsy10112000

Default cushions

had a bit of an idea
i know you said you dont need anymore cushions BUT
maybe if yu are a dab hand on the sewing machine yo could make up a few cushions as christmas presents.even personalise them with names or something.they would be great for childrens bedrooms aswel and they would love it with their names on!

just an idea :)
betsy10112000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 29-11-2008 , 05:18 PM #8
betsy10112000

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsy10112000
had a bit of an idea
i know you said you dont need anymore cushions BUT
maybe if yu are a dab hand on the sewing machine yo could make up a few cushions as christmas presents.even personalise them with names or something.they would be great for childrens bedrooms aswel and they would love it with their names on!

just an idea :)

oh and these would be environmentally friendly,recycled and cut down on christmas pressie spending for yourself :)
betsy10112000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 29-11-2008 , 10:04 PM #9
cavalin

l like your ideas l even have puffy paint my girls use to on their t.shirts,May even let them help me ,great ideas people
Old Posted: 30-11-2008 , 07:46 PM #10
kila2008

Foam??? I love using foam for stuff!!!

Its not exactly the same thing but I did use the foam out of an old foam chair-bed that my daughter had in her playroom (was used a lot and had a lot of stuff spilled on it when my daughter was little). I took off the old fabric that was beyond use (and not a nice pattern to start with) and I made a head mask from my daughter for halloween last year...she was a werewolf. I just took the part of the chair bed that folds out for the pillow area and carved out an animal head using a sharp scissors....contantly snipping to ensure that it was smooth. I shaped the ears and teeth from separate pieces of foam and stuck them out with glue and put a few stitches to ensure that they didn't fall off (foam doesn't sew well though, so only a few stitches). I painted the mask using my daughters paints and finished it off by attaching some scrap brown fake fur that I bought from an upholstery shop (also used this to make a little fur jump-suit for her)

I also used foam to make a mini top-hat for the races....again I just carved the foam into the shape that I wanted using a sharp scissors. I made the main part of the hat and the rim as two separate pieces and sewed/glued them together after I hat covered each piece in organza fabric. I tied some ribbon around the base of the mini hat and attached some feathers at the back and a cheap plastic comb to the underside of it.

I also use scrap foam for stencilling and face-painting. There are soooo many ways that you can use foam! I know that some of the guys I'm in college with made cheap foam-cutters as they sometimes use foam for making models and their homemade foam-cutters give a really clean cut/edge!!
kila2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 30-11-2008 , 11:01 PM #11
cavalin

Default ok l,m on a mission

my mission for this week is to make personalised cushions as suggested but l still don,t know what to do with the sponge ones if l manage to do these it will be a miracle alone.Any one want them?????
Old Posted: 30-11-2008 , 11:11 PM #12
cavalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kila2008
Foam??? I love using foam for stuff!!!

Its not exactly the same thing but I did use the foam out of an old foam chair-bed that my daughter had in her playroom (was used a lot and had a lot of stuff spilled on it when my daughter was little). I took off the old fabric that was beyond use (and not a nice pattern to start with) and I made a head mask from my daughter for halloween last year...she was a werewolf. I just took the part of the chair bed that folds out for the pillow area and carved out an animal head using a sharp scissors....contantly snipping to ensure that it was smooth. I shaped the ears and teeth from separate pieces of foam and stuck them out with glue and put a few stitches to ensure that they didn't fall off (foam doesn't sew well though, so only a few stitches). I painted the mask using my daughters paints and finished it off by attaching some scrap brown fake fur that I bought from an upholstery shop (also used this to make a little fur jump-suit for her)

I also used foam to make a mini top-hat for the races....again I just carved the foam into the shape that I wanted using a sharp scissors. I made the main part of the hat and the rim as two separate pieces and sewed/glued them together after I hat covered each piece in organza fabric. I tied some ribbon around the base of the mini hat and attached some feathers at the back and a cheap plastic comb to the underside of it.

I also use scrap foam for stencilling and face-painting. There are soooo many ways that you can use foam! I know that some of the guys I'm in college with made cheap foam-cutters as they sometimes use foam for making models and their homemade foam-cutters give a really clean cut/edge!!
fair play to you but thats WAY over my head, l,ll be lucky to sew a square never mind doing all you can do
Old Posted: 30-11-2008 , 11:47 PM #13
Griffen

Why not ask your local animal rescue if they want them as comfy cushions for injured cats or dogs with broken legs etc?
Griffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-12-2008 , 01:04 AM #14
cavalin

l never thought of that will do that later today and see what happens.