JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 27-07-2012 , 11:38 AM #1
Marhen

Default Need advice on paint for garden furniture.

I have just finished two old kitchen chairs with metal frames. Painted the frames black. I used a spray primer and plastic paint to do the seat and backs. one red and the other a deep pink. they turned out lovely and as this is my first time to try this, I was really pleased, especially with the finish. I will try to put up some photo's by the weekend. My only gripe about it is that spray paint is very expensive and would like to know if I can buy plastic type paint in tins etc. would be grateful for any advice or info on this. Forgot to mention that the reason for plastic paint is that the chairs are for outdoors. Marhen
Marhen is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 16-08-2012 , 08:06 PM #2
Teddie Carter

How's it going Marhen, there are two I would try: Triflow and Hammerite. They can be a bit pricey but are longer lasting than a spray paint because they form a thicker coat. I would suggest painting with a sponge roller, they are often used for applying varnish. I find that heating the object to be painted a little first with a hot air gun, it drives moisture off the object and helps the paint to adhere better. Hope this helps and good luck with it!
Teddie Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-08-2012 , 04:12 PM #3
Marhen

Default Need advice on paint for garden furniture.

Hi Teddy Carter. Thanks for the advice. I have tried the Hammerite and it has worked very well. Didn't know about Triflow but will look into this one too. Thanks again. Marhen.
Marhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-02-2013 , 04:30 PM #4
lopats

Default garden furniture

Hey, i have a hardwood furniture set that had got a bit weather worn. i painted the set with a red gloss paint and it looks great! will have to be done again this year but doest take long. in very hot weather the paint may bubble but cant see that happening here!! cheap and cheerfull
lopats is offline   Reply With Quote