JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 18-07-2009 , 11:45 PM #16
minnie pal

Default when i say lilac

there really is a very small masonry part of front of cottage, but i was thinking of a very light dusky lilac not strong colours at all, the great thing being there is so little to cover, if it is truely dreadful it can be changed no prob. might take a drive round tomorrow to get a good look at house colours.
xminnie pal
minnie pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-07-2009 , 11:34 PM #17
bluecurlygirl

Your house looks lovely Minnie Pal. I love the little bit over the door. So cute. I like picture 2 if that's any help.
bluecurlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-07-2009 , 12:55 AM #18
Bawnie

What about a coffee and cream? You are mad about purple, what about purple flower pots to compliment whatever colour you choose!! ;) Or plain flower pots with purple flowers? I personally think, beige and cream ! Good luck with it!
Bawnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-07-2009 , 08:01 AM #19
mrsl

I like photo 3, the yellow, it makes the cottage look brighter than the other two colours. You could bring the other colours you like into the scheme with flowers in your pots.
mrsl
mrsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-07-2009 , 08:20 AM #20
keno

pic 3 also for me , it just blends in so well with next door.
keno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-07-2009 , 09:24 AM #21
cathy

ok, I would use a stencil and paint flowers growing up the wall of the cottage.Its just beautiful.
I would also use a pale , but slightly yellow background , to have a bit of sunshine.
some wooden but out ladybirds, and snails, maybe done with MDF, and painted in a shiny gloss, nail them/glue them to the front of the cottage.
cathy
cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-07-2009 , 09:57 AM #22
summersun

Hi Minnie Pal,

This is going to be a great thread, although one persons idea of a great colour is anothers nightmare...

Over the past few years i drove all over looking at every show house and new developments looking for inspiration as we built a new house ourselves.

Out of the 3 colours you have up... here i go, although i dont like lilac it comes across as being a cool and calming colour and is the best of the 3... the blue i think looks very wishy washy and a bit dull... sorry bcg ... and the yellow would need to be a bit brighter and warmer... it looks to be a very old and dated colour... I dont mean to offend that's why i said one persons great colour is anothers nightmare.

On a trip down to Wexford and Waterford to buy plants that wont survive up here in frosty damp old Monaghan... i came across a beautiful individual housing development in Wexford where every home was a different colour... and the ones that stood out from the rest were Lilac, Olive green, Bawnies idea of coffee and cream... and mushroom.... i will ask the husband if he can remember the development as there was a website that did justice to these houses. I am sorry i cant remember the name ... my memory is non existant...

My top 3 colours would be Mushroom, Olive green, coffee and cream....

An idea for you , i did this for my internal rooms... as in the end we built using bradstone... i got an end roll of newspaper paper from the local paper and got sample pots of the paints we liked and painted long pieces of paper with various colours and shades and stuck them onto the walls... why not try that and tape them up on the outside wall and go from there.... better to waste a few euro to get the right colour than pay hundreds and have to start again.... as believe me sometimes the various books and colour on the tin sometimes dry a totally different colour... especially with Crown... ( i have been there , disappointed that the colour i chose was nowhere like the finished colour , whinged to Crown and got all my money back...

Good luck with your choice....

If you collect a few thousand slugs in the mean time you can paint them all the different colours and stick them to the walls to get a good idea :-)

happy painting
Summersun
summersun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-07-2009 , 10:19 AM #23
minnie pal

Default thanks all this is so helpful

next door, to left of pic is a yellow a beautiful yellow actually, and on the other side is a very darkish terracotta.
I know, it can be scary thinking of painting the hoose a colour that you want, I am still with the lilac or no. 2 which i think is a sort of green/blue, it comes up a bit stark in the photo.
I did a tour yesterday and all the houses about 20min away were variations on the theme of white/cream etc.!!!
thanks, will keep going.
xminnie pal
Old Posted: 21-07-2009 , 10:30 AM #24
Poppy

Hiya, the olive green or mushroom sound good. They would look much richer and would be great with pots full of coloured plants.
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-07-2009 , 10:59 AM #25
unapam

Default colour

Definitely green! Your house is gorgeous!
unapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-07-2009 , 01:45 PM #26
colmsmum

Congrats on the new cottage, it really is beautiful and good luck with whatever you decide.

Personally I'd go with green too. I love these houses. I think the colours are fab together and that sage green is just gorgeous (in my opinion!).
Attached Images

colmsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-07-2009 , 01:54 PM #27
summersun

Lovely homes Columsmum... i agree with the sage colour... it stands out the most and looks beautiful....

Poor Minniepal.... you have a hard decision to make .... the top 3 colours might have to go into a hat...

Summersun

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmsmum
Congrats on the new cottage, it really is beautiful and good luck with whatever you decide.

Personally I'd go with green too. I love these houses. I think the colours are fab together and that sage green is just gorgeous (in my opinion!).
summersun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-07-2009 , 03:41 PM #28
Poppy

love the sage colour, that would be gorgeous on your very cute house. You will have to post a pic and show us when you have painted it whatevery colour you decide.
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-07-2009 , 08:26 PM #29
minnie pal

Default the good, bad, ugly and indifferent about 'hoose'

It brill, to look at like this, long way from adapted van (that da bad), its weeny (ugly and bad), neighbours BRILL, garden though all concrete BRILL, no townie pigeons, chicken legs on street plus peoples dinners, Good, but, this is supposed to be for a disabled person, think about it, no point to power up scooter, van miles away from hoose, if i have to be permenantly in a wheelchair i will have to move as it is not suitable.
County Hall and disab people and lack of knowledge realise NOW, 'they rightly cocked this one up!!!!" but when i see the chis run on the grass in the communal area, my neighbours are so nice and the garden potential its great, when you cant swing a cat inside and it will be small in winter, well...you have to sacrifice, just i didnt think all my physio equipment would end in a barn down at my sisters place!!!
xxxxminnie pal.
I knwo though it will be home and i will only leave in a box, eco of course.
Old Posted: 22-07-2009 , 09:42 AM #30
minnie pal

Default I like

Yes, i like the sage, gonna email friend who did this trick on me hoose and ask for the pantone ref numbers so i can look again more closely.
Keep going with da voting. xxxann