JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 04-10-2009 , 08:20 PM #1
BillieT

Default Plant -- Does anyone know what this is pls?

Hi All

Can anyone tell me the name of this plant - Its from a seed I picked up from the ground in Florida. I had no intention of replanting it so I never looked to see what the mother plant looked like.

I planted it in a small pot a couple months ago - but it only started growing about week ago.

Its very strange looking - it looks like an animal holding leaves between its jaws.

The head is about the size of an adults thumbnail - but its growing fairly quickly.

Hopefully someone will recognise it and tell me how to look after it.

UPDATE

Well this is how it looks now - its about 2 and a half inches tall - the 'seed pod' looks like its gonna fall off leaving the leaves to carry on by themselves.

It now looks a bit like a fern on one side and slightly different on the other side - even though both sides are coming out of the same stem.

There's great excitement in our house though, as we are all following its progress - we leave it on the kitchen window in the sun all day and then near a radiator at night. And I have given it some plant food.

UPDATE AGAIN: I went on holidays a couple of weeks ago, leaving my husband in charge of looking after this plant ....

R.I.P poor plant. There was just a little tip poking out of the soil when I got back.
Attached Images

BillieT is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 04-10-2009 , 08:42 PM #2
Fries-With-That

Default Omg

Hi BillieT,

I think its a triffid, be careful or you'll have the whole of portlaoise wiped out by giant flesh eating plants.

Sorry couldn't resist hahaha.

regards,

Fries.

If it was a pea like seed you should look up this plant 'rosary pea'
Fries-With-That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-10-2009 , 08:43 PM #3
summersun

Hi BillieT,

How i wish i could tell you... the only thing i would say is that it wont be frost hardy, so keep it indoors somewhere light and WARM!!!! , wish i could hop on the plane to Florida to find out for you :-))))))))))))))))))

hope you get an answer...

take care
Summersun
summersun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-10-2009 , 08:54 PM #4
BillieT

You know what Fries? (smarty pants) When it started to grow it looked like a flytrap kinda plant - I'm still not sure haha. If it grows teeth I will be offering it on here haha.
I wonder would it come under animals and pets though?

Its ok Summersun - I think I'll just have to persuade my hubby to take me back to find out.

But if anyone is going to Busche Gardens soon... It was in a flat round black seed pod.
Old Posted: 04-10-2009 , 11:10 PM #5
Ruthy

Default Triffid?

I think you can relax, it's not a Triffid....

Don't know what it is, but have a fair idea it's doing one of two things. Seed plants have no roots to suck food out of the ground, so seeds have all the food a plant needs until it grows roots. Some seeds stay in the ground and the plant grows out of them, and the first two leaves often are different from the leaves that come after. I can't tell from the photo, but it might be that the greeny round things are the first leaves, and the others are the leaves that come after. On the other hand, some plants push the seed up out of the soil as they so on top like a crown, and the plant then starts to grow out of the "crown" thing. This looks a bit more like a seed that's been pushed upwards, split, and the new plant is growing out of it.

Its very green so probably healthy, keep us posted!
Ruthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-10-2009 , 01:42 PM #6
TickTock

Default Plant

Why not ask those clever folk in the Botanic Gardens to check out your photo? I'm sure they'll enjoy the puzzle and/or solve it for you. I was also wondering if bringing a seed from soil in one country and plant it in another is actually allowed or not. I know there are laws about roots but dunno about seeds.
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-10-2009 , 04:33 PM #7
MuddyWitch

I agree with Ruthie; the 'jaws' are in fact the little plant's seed leaves.

As for identifying it, we'll need to see the true leaves to help you properly. Give it a week or so & them post a new pic & we'll do our best. :)

MW
MuddyWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-10-2009 , 10:35 PM #8
BillieT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTock
Why not ask those clever folk in the Botanic Gardens to check out your photo? I'm sure they'll enjoy the puzzle and/or solve it for you. I was also wondering if bringing a seed from soil in one country and plant it in another is actually allowed or not. I know there are laws about roots but dunno about seeds.

I could send the pic to the experts I suppose, but this is just a bit of fun - anyway.
And I didn't exactly say that I brought it from one country to another - I said I picked it up in Florida and planted it...
Old Posted: 05-10-2009 , 10:39 PM #9
BillieT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyWitch
I agree with Ruthie; the 'jaws' are in fact the little plant's seed leaves.

As for identifying it, we'll need to see the true leaves to help you properly. Give it a week or so & them post a new pic & we'll do our best. :)

MW

I'll do that MW - but I have to say its looking a little tired today - I have put it in a nice warm sunny spot so hopefully it will have picked up by tomorrow.
Old Posted: 06-10-2009 , 08:00 PM #10
chucken1

It looks like a venus flytrap. I had a couple of them last year.great fun feeding them flies! Lol. Dead ones obviously!!
chucken1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-10-2009 , 08:52 PM #11
Etana

Default Seedling

Thats something in the pea family, (Fabaceae) do a search for Gleditsia or Saphora, they have the same leaves as your seedling. There are more but cant remember names, they grow quite well in this country.
Etana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-10-2009 , 10:10 PM #12
Izzyizzy

Default Plant

Hi,
I think what you have there is a type of "vetch". These in the wrong place are considered to be a weed.
Izzyizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-10-2009 , 07:59 AM #13
BillieT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzyizzy
Hi,
I think what you have there is a type of "vetch". These in the wrong place are considered to be a weed.

OOps.. No wonder it's so healthy. I think I will hold on to it for another while though. I think my sister stilll has one of the seed pods that it started off in. She didnt plant hers as far as I know. That might throw a bit more light on it.
Old Posted: 12-10-2009 , 09:25 AM #14
Fries-With-That

Default Rosary Pea

I still think its a rosary pea, very common in florida, especially the theme parks.

Q. why were you looking at the ground with all those roller coasters around you.

Fries.
Fries-With-That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-10-2009 , 01:39 PM #15
Bill_D

Default Plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieT
You know what Fries? (smarty pants) When it started to grow it looked like a flytrap kinda plant - I'm still not sure haha. If it grows teeth I will be offering it on here haha.
I wonder would it come under animals and pets though?

Its ok Summersun - I think I'll just have to persuade my hubby to take me back to find out.

But if anyone is going to Busche Gardens soon... It was in a flat round black seed pod.
Go online, type in where you found it, see what plants they got, and you may spot Mummy plant......:)

might be another Bush lol....teasin :)
Bill_D is offline   Reply With Quote