Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 24-08-2008 , 10:43 PM #1
yvoflyer

Default help on redoing staircase

Area: misc County: Misc Status: Available
looking for some tips on how to turn white staircase rail and landing rail from white, (been white for over 20 years bout ten coats of gloss) to hopefully a finish that looks like pine
yvoflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 24-08-2008 , 11:49 PM #2
smokeyeyes

I know someone who recently stripped heavily painted wood right back to the bare wood. They used a type of thing (don't know proper name for it ) it looks like a hairdryer (think it was bought in lidl/aldi ) not expensive, and it just burned/melted paint from wood and was easily scraped off. Much better than nitramors (sp) and less messy. Would imagine you would get similar in DIY shop.
smokeyeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-08-2008 , 08:21 AM #3
yvoflyer

Default help

thanks for that advice will check it out
Old Posted: 25-08-2008 , 07:17 PM #4
Bunty

Default Re: stairs

Hi,

I think what smokeyeyes is talking about, is a blow-lamp. They are great for removing heavy old paint however unless you are extremely careful, I would be reluctant to use one myself especially indoors, a blow-lamp can be quite dangerous unless used professionally.

This is just my opinion & i'm open to correction.

Best of luck with project.

Regards,
Bunty
Bunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-08-2008 , 08:27 PM #5
sharon2

Default stairs

there is a chemical called nitromore not sure on spelling in any hardware. Very good. but strong u need black rubber gloves. put in a dish not plastic and dab on with paint brush. u will c the paint life stright a way. scrape off with a paint scraper and then sand. works wonders
sharon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-08-2008 , 09:53 PM #6
narki

Hi Yvoflyer

I have done this before on a couple of occasions ( for myself and then for my sister who loved the job I had done ) It can be quite time consuming but worth it in the end . What you need is a heat gun ( they are not as dangerous as a blow lamp ) they are around €30 in argos. You just heat the paint and follow behind it with a scrapper and the paint just falls off , then to remove any last bits of paint you will need to apply paint stripper , nitromors is very good but get the gel kind it stays on better , dash it on a smal area at a time with a small paint brush and leave for a couple of minutes then remove with rough wire wool. After you have all the paint off wash all the wood down with white spirits , it will clean it up and also neutralise the paint stripper. Finally sand it all down and varnish .

A couple of words of warning - wear thick rubber gloves when using paint stripper , it will burn you if you get any on your skin and lastly do not go near the paint stripper with the heat gun - as the fumes that it can give off if heated are highly dangerous .
narki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-08-2008 , 01:52 AM #7
smokeyeyes

That's the thing I was trying to think of name for. Heat Gun. But when I seen it used they didn't need to use nitramors, paint came clean away. Maybe just give wood a good sanding with either fine wire wool or one off those block sanders. And as Narki says rub wood down with white spirits. By the way the heat gun I heard of was only arount €7 in Lidl, so would be worth keeping an eye out for.
smokeyeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-08-2008 , 02:29 PM #8
zuess

Default Heatgun

Hi Aldi has a heatgun this week for €14.99

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2867_6823.htm
zuess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-08-2008 , 07:24 PM #9
yvoflyer

Default Thanks

thanks to all of u looking forward to gettin it started now
Old Posted: 28-08-2008 , 10:23 AM #10
Kernow

WARNING: If the paint is 20 years old, it will be lead based, so if your going to strip it with a heat gun, invest in a really good face mask, it will be worth it.
Kernow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-10-2011 , 05:04 PM #11
noddytown

Default stairs

Kernow is right , if using a heat gun wear a good quality breathing apparatus / mask . Not the cheapest one . How much is your your lung protection worth ? It will be a time consuming job to strip it all especially the nooks and crannies . You might prefer to grain the lot . Either sand it all just enough to remove the glossy sheen (to give the paint a 'key' or 'grip' ) Or you can use a product from good paint shops called ' Gloss off' . Rub on with a cloth and it will remove the glossy sheen ( and from anything you spill it on )
Then apply two coats of oil based undercoating paint .To achieve a light oak finish , use a cream undercoat. To make a pine, teak or mahogany finish use pink oil based undercoat paint.
Next go to a paint shop and get a small tin of scumble . (a thick wood stain ) Oil based if possible , though new stock in shops might be water based . Which ever you use stir it well and add a drop of thinners (white spirits or water which ever the case ) Paint each string on the stairs or any small areas first with a 1 inch brush , then have another new 1 inch brush to ''grain'' the piece of wood .
Dip this brush first into the scumble and brush it out on a piece of waste material or cardboard Wipe it with an old cloth , and then lightly brush it down over area you've painted . Wipe off excess paint from around the area. Leave the handrail till last . Leave to dry . Protect from anyone touching before dry as cannot be touched up, really . Varnish over the next day , a few coats .. Take a photo for Jumbletown !!! ZZZzzzzzz........
noddytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-10-2011 , 05:26 PM #12
noddytown

Default stairs

Kernow is right , if using a heat gun wear a good quality breathing apparatus / mask . Not the cheapest one . How much is your your lung protection worth ? It will be a time consuming job to strip it all especially the nooks and crannies . You might prefer to grain the lot . Either sand it all just enough to remove the glossy sheen (to give the paint a 'key' or 'grip' ) Or you can use a product from good paint shops called ' Gloss off' . Rub on with a cloth and it will remove the glossy sheen ( and from anything you spill it on )
Then apply two coats of oil based undercoating paint .To achieve a light oak finish , use a cream undercoat. To make a pine, teak or mahogany finish use pink oil based undercoat paint.
Next go to a paint shop and get a small tin of scumble . (a thick wood stain ) Oil based if possible , though new stock in shops might be water based . Which ever you use stir it well and add a drop of thinners (white spirits or water which ever the case ) Paint each string on the stairs or any small areas first with a 1 inch brush , then have another new 1 inch brush to ''grain'' the piece of wood .
Dip this brush first into the scumble and brush it out on a piece of waste material or cardboard Wipe it with an old cloth , and then lightly brush it down over area you've painted . Wipe off excess paint from around the area. Leave the handrail till last . Leave to dry . Protect from anyone touching before dry as cannot be touched up, really . Varnish over the next day , a few coats .. Take a photo for Jumbletown !!! ZZZzzzzzz........
noddytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-10-2011 , 11:26 PM #13
TickTock

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyeyes
I know someone who recently stripped heavily painted wood right back to the bare wood. They used a type of thing (don't know proper name for it ) it looks like a hairdryer (think it was bought in lidl/aldi ) not expensive, and it just burned/melted paint from wood and was easily scraped off. Much better than nitramors (sp) and less messy. Would imagine you would get similar in DIY shop.

Sounds like a paint stripper.
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-10-2011 , 03:15 PM #14
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai

There is a product you canbuy called 'paint and grain' and despite my scepticism with these easy to use products, I found it did 'exactly what it says on the tin'. I changed all the white paintwork to pine look in a bedroom, which included a pannelled door and carved moldings and architraves. The finish was very hardwearing and never had to do a touch up. Eibhlin. ps if you decide to use the heat gun and nitromors route, dental floss works very well for getting paint out of the carving on stair spindles.
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai is offline   Reply With Quote