JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 04-11-2008 , 07:45 PM #16
mammasboys

Default sponges

The same sort of sponges are in Aldi too, in a pink box if I recall. I saw them fairly recently. I found them great for things like propolis which my beekeeping hubby walked into the vinyl flooring! Good luck
mammasboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-11-2008 , 09:41 PM #17
magiceight

I used to just stick a big piece of paper over the wall at his favourite spot when mine was little. Old wallpaper with the white side facing out is good.
magiceight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-11-2008 , 11:50 PM #18
bluecurlygirl

Default Stall a halt

Annari1 and Summersum - the sponges are scarce because (I stand to be corrected on this) but I believe they're off the market. They're lethal especially with kids. There are all kinds of chemicals in them that can cause your children to explode in very, very nasty blisters all over in minutes. I jest not. DON'T TOUCH THEM. Thanks and best of luck. Let us know what works best please.
bluecurlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-11-2008 , 12:32 PM #19
jeana

I've noticed both an increase in kids who like to help Mummy clean and kids with all sorts of rashes and spots- Most products that work to remove stains also remove layers of skin. Does anyone have a recipe for a sort of Jif type product- I remember my mum metioning bread soda, baking soda stuff like that. I suppose with kids running around sometimes you have to accept scuffed walls and grubby handprints- lol.
Jeana
jeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-11-2008 , 11:13 PM #20
Annari1

Default Re:sponges

That's a frightening thought, bluecurlygirl. I had never heard that before. Mind you, I did wonder why they seemed to be harder to find now. A few years ago they were hailed as the great new household cleaning item. I will have to do a little research and see what I can find out about that. On the scribbling front, I will just have to persevere with trying out all the different ideas before I have to resort to painting over it all. I've discovered her new drawing spot right behind the sitting room armchair where she could'nt be seen. She's not yet 2!! How am I supposed to keep up with a mind like that?
Annari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-11-2008 , 11:58 PM #21
Bawnie

What about what she's using to draw with? Could you perhaps look into different types, washable Crayola's or so??? Just an idea, or do a reward programme with her.. She uses say the Wallpaper, she gets reward.. Not sure.. They are hard to pin down at that age!

Maybe make some home made playdough and sit her at the table.. Playdough, rough ingredients: Plain flour, salt(so it won't be eaten), some veg oil, mixed in water with some food colouring, lots of colours out there! Google might help you with proper recipe! Playdough will also tire her hands out, so she might change from colouring walls to playdough. Worth a try maybe? You'll need to sit with her though to show her how to use playdough. It's good fun. All the best.
Bawnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-11-2008 , 12:11 AM #22
jeana

Any tips on taking biro scribbles off a brown leather sofa- It's not rubbing off easily. I was asking all the kids who did it and the 15 month old was mumbling something incomprehensible so I reckon it was her-lol, I'm sure there's plenty more where that came from.
Jeana
jeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-11-2008 , 12:56 AM #23
smokeyeyes

Hi Jeana, try spraying any type of perfume/ aftershave, leave for a minute or so and use tissue to wipe off. This generally works on biro on any surfaces without harming the surface. I have used this to remove biros from leather handbags, fabrics etc.. and doesn't leave nasty smell. Hope it works for you.
smokeyeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-11-2008 , 12:49 PM #24
foxysam

Hairspray takes off crayon. Not sure bout the pen etc though.
foxysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-11-2008 , 01:20 PM #25
kiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersun
Hi Annari,

I have the same problem as well and found an amazing sponge that does work 1000% guaranteed, only problem is whether you can still get them now..... Once or twice a year LIDL bring out a range of cleaning cemicals and amongst the range is a pink and white sponge called Aqua Pur Dirt eraser sponge it is in a pack of two and only costs about two eurro but it does work my artists got permanent pen (lots of ) on my oak kitchen table and nothing would budge this NOTHING. A friend recomended this sponge and i ridiculed this stupid chemical free sponge BUT I ATE MY WORDS with no elbow grease or effort of any kind the permanent pen disappeared and left no trace at all, it has also removed ink and marker pans on walls and the stairs and spindles,. These sponges were in lidl's a few months ago so i am not sure when they will be in again but if you pm me your address i will send you one of my treasured sponges..... keep an eye out in lidls leaflets or if i see them coming up in the future i will pm you
Good Luck Summersun

this sponge is available in alot of garages! just rub it softly for longer instead of scrubbing to get it done fast because they can damage paint, they took biro off my wall so they are strong!
kiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-11-2008 , 09:33 PM #26
bluecurlygirl

Default Leather sofa

I don't know if it'll take biro off but I do know that the baby wipes are great for leather furniture. They condition the leather while cleaning it and make it last longer!
bluecurlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-11-2008 , 11:44 AM #27
Elnr83

Default Home-made playdoh

I would def recommend BUYING the play-doh because it comes out of everything where as the home made stuff will never come out of carpets etc and is a total b***h to clean up.
Elnr83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-03-2009 , 12:33 AM #28
Betty_Bubbles

from experience i know spraying hairspray works on crayon marks...spray it on liberally and then wipe off with a cotton cloth....

also i have heard vaseline melts mascara on walls and you just wipe it off after a few minutes with a cotton wool ball....maybe it'll work with crayon as well....friend of mine saw these two on how clean is your house....great for picking up tips on...i've an endless supply of lemons and salt for household jobs now because of them...never buying those manufactured cleaners again...such a waste of money!
Betty_Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-03-2009 , 12:19 PM #29
susannn10

Default Crayon marks

I spent ages trying to get crayon off my walls and then out the the blue it hit me.. Melt it off, as they are wax. I just used the hair dryer and a cloth and it came off straight away with no problems. Still trying to figure out the colouring pencil though!
susannn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-03-2009 , 04:34 PM #30
jennie

Quote:
Originally Posted by susannn10
I spent ages trying to get crayon off my walls and then out the the blue it hit me.. Melt it off, as they are wax. I just used the hair dryer and a cloth and it came off straight away with no problems. Still trying to figure out the colouring pencil though!

Lol I had this prob when I was sketching I'd have the pencils stuck in my hair, & needless to say I walked too close to walls or leaned on them! Got if off with a pencil eraser noooo problem, but not them hard ones or really rubbery ones they make a complete mess, you need a plain white soft spongey one. Get them in any good office or art supply shop.
jennie is offline   Reply With Quote