JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 07-06-2012 , 10:08 AM #1
alexmurry

Default Gardening - trellises and growing climbing plants tips?

I thought of creating trellises and growing climbing plants around 3 bins in the front garden. Anyone have more economic, constructive or artistic suggestions? Thanking you in anticipation.
P.S. I think "Jumbletown" itself is a great 'invention' with so many creative suggestions and so entertaining.
alexmurry is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 07-06-2012 , 08:26 PM #2
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmurry
I thought of creating trellises and growing climbing plants around 3 bins in the front garden. Anyone have more economic, constructive or artistic suggestions? Thanking you in anticipation.
P.S. I think "Jumbletown" itself is a great 'invention' with so many creative suggestions and so entertaining.
Hi Alex, you could use trellis and climbing plants but you need to remember that climbing plants do just that--climb and within a year or so, you will have little growth around the lower part where you want to screen, as the plant reaches skywards.
It might be better to choose a few shrubs that stay green all year round and grow to about 4-5 foot high-ideal for height of bins. You could try laurel, spotted laurel or red robin, all types of hedging. Or Bay which stays green all year round and you can dry the leaves for herbal use in soups and casseroles. Choicea (mexican orange blossom) is another good screener. While you are waiting for them to grow a bit, you could add some willow screening which comes on a roll in 1M and 2M height and can be got in Woodies and other such shops and is not that expensive. The beauty with these types of plants is that if they get too tall, you just cut them to the desired height and it will encourage growth lower down the stems which improves the screen value.
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-06-2012 , 09:07 PM #3
TickTock

Just wanted to say I have a Mexican Orange Blossom at my front gate. Its a pity the little white flowers only last a few weeks but during that time, particularly on a warm day, the scent is just intoxicating and passers-by often stop to enjoy its perfume. Otherwise it is a tidy and obedient plant with not too much demands which is great for non-green fingered folk like myself! I intend getting another one soon.
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-06-2012 , 08:15 PM #4
alexmurry

Default gardening - trellises & growing climbing plants tips

Thank you Tick Tock, sounds great! I will consider it.
alexmurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-06-2012 , 11:15 PM #5
palminnie2

Default good advice

i am a beginner at the ole gardening, thought that putting up a short list of shrub ideas etc excellent.
would any of these be good for a screen divide in a very windy garden, well it is in winter for sure and some of the days we have just had.
palminnie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-08-2012 , 11:04 AM #6
jo90

Default hiding bins

I bought a bin shed made from panelling wood with small gaps btween each panel, it only held two bins so using the same pattern I used old panels and made a third section. Painted with the same stain as my trellis and garden panels it is neat and tidy and does not look as if it contains bins, it is an attractive store. If you can imagine an oblong for each bin with a slightly arched rounded roof, each roof section lifts ondependantly to put in rubbish and there is a a door on each section to take bins in and out. The whole lot could be made from scratch, I was lucky and got it on sale but I am going to make another to store brshes and small garden tools.
jo90 is offline   Reply With Quote