JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Before & After (Upcycling)
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 21-04-2013 , 08:00 PM #1
Mickey

Default Extreme Makeover: Siobhán's Room Edition - *Photos Added*

My youngest hardly ever sleeps in her own room anymore and so we are doing a budget makeover for her.

The large white wooden box was given to us by a lovely lady (Viv) clearing out 42 years of life in her huge old farmhouse to move back to England. It had no lid and so my 2nd daughter and my son who do 1st and 2nd year woodwork volunteered to make a lid to attach with hinges (with a bit of help from dad) which they did in about half an hour this afternoon using pallet wood received from a neighbour and it looks pretty good. The next step is to find thick, dense foam to top it and cover it with fabric (which I still need to source). We will also make a matching/complimentary cushion for the small box seat (also from the lovely Viv).

The small box will be the seat for her desk/dressing table both of which will be painted to match the wall or white to match the chest of drawers. The trunk will also be white.

The lampshade was originally a storage receptacle from Ikea that we drilled a hole in to make it work. The patterns it throws up on the walls and ceiling is quite lovely.

I found 2 wooden shelves in the linen press which just sat there gathering dust for ever and I painted them to match the wooden flower light art work we made from a sheet of MDF I had left over from making fridge magnets last year. Not sure just how and where the shelves will be hung but I'm sure inspiration will come. Will staple a set of LED Christmas tree lights to the back of the board which we will block mount on the wall. The petal shapes we cut out are also painted and will be mounted above the desk.

My friend gave me an old mirror (which used to be her grandmother's) and this will be hung from a chain above the chest of drawers.

I am looking for some interesting door/drawer knobs and single coat hooks to put on the wall to hang hats and scarves and belts and bags.
Attached Images

Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 23-04-2013 , 07:02 PM #2
melissabell

This looks fantastic well done, it's amazing what yu can do with a bit of imagination ;)
melissabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-04-2013 , 08:55 PM #3
Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissabell
This looks fantastic well done, it's amazing what yu can do with a bit of imagination ;)

Thanks :). Still a ways off from finishing and far from designer but it is what she wants :)
Old Posted: 26-04-2013 , 12:38 PM #4
edel72

Default Foam for cushions

I used cushions from an old couch (heading for the dump) to make seating for a project like this. Works perfectly.

EdEl
edel72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-07-2013 , 10:19 PM #5
Leahsmam

going to look great. are there any more recent photos
Leahsmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-07-2013 , 11:23 AM #6
Mickey

Sorry for not putting up more pics sooner. So much stuff on the go that I am jumping from one unfinished thing to the next.

I will take a few more photos of some shelves we put up for some books and stereo and hanging storage pots a bit later.

I have 2 seat cushions that I had repurposed as a headboard which I got from Noahboah a couple of years ago. They both fit the lid of the box perfectly to make a great cushion. I was given some lilac jersey fabric by MandyJackson which I will use to make a washable, removable cover and then that will be sorted. Then I just have to make cushion covers and finish the pompom rug (hopefully in time for this winter coming :[).

The chest of drawers, homework desk and smaller trunk which she uses for shoes I am still going to paint. Probably the same colour as the walls or white. If I use the wall colour they will not appear to take up as much room and I can use accessories and highlights to give them a bit of character and dimension.
Attached Images

Old Posted: 11-07-2013 , 01:42 PM #7
Gormal

Love the wooden flower lights idea! Well done.
Gormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-08-2013 , 07:47 PM #8
Eily

Love the flower light idea. Well done
Eily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-08-2013 , 11:50 PM #9
Leyazile

Lucky girl,what a great room! The wall light and overhead lamp are both fantastic and so creative, love the blanket box as well. Great job!
Leyazile is offline   Reply With Quote