JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 05-03-2010 , 07:30 PM #1
jenniferalan

Default snake draught excluder (how to make?)

I was wondering if someone would be able to tell me how I'd make one of these. I have plenty of scarves and old duvets for stuffing but I don't know how to sew!
jenniferalan is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 05-03-2010 , 07:36 PM #2
Angelsfishingrod

Default door draught stopper

Hi there,
Firstly do you have a sewing machine???

I have made a few they are quite easy to do, and you could do it by hand, but lot easier with machine.
all I did was cut 2 lenghts of material size of the door, better with thickish material, then machine the two lenghts, and one end.
Next, turn it inside out, then stuff it with either an old cushion, or any bits of material,, cut them up and stuff in so nicely padded all round, this will make a round door stopper.
then all need to do is to fold the 2 ends in, and overstitch it, thats about it. Good Luck :)
Angelsfishingrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-03-2010 , 01:14 PM #3
Gormal

If you don't have a sewing machine. The simplest way to hand stitch is to measure the width of the door add 5cm for seams. Then cut fabric that length and about 32 cm wide sew along 1 end and length, turn inside out and stuff, fold last end inwards and sew neatly. add eyes and a ribbon for the tongue.
For a mouth you could push it in and make the stuffing come over the top and bottom..... remember when you used to make sock puppets for your hand ? that sort of idea. A sticth or 2 would hold it in place.

Or for an almost no sew one. Get a pair of thick tights cut the legs off, stuff, sew or knot the end add eyes and tongue.
You could also use very long socks.

Good luck!
Gormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-03-2010 , 07:19 PM #4
maggied

Default draught snake

hiya if you would like i could make you the outer "snake " and you could fill it yourself , wouldnt cost much to post that way ?
maggied
maggied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-03-2010 , 08:36 PM #5
fionaf

Default draught excluder

the simplist way to do this is to stuff the leg of a nylon tight, make cover with velcro closing so you can remove to clean and slide the cover over the leg of the tight,
fionaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-03-2010 , 09:16 PM #6
jenniferalan

Thank you very much to everyone who replied. I am only on a fleeting visit online but hopefully I can study and read all your comments properly tomorrow when I will be back online. :)
jenniferalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-03-2010 , 12:08 AM #7
dee1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferalan
I was wondering if someone would be able to tell me how I'd make one of these. I have plenty of scarves and old duvets for stuffing but I don't know how to sew!

I see u dont sew if u tell me the coulour of ur room or furniture,I dont mind making u 1 or more,I may even have the colour to match.another alt is to attach some foam if you have any to the bottom of the door with double sided tape or glue,dont worry it will peal off and any stickiness will rub off with a bit of lubricant wd40 or whatever, we did this method years ago and had no problems.its also a good way to get kids stickers off furniture .pm if you want me to make you some.
dee1 is offline   Reply With Quote