JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 16-11-2010 , 05:50 PM #1
palminnie1

Default sharing accommodation - sharing costs?

I will be moving in shortly with another person (relative).
I am very money concious, she never seems to turn off the heating, leaves place in a tip, and uses credit cards etc.
she also has a condition where her memory is so bad she needs visual cues to remind her.
any ideas for helping her in a non offensive way, eg timers/cut off for electricty.
before we get lessons in psychiatry, psychology, determinology (made that up myself)! i want to start think about stratedgies!
sorry lots of typos but one has to be prepared for the big freeze on the economic front with a rabid money user.]
all advice will be considered deeply and carefully.
xp
palminnie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 16-11-2010 , 07:34 PM #2
intransit

Start off by fitting energy saving light bulbs in every room in the house.
Ideal heating setting is 21(deg C) so set the thermosat to that.
If a timer is fitted to the heating system, use it, setting it to come on and off as required.
you could spend money on push button light switches for rooms like the hall etc which dont need to be lit constantly.
These are the type you press to come on and they will slowly release the push button unti the light goes off again. (often seen in b&bs etc)
If she forgets to turn off a light it wont matter as it wont stay on long anyway.
Things like the tv and stereo could be run off a plug in timer that can be set to turn off the power to them at a set time each night.
just a few ideas that spring to mind.
intransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-11-2010 , 06:45 PM #3
palminnie1

Default very good tips here much appreciated.

great tips, absolutely!
if we divide the house into two flats sort of thing, is it expensive to SEPARATE the wires for heating/lighting etc.
anyone have any 'best ideas' for external studio room and storage, i have been looking at the studio rooms etc on the net,they are a bit naff and not that cosy looking.
there is a site called 'shed working' anyone seen that, thats the sort of thing i would love, a good run down thing, but eco and heat friendly and a room with a view.
the pods are too - clinical for me.
And expensive.
my relative and i are now disabled and we need to conserve as much as we can for the future.
all the best to everyone.
havent been on here for quite some time, nice to be back.
love the 'before and after' especially.
xxxpalminnie or minniepal which ever!
palminnie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-11-2010 , 07:41 PM #4
intransit

Your looking at 2 esb meters and rewiring each studio to a separate meter, no one could estimate the cost until they see whats involved, its not a major job for a qualified electrician, many houses have been divided into apartments and have such a system in place, same rules would apply for the heating system but you will need an extra boiler in one of the studios.
intransit is offline   Reply With Quote