JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 05-03-2010 , 12:35 PM #1
jenniferalan

Default Cleaning Products

I recently found out that most washing powders contain Phosphates which are harmful to the environment, something I was never aware of. Also most washing powders have useless "fillers" in them. There are others out there that are more concentrated.

Have since switched to a brand that doesn't contain any Phosphates or "fillers" and one wash only takes 2 tablespoons of washing powder, estimated that one box (think 20 euro) of the stuff lasts 6months!!! much more green I think!
pm me if you want to know the brand.

Anyone else know of other ingredients in common cleaning products that are dangerous?
jenniferalan is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 05-03-2010 , 12:57 PM #2
chucken1

In June, 2002 a part-time caretaker in a Toronto school was rushed to hospital after complaining to a co-worker that she was unable to breathe. She later died in hospital. Investigators looking into the incident discovered that she had mixed a sanitizing product containing sodium hypochlorite with an acid toilet bowl cleaner. The two ingredients had reacted together to form deadly chlorine gas, which led to her death.

It's an extreme case but it's an example of the health hazards that can be associated with chlorine bleach, or sodium hypochlorite. When bleach is mixed with acids (typically found in toilet bowl cleaners), it reacts with them to form chlorine gas. When it is mixed with ammonia, it can create chloramine gas, another toxic substance.

In the environment, sodium hypochlorite is acutely toxic to fish. The chlorine in bleach can also bind with organic material in the marine environment to form organochlorines, toxic compounds that can persist in the environment.

There may be some circumstances where bleach use is necessary for disease control, but there is little need for it on a regular basis. Tests have shown that washing counters and other surfaces with soap and water removes most bacteria and there are a number of oxygen-based alternatives for laundry uses of bleach.
chucken1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-03-2010 , 12:58 PM #3
Scrabble

Hi jenniferalan,
PM sent. I'd love to know the name. I don't use alot of the cleaning products on the shop shelves. Firstly you would need a science degree to know what most of the ingredients are and I think its sad that people are conned into buying these products. There is a certain oven cleaner I woud never use because it can cause severe skin burns!!
Regards
Scrabble
Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-03-2010 , 01:13 PM #4
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

"Natural Alternatives to Cleaning Products" thread...here:
http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=25864
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-11-2012 , 11:13 AM #5
corkhygiene

Default Kitchen Hygiene

There is a full range of environmentally friendly cleaning products available. I use them mainly for kitchen surfaces.
corkhygiene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-03-2014 , 10:00 PM #6
nanoo

Default Natural products

I use lemon and water for cleaning and does the the bathroom very hygienic, fab smell also, vinaigrette is another very organic cleaner for windows and mirrors, happy cleaning
nanoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-04-2014 , 07:12 PM #7
4eyes

Default Tile grout cleaner

I use 7 cups water, half cup lemon juice and 1 cup vinegar to clean grout between my floor tiles. Leave on for about 10mins and then scrub.
4eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 30-05-2019 , 08:23 AM #8
robertsmith314

Default Helpful!!

I use lemon to clean my floor. Also, lemon juice is one of the best natural cleaners due to its low pH and antibacterial properties. Lemons also smell great and aren’t likely to cause damage to materials around what you are cleaning such as fabric or wood.
robertsmith314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-06-2019 , 09:00 PM #9
zoe in the sun

Default cleaning products

well i think everyone here are talking rubbish ....a little bit of phosphate in ur washing machine wont kill u . isnt it in everything like dairy , meat and cereal and i dont believe u can clean with just lemon ... give me my bleach any day ... the only time i use lemon is in a nice large gin ............. cheers
zoe in the sun is offline   Reply With Quote