JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 26-03-2009 , 11:10 AM #31
Milky_moo

Hi - to be honest, I've not heard from him since. I run a small newspaper in Wexford, and this guy came in to place an advert, when I get into the office this afternoon, I'll get his info and pm you!
Milky_moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-03-2009 , 06:59 PM #32
noni

Default allotments

Hi Lislaw,
Growing veg. in tyres sounds interesting, do you have any photos of your
veg. patch with the tyres.

Regards,
Noni
noni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-04-2009 , 07:14 PM #33
Green Fields

Default Allotments in Kilkenny

Hi all....thinking of setting up allotment in Kilkenny. Just wondering if there's any interest out there? Not sure of price or size or anything like that yet - want to find out if there's much interest.
thanks!
Green Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-04-2009 , 12:46 PM #34
beermick

Default Slugs & Spuds

Hi all,
I have been hearing about the growing in tyres idea for years but have not tried it. Last year I grew some spuds in a new galvanised rubbish bin and it worked well. This year I will do it again and am thinking of using the same principal by growing spuds in a compost bin. I am wondering if, after the growing season, I left the spuds burried and put the lids back on both containers to keep the rain out, would the spuds store well or would they rot??

Any ideas?

Also I have just had fantastic success with the "Beer slug traps" I put 5 old jars in my herb garden and the next day there was about 30 dead slugs floating in them. I had not even seen any slugs prior to that.
beermick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-04-2009 , 01:55 PM #35
JulieSherris

Hi Beermick - if you leave the spuds in the earth after the growing season, they will rot eventually and get eaten by the nasty slugs as well, no doubt - the best way to store them is in the dark, once they have been cleaned off a bit - an old wooden drawer, or anything like that, covered over in the dry & cold will do them no harm whatsoever - if they are anything like ours, they won't be there long anyway!

If you are going to do your spuds in compost bins this year, will they get enough light? I was just thinking that as the sides of the bin go in at the top & are usually black, the light levels might be a problem.

I have mine growing in tyres because as each new tyre goes on, it's open to the rain & light - when I harvest, I do one tyre at a time & then the bottom one is cleared & refilled with fresh soil, ready to start again.

Also, while I'm here - don't forget folks to try not to touch the potatoes & tomatoes without a hand wash or glove change first - tomatoes will get 'mosaick-ed' otherwise!

Julie.
JulieSherris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-04-2009 , 08:32 PM #36
Knecht

Default Allotments

Hi,
There is a transition group formed In Midleton Co Cork. Don't have the details but they can be found in the library I think. They are also looking at unused council land being used I think.
Knecht
Knecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-04-2009 , 10:43 PM #37
snowdaisy

Default Kilkenny Allotment

Hi green fields,
i believe the council is looking for land to consider for allotments, contact local green party councillor Malcom Noonan, he''l know the score.

i might have a customer to pass on to you if it gets up and going, depending on where you are in the county, good luck
snowdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-05-2009 , 10:55 PM #38
jenniferalan

Just wondering does anyone know anything about how to apply for an allotment? I am interested in getting one. Have been watching Corrigans programme and find it very inspiring. He mentioned a good few times about the leglislation that's in place that says it is our right to have access to one free of charge. Does Galway have a long waiting list?
jenniferalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-05-2009 , 08:46 PM #39
Tracyw

Default allotment information

Hiya, there's an allotment scheme starting in Cork city, apparently the allotments will be ready for next year (fingers crossed). Ring up the county council to put your name down if you're interested. In the meantime check out www.corkfoodweb.ning.com , its a new social networking site with an allotment group and other groups such as 'growing your own veg' 'forgaging and wild food' etc. where you can meet like minded people possibly in your area, and discuss issues surrounding your area of personal interest with regard to organic food and herb growing. Enjoy! Tracy
Tracyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-05-2009 , 10:49 AM #40
slunney

Hi all,

Theres a private allotment scheme in Roundwood Co.Wicklow, we've taken one on there and having great fun with it. Theres still a few left and the owner has spaces marked out for more if he gets the interest. You can see pictures on my blog www.plot103.blogspot.com if you want to see what they are like.

We too went to the county councils first but to be honest it was a dead end and I was told there were hundreds on the waiting list and there were no plans to increase allotments in dublin for the next few years so even though they are obliged to give you one if the interest is there they are obviously not bothered. I think if a waiting list of hundreds is not interest enough then I don't know what is!! Don't rely on county council allotments, go ahead and get a private one, you'll pay more in rent but when you break it down its not actually that much more expensive considering a private allotment will come rotovated, with manure and mulch included, and a few extras, county council allotments come with nothing and by the time you add up the cost of rotovating hiring equipment, and getting manure etc onto your plot its pretty much the same. Also we found when the council plots are eventually given up they've been neglected for years and you'll be weeks just trying to clear the site before you get any veg in. You can always put your name down for the council sites and in the years while your waiting for one to come up, rent a private one to at least get some growing done.

Happy gardening
sharon
slunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-07-2009 , 12:42 AM #41
artifact

Default one third of an arce

I live in Enniskerry and would love if someone wanted to work the land as I cant keep up .There is any amount of mature organic compost here as well.Please let me know if any one is interested.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-07-2015 , 12:37 PM #42
rossyDEpalma

Quote:
Originally Posted by artifact
I live in Enniskerry and would love if someone wanted to work the land as I cant keep up .There is any amount of mature organic compost here as well.Please let me know if any one is interested.
I know you posted this few years ago.but maybe you still want someone work some of your land?
rossyDEpalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-08-2015 , 11:26 PM #43
artifact

Default growing food

Hi there Rossy
Havent been on this site for donkey's but I'm interested in talking to you about your request as no one inquired bact at the time of my post so I just gave up on it ,get bact to me and maybe we can talk.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-08-2015 , 01:49 PM #44
rossyDEpalma

Sent you pm
rossyDEpalma is offline   Reply With Quote