Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 10-04-2009 , 11:23 PM #1
jenniferalan

Default ideas for camouflaging in the garden

Hi guys

Moving into a new house and thinking up ideas for the garden lol.. It is a rectangular shaped garden, big in size enclosed with a high wall - 8 blocks and the high wall is facing our back windows. It looks very obvious at the minute and would like to camouflage it somehow.

I put an ad in wanted for some trellis.
I was thinking of putting up trellis and having some climbing plants. Is that a good idea? I think i will stay clear of ivy because parents planted that at home and it seemed to take over!! I would like something that is colourful but something that will not be very bare in the winter.

Also any ideas for covering up an oil tank? Without being a fire hazard! Was thinking of planting some trees around the tank but at the same time I want it to be accessable down the line when the trees might be huge so not sure if thats good idea! Anyone plant hedging around their tank?

Any ideas welcome :)
jenniferalan is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 10-04-2009 , 11:28 PM #2
Bawnie

Hi there i don't know a lot but i put a trellis all around my oil tank to disguise it and put up passionflower, it grew well, another one is honeysuckle, they both look very nice. Passionflower is unusual and purple, and honeysuckle i had smelled divine and was yellow! Good luck with it all.

Regarding the oil tank, i just bought a square of trellis, like a sheet, and made a three sided wall if you know what i mean, my shed was on the other side! I made sure i could access the top and the handle at the bottom. I would go out from time to time and thread the honeysuckle tentacles through the trellis, it worked well but took about a year, downside, it sheds i think in winter! Community Worshop usually does trellis's at a reasonable cost!
Bawnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-04-2009 , 11:31 PM #3
jenniferalan

Thanks for your ideas Bawnie :)
Old Posted: 22-04-2009 , 12:28 PM #4
cianer

My father also has passionflower around his tank and it works well & looks lovely. Only issue is that you have to cut it well back in the winter or all the flowers end up at the top and it gets very "stalky".

As regards your back wall trellis & climbers will work but make sure you factor in waht direction the wall is facing. For example if the wall faces north the climbing plant will be in shade most of the time and there are only a few plants that like this kind of environment. Your garden center can advise you.

Another idea if you don't want grey block visible through the trellis is to randomly paint it in camoflage colours. Buy a couple of shades of greens and brown and go nuts. Doesn't have to look amazing if it will be covered in trellis but will give the impression of having more foliage there until your climbing plants mature.
cianer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 22-04-2009 , 03:06 PM #5
misstake

Default honey suckle

dont go buying any plants of this as it grows very well from cuttings i once bought some it died so i took bits growing along the road and it is great lol also hebies grow well from cuttings just stick in the ground
You could grow some sweet pea until the honeysuckle takes off just some ideas
misstake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 22-04-2009 , 05:44 PM #6
lislaw

If you've got little ones, be careful of honeysuckle. I remember as kids we used to love pulling the flowers and sucking them for the honeysuckle juice. But too much is minimally poisonous causing vomiting, diarrhoea and can make you very lethargic.

I got a gooseberry plant for my horrible grey back wall and within a few years it had really spread out. Just cut back any shoots that grow out away from the wall and train the other branches against the wall.

I've also done the same with rosemary plants, though after a few years these need support as the branches get quite thick.

Am currently trying the same thing with raspberry plants and it's going fairly well.

I should say though, that the only one of these that stays green overwinter is the rosemary
Lisa
lislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 22-04-2009 , 08:33 PM #7
smokeyeyes

Hi Jenniferalan, I posted on another thread (think it might have been for paprika, but could be wrong!) about a plant I have used in my garder to cover a brick wall at back of large flower bed. It's a climbing geranium (cuttings received from a friend) all you need are a few cuttings to start you off. This grows very quickly and produces lovely pink flowers, while leaves remain green throughout the winter. I needs strong support like mesh to tie it to and needs to be tied in while growing, but well worth the effort. Am going to try growing this near my own oil tank soon and hopefully it will be successful, but judging by it, it seems to grow almost anywhere.

Maybe if you knew someone who had one of these plants growing you could obtain some cuttings from them, all you need is a few, or your local garden centre might have it. Best of luck.
smokeyeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-04-2009 , 09:00 PM #8
AKO5

Default Garden

When I moved in to my house the soil was really poor and I knew it would take ages for anything decent to grow.
Might not be to all tastes - But I painted the wall Blue ( yup Blue) and put fairy lights up- Look Fab in the evenings. Just an idea - But I loved it-
AKO5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-04-2009 , 12:23 PM #9
jenniferalan

Hi Cianer, thanks a mil for your great ideas. I love the idea of growing passionflower at the tank...thanks for giving me advice about what way the wall is facing I hadn't thought about that! I LOVE the idea about painting the wall different greens..just have to persuade Alan lol
Old Posted: 27-04-2009 , 12:24 PM #10
jenniferalan

Thanks Misstake. Going to try get as many cuttings as I can from neighbours and friends, hopefully something will grow lol!
Old Posted: 27-04-2009 , 12:28 PM #11
jenniferalan

Thanks Lisa for that. I was at a friends house yesterday and spotted some gooseberry plants and rosemary, so will definitely get some cuttings!
Old Posted: 27-04-2009 , 12:29 PM #12
jenniferalan

HI smokeyeyes, climbing Geranium sounds gorgeous, will have to try that too, thanks for the advice :)
Old Posted: 27-04-2009 , 12:31 PM #13
jenniferalan

AKO5 just wondering where u plugged in the fairy lights? Do u have external plugs? I love fairy lights they're so pretty :)
Old Posted: 27-04-2009 , 12:42 PM #14
sidhe.eire

depending on what way the wall is facing i know someone who grew apple trees against a south facing wall looks lovely as it splays out across it, you could paint it and use fairy lights too it would be like a little apple fairy heaven!! good luck with whatever u choose :)
sidhe.eire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 29-04-2009 , 01:57 PM #15
valjoyce

Hi Jennifer, if you have a north facing wall you could try planting hydrangea petiolaris - climbing hydrangea, it's self clinging and has a white lace cap flower
valjoyce is offline   Reply With Quote