JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Before & After (Upcycling)
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 25-10-2015 , 08:33 AM #1
slatytom

Default Rowing boat conversion to sailing dinghy

This is an old fibreglass rowing boat which I am converting to a sailing dinghy.

All the timber is rotted and needs to be replaced . I have located aluminium boom which needs to be extended to make a mast . I have a tiller and a sail. The sail needs to be reshaped cut and stitched .
I have made a center board from solid elm also have to complete the center board casing and cut a slot in the bottom of the boat.

I made a launching trolley and attached some handlebars from an old bike

I am try to locate an old sailing dinghy to get some more parts

The center board casing is now formed with plywood and coated with fibreglass ,next I have to seal the inside of the casing and the inside of the boat with Mariseal 250 liquid membrane . I have made a new seat from Spanish chesnut , In fact I have used several different hardwoods so far including mahogany ,teak, cherry and elm. I would also like to create some extra bouyancy when the boat is finished to prevent from sinking if it capsizes . I have a rubber liner from a pressure vessel of a water pump which may work but I have to attach a valve to it. I will try super glue it works well with rubber and some Firestone form flash for roofing.The mast foot (red) is adjustable as I don`t know how the boat will sit on the water ,I can adjust the angle of the mast by sliding the bolt back or forward. The red part is made from the frame of bike which held the back wheel.
Attached Images

slatytom is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 10-05-2016 , 09:25 PM #2
lily lolly

Default boat

Well done, looking forward to the finished pics!
lily lolly is offline   Reply With Quote