Old Posted: 05-05-2009 , 07:49 PM #16
jenniferalan

Thanks very much, sounds beautiful
jenniferalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-05-2009 , 08:08 PM #17
AKO5

Default Garden

Sorry Jennifer,
Yes have external power in the shed, my Husband put it in .
Will attach photo of it at night- cos I think it's lovely.

All the best
Edel
AKO5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-05-2009 , 08:17 PM #18
jenniferalan

Looking forward to seeing pics. I saw solar fairy lights on Nigels Eco Store and I'm thinking of buying them when all necessities are bought lol
Old Posted: 05-05-2009 , 08:39 PM #19
lolo1

H i Jennifer, Im not 100 % sure but not all solar lights work if there are any kind of street lights we had them in dublin but now we live in tipp they all work fine as there are no street lights cos we live in the middle of nowhere. I dont know if you ever watch the garden design programmes but i was watching once with alan titchmarsh and a girl was using broken tiles on a piece of marine ply with cement as the grout and what she made was fantastic. It was 3 different sheets with a beautiful flower scene on it no money would ever pay for something like that and it was stunning. They used it to cover a wall it was screwed onto the wall and they built the entire garden around it i have never seen anything so beautiful. Im collecting tiles at the moment myself to do something like this in the summer if we ever get one and its a project the whole family or friends or neighbours can get involved in so good luck with your garden and isnt Edels garden beautiful Go Edel.... You can buy outdoor sockets in any hardware now where you can put the plug belong to it inside the house if you drill a small hole in the wall and if your inside socket has a switch on it you can just turn on and off the switch for instant light instead of looking for plugs and all that messing anyway good luck with it all Regards Lolo
lolo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-05-2009 , 10:38 PM #20
jenniferalan

Wow ako5, your garden is gorgeous. Does those extra lights cost much? I would love to have my garden like that, also how did u stick them to the wall? :)
Old Posted: 07-05-2009 , 10:40 PM #21
jenniferalan

Hi lolo, thanks for the tip, I never knew that street lighting could effect solar lights. You're idea of mosaic tiling sounds lovely, how would u go about doing it?
Old Posted: 08-05-2009 , 08:32 PM #22
AKO5

Default Garden

I don't think they cost too much (to run) and they were just outdoor fairy lights .
We attached trellece to the wall then wove the lights up and down it in diagonals using a staple gun at stragetic points ( mm like when I thought they needed a bit of extra support)
Ran some all along the top of the fencing on the other side too- just using a staple gun.
Only thing is sometimes bulbs blow and the strand goes out so its a pain in the ass trying to find the faulty bulb.
If I were doing it again I'd invest in LED bulbs .
But I do love it and it used to look like a fairy garden I now have a loose 2year old boy so doesn't really look like a fairy garden anymore.
All loose ornaments have been removed buried or taken for drives in diggers etc.
But it can still be lovely when you no who has gone to the land of nod.
AKO5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-02-2010 , 01:25 PM #23
jenniferalan

bump please for more ideas
Old Posted: 17-02-2010 , 03:37 PM #24
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai

Default Garden walls

Hi Jennifer, A good plant to get is a cultivated briar. This is basically blackberries without thorns. You train it up the wall, trellis etc and grow your own fruit. Wall camouflage and home-made jam or berries and ice-cream with no scratches.
Another idea is to use mirrors in the garden. Attach a piece to the end wall but put a piece of wood under one side so mirror is not flat and facing you. It reflects plants off side wall and gives the impression of depth or there being something more than what you see.
We used mirrors in a couple of places where we didn't want to be looking at a blank wall--worked quite well. Put mirror behind an old window we weren't using, attached to the side wall of the shed, put window boxes underneath and everyone is fooled! At night when the lights are on in my kitchen it reflects in the mirrors and looks like a light on over there(if you know what I mean) Pics included, Eibh.
Attached Images

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-02-2010 , 04:44 PM #25
cianer

Eibhlin's message reminded me that a mate of mine went the whole hog and made her back wall look like an old cottage! It looks fantastic.

In a nutshell she had the wall rough-plastered to look like rural Irish cottage, then put in two fake windows with mirrors instead of glass and and windowsills for putting plant pots on. There was a gateway in her wall that leads to a football field behind her house so she replaced the old gate with a front door someone was throwing away (probably a jumbletown job, I forget) and painted it with outdoor wood paint for the final touch. You could leave a recess in the rough-plaster to get the same effect and just screw the door to the wall.

I'm afraid the only photo I have is a crappy camera phone one, but in the flesh its absolute genius. I can give you a (slightly) better quality version if you PM me.
Attached Images

cianer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 02-03-2010 , 09:32 PM #26
jenniferalan

hi Eibh
Sorry its taken me so long to reply. I only check JT on my phone lately and its hard to reply on a phone! Thanks for all your ideas and ur lovely pics. Also love all your repurposing, v inspiring!

Thanks Cian also for the cottage idea and the picture it really does look like a cottage its a great idea! :)