JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Before & After (Upcycling)
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 04-03-2010 , 11:24 PM #1
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai

Default Amazing what people throw out! (coffee table)

This is the coffee table I took from the timber recycling skip in the recycling centre in Athlone. I'm putting up the pictures not to show my skill at restoration but to show what people throw out. This didn't cost me anything. All it needed was some sanding, cleaning and a good feed!!?? I decided to wax this piece as the wood looked in need of care. I could almost hear it drink the wax polish. another few coats over the next while and it will be back to its old self. We all have things we don't need but it's terrible to see such waste. By now this table would have been reduced to woodchip or something.
Attached Images

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 04-03-2010 , 11:36 PM #2
Cat101

Default Excellent Find

Hiya Eibhlin
I've seen alot of posts by you and I admire your work, well done. Im of the same mind set, with regard to people needlessly throwing things away.

On a different note, I know a couple that took ages looking for their perfect dining table, and after finding one and paying well for it, guess what ? WOODWORM on a new, shop bought table, wouldn't that sicken you ? People keep saying that to me when I say, I got that for nothing, or someone gave that to us, "would you not be afraid of woodworm ?" But "touch wood " (serous pun there) I never have gotten anything with woodworm in it. Anyway just thought I'd share my thoughts.
Well done again and keep up the excellent revamping,I might get around to putting up some of my bits some day but in the meantime keep inspiring us Eibhlin.
Regards cat101
Cat101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-03-2010 , 11:37 PM #3
Scrabble

This is fantastic. If you find another one let me know.LOL! I'm looking for a coffee table just like it. Glad you could rescue it.
Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-03-2010 , 11:48 PM #4
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai

Default woodworm

Hi Cat & scrabble. Thanks for positive vibe. With regard to woodworm, you only get the holes when they eat their way out. No holes in this table so it either hasn't any or they're still munching from the inside! lol Scrabble I have put my old coffee table up on furniture forum. Not as nice as this one but good enough. Eibh.
Old Posted: 05-03-2010 , 09:36 AM #5
Gormal

Wow that is some table.......I don't understand how people can throw things like that out!! Just goes to show that they have too much money and not enough sense!!!
Gormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-03-2010 , 12:19 PM #6
jenniferalan

wow that looks new after your tlc, keep up the good work!
jenniferalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-03-2010 , 04:36 PM #7
mw100860

Default coffee table

Hi Eibhlin, that is a fab coffee table, you can see the quality in it. Brilliant restoration job too. I got a lovely desk/ dressing table with matching stool in my local recycling centre. Gave the guy E10 to throw it into the back of my truck; amazing what a backhander will do!! Fantastic dovetail joints etc so just painted it white and recovered the stool and now is a lovely dressing table in my daughter's room. Its a disgrace what people throw away in this disposable society of ours. Perhaps the recession will make them think twice....
mw100860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-03-2010 , 10:28 PM #8
Deoir

just wondering if people know of other wood recycling places and do you have to pay to take away any of the items / wood there, like the really nice table above?

I would be interested in the Cork area but I think if people know of others it might be good to have them listed.

Thanks
Deoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-03-2010 , 08:11 PM #9
melissabell

That's gorgeous!!! Fair play to you for rescuing it!!!!
melissabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-03-2010 , 03:48 PM #10
unapam

Default Great Job

Hi, What a great find! Lovely to see it brought back to life (love the little heart on it too!)..Pam
unapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-03-2010 , 04:37 PM #11
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai

Default coffee table

Hi all, thanks for your interest and comments. Table settling in well--now covered in books, dust from the fire and the drawer is full of knitting patterns. Pam, Ithought you'd like the heart,the lavander inside combined with the lavender furniture wax is helping the poor old table forget its time in the skip!!
Old Posted: 15-03-2010 , 10:51 PM #12
opel astra

Hi like the table,

its amazing what people throw out, how easy is it for people to take things from the dump? was at a dump in mayo last year some guys were throwing things out including a table and chairs asked him if l could have them, was not an issue as i was taking them the guy at the dump stopped me told me i could not take them wish now i smashed them they have signs around the dump stating that you can not take anything what are other dumps like is it easy to take some thing that you might have a use for?
opel astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-03-2010 , 09:16 AM #13
Mandolin

Default 'Scavenging' at the dump

Lovely table, all your stuff is lovely! thanks for a load of brilliant ideas.

My sister's recycling centre in Cork have 'no scavenging' signs up but the guy there thinks it's a mad policy so he turns a blind eye. I think it's to do with Health & Safety (that racket!), in case you hurt yourself dragging something out of a skip, they're afraid we'll sue them - lots of people would unfortunately. It's always worth asking though. Mandolin
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-03-2010 , 02:17 PM #14
elbo

You did a great job. Well done.
elbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-03-2010 , 09:52 PM #15
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai

Default scavenging

I never saw a sign at the recycling centre to say 'no scavenging'. There are always people looking for stuff especially in the white goods area. Handy to get glass plate for microwave or parts for appliances etc. When people have something that works or is in good condition, they leave them standing beside the skip. Thats how I got the log box. There were two of them just sitting there and I took the smaller one. No-one stopped me but I didn't ask either!! Don't like that word scavenging--that means I must be a scavenger!! i prefer, re-user or re-purposer.