JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 23-11-2009 , 09:42 PM #1
vfom

Default How can I repopulate my wormery?

I have been using a can o'worms wormery for the past couple of years very successfully but this summer all the worms died suddenly. Interestingly my friend's worms died at the same time. I have been wondering about how I could repopulate the wormery without having to buy them for €50. I have easy access to horse manure and have an ordinary compost bin. Does anyone know if it is worth just adding some compost with worms in it from my compost bin or using horse manure? vfom
vfom is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 23-11-2009 , 10:32 PM #2
thepallasbull

a very simple and effective way of getting blue skull worms is to mix a large bucket of water and washing up liquid and when its misting rain for a while spread it over an area of your lawn and watch what happens . all the worms come to the surface and you can catch them . Great fun I used to do it all the time to keep a stock for fishing, at 1 stage i had over 5000
Regards Pat
thepallasbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-11-2009 , 11:23 PM #3
summersun

SORRY VFOM, To jump in on your thread... but have to ask a stupid question... Pat these worms you are talking about are they just your ordinary garden worms.....

Vfom do you have any ideas how to start a wormery from new????? is it an easy task ???

thanks a lot

Summersun xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepallasbull
a very simple and effective way of getting blue skull worms is to mix a large bucket of water and washing up liquid and when its misting rain for a while spread it over an area of your lawn and watch what happens . all the worms come to the surface and you can catch them . Great fun I used to do it all the time to keep a stock for fishing, at 1 stage i had over 5000
Regards Pat
summersun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-11-2009 , 11:41 PM #4
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersun
...any ideas how to start a wormery from new????? is it an easy task ???

thanks a lot

Summersun xxx
Hi Summersun,

You may be interested in a few existing threads relating to wormeries in the Green Tips forum. Please see here:

http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/sear...archid=1728476

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-11-2009 , 02:18 AM #5
thepallasbull

just checked and yes the common garden worm can be used as well , mostly its the common manure worm which is pinky red in color being used
at the end of the day once they eat the waste and produce what you want then your sorted
Regards Pat
thepallasbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-11-2009 , 09:19 PM #6
vfom

Default worm repopulation

Thanks for you suggestions. When I was emptying out my compost bin, I found that it was fulll of worms so I took some from there and added them into the wormery with worm treat and moved them into the greenhouse. If they stay happy maybe their numbers will expand enough to keep the wormery going. Fingers crossed
Old Posted: 04-12-2009 , 01:58 AM #7
chucken1

Default worms

Just thought I might add this here... 50e in Ireland for can o worms......5euro in Poland. Just back. Saw them in pet?...shops. Honestly we were thinking of bringing back a few cans and becoming multi millionaires! cc..lol
chucken1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-12-2009 , 11:34 PM #8
vfom

Thanks for the information. I cant help feeling that we are bein ripped of in Ireland. it is €150for the can o worms and actually €50 for just the worms! vfom
Old Posted: 17-12-2009 , 09:36 PM #9
Eggle

Default Wormery Worms

Hi
I have tons of worms in my wormery, I'm in Kilcoole in Wicklow, if you want to PM me you are welcome to some of them.
Regards
Eggle
Eggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-12-2009 , 07:20 PM #10
vfom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggle
Hi
I have tons of worms in my wormery, I'm in Kilcoole in Wicklow, if you want to PM me you are welcome to some of them.
Regards
Eggle
Thanks very much for the offer Eggle, The last time I looked a few days ago, I was encouraged to see them doing quite well. I am in Donegal but from time to time would be in Dublin. I have a brother in Kilpedder. I will keep an eye on the situation and if necessary, I will get back to you witha view to getting some from you.

Best Wishes vfom
Old Posted: 20-12-2009 , 11:15 AM #11
N00dle

Default wormery

HI folks,
I got a second hand can-o-worms and tried using normal garden worms and couldn't keep them happy. My compost heap is only up and running so I don't have enough of those ones to use yet.
I was going to wait until the spring to repopulate cause I thought they didn't like winter. (I don't have a green house yet)

Eggle, I am in south Dublin and would love to chat to you and get some tips on keeping my worms alive and if you had a few hardy fellows you could give me to get up and running again I would be delighted to give them a little holiday and would do my best to keep them fat and happy.
Thanks
N00dle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-12-2009 , 03:20 PM #12
Eggle

Default Wormery Worms

Hi Noodle

I will do some work on my wormery over christmas (weather permitting) and put some worms to one side for you and see if they will multiply. It might be best to wait until late february or so when the coldest weather is over (hopefully) before moving them. mine are in a very sheltered area so the cold doesnt seem to bother them too much. If you PM me in late Feb / early March we can arrange to meet up.
Merry Christmas!
Eggle
Eggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-01-2010 , 04:02 PM #13
N00dle

will do thanks a million,
Hope you had a lovely Christmas and new year
N00dle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-01-2010 , 02:29 PM #14
Rufus Fornow

Default worms.

If you know anyone with horses, get one shovelful of manure from their dungheap. It will be full of worms!
Rufus Fornow is offline   Reply With Quote