JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Before & After (Upcycling)
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 17-04-2013 , 04:04 PM #1
Pacman

Default Up-cycled furniture

Just thought I'd share this as Jumble Town is a fantastic resource that helps keep waste down and you never know what another person needs or wants: my motto is "One's man's junk is another mans treasure".

I got this telephone table last year and enjoyed up-cycling it. It was easy enough to do - just keep all the bits of stuffing etc and take photos if you need to reference back (not much need on this one).
Attached Images

Pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 17-04-2013 , 04:16 PM #2
Pacman

Default Piano Stool

Here is another project: the stool we had used for the piano was given to us by someone and had seen better days so it was time to sort it out. I took photos along the way of the inside to see what I should be doing with the threads etc. This took about 8 hours all in all.
Attached Images

Old Posted: 17-04-2013 , 06:29 PM #3
trish53

Default up cycle

Absolutely amazing,your extremely talented
trish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-04-2013 , 07:10 PM #4
rubyruby

Default job well done

Really love what you have done, just goes to show what crafty people can do with things others think is junk and would throw away, great job,..
rubyruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-04-2013 , 07:58 PM #5
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Fantastic work, Pacman!

Many thanks for sharing and inspiring!

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-04-2013 , 09:54 PM #6
Leo1

Fantastic work! Can I ask you what type of paint and primer did you use on the phone table?
Leo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-04-2013 , 05:03 PM #7
felix1

Default Fab Job

Two beautiful pieces now. Well done you
felix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-04-2013 , 09:12 PM #8
irishrose

Lovely work!
irishrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-04-2013 , 07:36 AM #9
Pacman

Default Try it yourselves!

Thanks for all the comments. These were just to encourage others to try these things. The telephone table above was fairly easy - it was just a thing of painting and then putting on the upholstery straight (keeping in mind the pattern and "measure twice, cut once policy).

The poof was a bit more tricky but very doable if you can use a sewing machine and have large needles and a staple gun. For anyone in Dublin, Kevin at East Wall Market is a wonderful place for material - €3 a meter: you can't beat that!!! Makes attempting these things affordable and no big loss if it doesn't work out.

Leo, I used Woodies pure brilliant white for wood and metal undercoat, and Woodies satinwood soft sand for interior wood and metal. I wanted that 'antique cream' kind of colour. I spoke with a very helpful guy there earlier in the week (a bit of a rarity in Woodies), who told me that you can now download an app and it will colour match and then they make it from that. I think that is Dulex. Also, he gave me a colour card and said if I picked a colour, that they could match it and make it up. It worked out cheaper than buying the colour ready made on the shelf - which I did the last time! Useful advise.

Hoping to start a new piece today :-)
Old Posted: 19-04-2013 , 11:27 AM #10
Leo1

Good luck with your new piece; looking forward to seeing the pictures. Thank you for the advice. I have an old super value wine press that I am going to upcycle.
Leo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-04-2013 , 02:09 PM #11
Rachelirl

Default well done

Well done, It's great to see more people up-cycling. I love seeing new items added to the before and after forum - keep up the good work!
Rachelirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 29-04-2013 , 10:34 PM #12
Pacman

Default The latest piece

I got this chair from a JT user. It looks very pink in the photo but it's actually red.

I did not collect it so did not see that there was no back cushion so if anyone has one that is no good to them anymore I would be grateful. It would just finish it off. I know I can get foam from Zhivago's but it's a little pricy for my budget. The width at the back is 50cm at the bottom. I did put a thread in 'wanted' and have replied to numerous threads of people giving away chairs / couches to say that if they didn't go, could I have the cushion. I understand why they don't want to part with them - useless without but if it is heading for the dump, I'd be delighted.

So! The chair. It took about a week in between other commitments just to take out the staples and strip it down! After that, it was a bit like doing a 5000 piece jig saw: you need patience, and to be able to piece it all together.

It only took two days to upholster once it was all ready to go. All I need now is a back cushion :-D

Thanks Rachael and Leo I am looking forward to seeing pics.
Attached Images

Old Posted: 02-05-2013 , 08:37 PM #13
melissabell

I love upcycling too and I must say you're really good at it well done :)
melissabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-07-2013 , 08:51 PM #14
jeep2

I wish I had as much talent in my whole body as some of you JTrs have in your little finger! Well done.
jeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 28-09-2013 , 09:54 AM #15
Pacman

Default Bet you do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep2
I wish I had as much talent in my whole body as some of you JTrs have in your little finger! Well done.

Jeep2 just give it a try: what have you got to loose? If you get a piece of furniture for free and only spend a small amount on materials there is little loss if it doesn't work out but immense satisfaction if it does!! ;-)

There is a wealth of information on the internet and also here: you could post a pic of your project and ask for help or advise. And if your paint job does not look good - well it can be sanded and started again. Go on give it a try. And post your before and after photos when you do: we'd love to see them!