JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Before & After (Upcycling)
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 25-09-2014 , 10:48 PM #1
Aido99

Default Advice on Annie Sloan paint

Hello. I was just wondering if anybody who has used Annie Sloan paint could tell me about the finish you get with this paint. Do you see the brush strokes?i want to paint a maghony fire place surround white. I do not want a distressed finished.i thought I had found the answer to what paint to use that requires no sanding etc but now am not sure. I saw some samples of the Annie Sloan paint on small pieces of skirting board and it looked quite rustic with brush strokes showing. this is not the finish I was looking for. I wanted a nice crisp paint job. If Annie Sloan is not the answer could any of you experts in this field give me some advice on what paint I should use and what prep I need to do. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Aido99 is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 26-09-2014 , 08:26 PM #2
noni

Default advice on Annie Sloan paint

Hi, With any chalk paint it's best after painting to give it a light sanding which should help to smooth it then you wax it or varnish it. For a fire surround you could also use an eggshell paint and put it on with a small roller. Hope this helps.
noni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-10-2014 , 09:53 AM #3
billythedragonkiller

i know I'm replying late, but here goes.
I used A.S paint for a few projects; one was a bookshelf which was made from (new) pine/white deal, another the converted bedside lockers to childs kitchen i posted in this section earlier. Oh and I repainted a varnished bookshelf also. And a picture frame.

I found it quite difficult to work; it tends to 'drag' a bit, so you end up removing paint as you apply it. It was worse on the finished surfaces; the picture frame, varnished bookshelf and bedside lockers than it was on the raw pine.

Even when applying the wax to protect it afterwards, it's hard NOT to make it distressed. And as for "no sanding before applying" - well that's pure BS.

My advice would be to avoid, and save your money.
billythedragonkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-10-2014 , 12:58 PM #4
Pacman

Default It looks like you don't like Annie Sloan anyway!

So if you are looking for a more 'polished' and clean effect you need to buy a satinwood paint. You will get advice from your local DIY If you are painting a mahogany fireplace you will need something fairly durable.
Pacman is offline   Reply With Quote