JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 17-02-2011 , 11:00 PM #1
palminnie1

Default eco awareness involving disabled persons

crazy, you try look up Irish Ideas for redecorating, adapting new home for a person with a disability - no one seems interested enough.
same with trying to see how to make a garden adaptable.
no such site and no Irish site for 'gardening for disabled' that is, no community forums, no centre to help in rehabilition through gardening like 'trive' etc.
we are way behind, and leaving disabled people behind and basically left on the margins as always.
dont even get me started on where are the adapted social housing units, none are even been designed let alone out there!
palminnie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 18-02-2011 , 09:35 PM #2
MuddyWitch

That's terrible...but...you have an election going on so grab all the candidates you can.

Or if you are brave, contact the local tv or radio & ask them to set up a debate with you & all your candidates. (Local telly & radio jump at this as it's relitively cheap to set up & makes the Politicos squirm!)

Good Luck!

MW
MuddyWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-02-2011 , 12:25 AM #3
Fries-With-That

Default Special needs Garden

Palminnie,

You have my support, and whilst this news may not do you any good ...........

I am part of a group setting up a new charity for children and adults with special needs and one of the projects we are currently trying to get off the ground is a garden especially designed for people with special needs.

The garden will be open to the public to get involved in a hands on fashion, all areas will be suitable for people with special needs and they will be expected to offer input, be that in a hands on fashion or just as advisers as to what should be in the garden.

We have a 3 acre site earmarked in the midlands and are in advanced discussions with the council as regards leasing the ground.

Part of the plan is to have a website with ideas that can be adapted to a home garden situation so ...keep watching this space and you'll see some practical information available soon.

You can also gather a like minded group yourself and put pressure on your local council to provide gardens (allotments) for people in your area.

From the Irish statute book....BE IT ENACTED BY THE OIREACHTAS OF SAORSTÁT EIREANN AS FOLLOWS:—

Definitions.

1.—In this Act—

the word “allotment” means a piece of land containing not more than one-quarter of a statute acre let or intended to be let for cultivation by an individual for the production of vegetables mainly for consumption by himself and his family;

the expression “local authority” means and includes the council of a county borough or other borough or an urban district or the commissioners of a town to which the Towns Improvement (Ireland) Act, 1854, or any part of that Act applies;

the word “area” when used in relation to a local authority means the borough, district, or town of which the local authority is the council or the commissioners;

the word “provide” means to acquire land and to execute thereon all works necessary to render the land suitable for use as allotments;

the expression “the Minister” means the Minister for Local Government and Public Health.

Local authorities may provide land for allotments.

2.—(1) Whenever a local authority is of opinion, as a result of representations made to them or on their own motion, that there is a demand for allotments in their area and are further of opinion that the costs and expenses to be incurred by them in providing and maintaining the land for such allotments and otherwise in relation thereto may reasonably be expected to be recouped by the rents and other moneys to be received by them for the allotments, such local authority may resolve to provide land for such allotments under this Act, and may thereupon carry such resolution into execution under and in accordance with this Act..........

Fries.
Fries-With-That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-03-2011 , 01:29 AM #4
tudlytops

Worth then that, try checking out how many disable people work for centres for the disabled, charities for disabled and the government.

It always amazed me how all this organizations supposedly for the disabled, have so few disable working for them.

Oh and i mean employed not volunteering....
tudlytops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-03-2011 , 08:16 AM #5
palminnie1

Default i planned(ed)

briefly during the election campaign i printed up flyers on accessible disabled social housing in my area which happened to be - none are and none will!
i sat or rode the mobility scooter around and handed em out.
many companies etc are obliged i think to employ disabled people but once they start coming up to the point that they have to allow them stay permanently if on their books any longer, these people are let go and cited redundancy or such.
it happened my dear niece, she loved the job she was in.
palminnie1 is offline   Reply With Quote