Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Support Forum > Support Forum
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 21-01-2009 , 08:32 PM #1
Rosrach

Default Use ordinary stamps on SAE not pre-paid parcel stamps - An Update

Hi everyone.

I wonder has anyone else experienced this?

Today I tried to postitems in an SAE I'd been sent. The receiver had used a pre-paid parcel stamp (probably as advised to by An Post) but I was then told at my Post Office that these are only valid for postage on the day of issue and depite my best efforts would not accept the package (I had no money to cover postage myself).

This means the Receiver wasted the €6.00! Annoyance all round.

Just wanted to warn others so they do not have the same problem.

Rosrach

Update - Thurs 22nd. I tried again after reading your posts.

I crossed over into Co.Galway to a small village post office and flew in, pointed out the postage had been paid and flew out again before any one could say a word to me! I just hope the parcel is delivered now.

Rosrach

Sat 25th - It worked and the package arrived! (see post below) A lesson learned - check the rules but also do not give in to the system!
Rosrach is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 21-01-2009 , 09:04 PM #2
maufant

Yesterday I posted an item with a prepaid stamp and asked at the post office was the postage sufficient, he said yes and stamped it and that was that. Maybe I just got him on a good day, it's the first time I used this method as most jt's send stamps or cash.
maufant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-01-2009 , 09:10 PM #3
Narizota

I have never heard of this before! I can't see what difference it would make to the PO if the item wasn't posted on the same day.

I have often sent those in place of actual stamps and (so far) I have not had any problems. Maybe if you tried at that PO again with a different person serving?

I hope the sender can get a refund,€6 is a lot to lose!

Thanks for the heads up,Rosrach!
Narizota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-01-2009 , 10:43 PM #4
Rosrach

I will try again!

Person who 'served' me was adamant the postage was no good and I tied, believe me.
Old Posted: 21-01-2009 , 10:46 PM #5
gillo

I would ring the gpo about this, that doesn't sound right to me at all. I never heard the like of it and I have posted several packages with these prepaid stamps on
gillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-01-2009 , 10:57 PM #6
Sabrinabray

Default Pre paid stamp

It happened to me too when I went to post a parcel to another jt'er. I had to post it back to her.

They are like when u use a franking machine in that it is only valid that day (next day at a push).
Sabrinabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-01-2009 , 10:59 PM #7
Sabrinabray

Default observant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillo
I would ring the gpo about this, that doesn't sound right to me at all. I never heard the like of it and I have posted several packages with these prepaid stamps on

Gillo I think they will let it go usually if it is only a few days old but u will always get 'one' who will enforce the rule! I got the 'one' that day!
Old Posted: 21-01-2009 , 11:07 PM #8
gillo

Oh, I know, bureaucracy!! We're very lucky here in Kinnegad, we have lovely post office staff, really obliging and friendly. I suppose in bigger towns where there are bigger staff numbers, it's more likely to get people going by the book, but it does seem a bit mean not to let the parcel go, after all it has been paid for. At the very least the person should have been informed when purchasing the postage that it had to go out that day. 6 euro is quite a lot to lose
gillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-01-2009 , 12:19 AM #9
Sabrinabray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosrach
Update - Thurs 22nd. I tried again after reading your posts.

I crossed over into Co.Galway to a small village post office and flew in, pointed out the postage had been paid and flew out again before any one could say a word to me! I just hope the parcel is delivered now.

Rosrach
Nice one! U will have to let us know whether it was delivered now.

gillo - U r so right! All it would take is for them to point out at the time of purchase the "rules of usage"! That would be too easy...
Old Posted: 24-01-2009 , 01:31 AM #10
jenniferalan

Many thanks to Rachel (Rosrach) I received this item today!!!! Was delighted and relieved that i did not have to pay an extra 6euro. Sorry for the hassle that was caused, i did not know that there was any rule and have often used pre paid in the past.

Thanks again!
J
jenniferalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-01-2009 , 10:13 AM #11
Sabrinabray

Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferalan
Many thanks to Rachel (Rosrach) I received this item today!!!! Was delighted and relieved that i did not have to pay an extra 6euro. Sorry for the hassle that was caused, i did not know that there was any rule and have often used pre paid in the past.

Thanks again!
J

Thanks for the update jenniferalan! all is well that ends well. How do we get the post office to advise customers though of the "rules"?
Old Posted: 24-01-2009 , 11:09 AM #12
Rosrach

Maybe the officious staff member was having a bad day. Am gald it was worth a second try and we didn't get beaten by the system!

Support small county post offices, thats what I say!