Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 26-03-2009 , 07:42 PM #1
ark

Default compost

Area: wicklow County: Wicklow Status: Available
I opened my compost bin on monday to add some veg cutting. Inside there were lots of ants and other creepy crawlies. My problem is I did not see any worms. Do I need to start again?

thanks
ark
ark is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 07-04-2009 , 08:20 PM #2
shelleybell

Hi I've had a compost for a year now and never seen any worms in it just flys and bugs. As long as you give it a bit of a mix every now and again and keep composted veg peelings small(ie.no whole fruit or veg) then it seems to works its way down. I emptied mine out the other day and it was practically like topsoil it was great. Friends had told me though it would take a year before I could use the compost so I had left it until now to use any.
Hope this is helpful
shelleybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-04-2009 , 08:26 PM #3
lislaw

If you want worms in there then you'll have to chuck in a few to get them started. The bugs are doing a great job at the moment eating and defecating (urgh) and having little baby bugs to recycle all your waste.
Word to the wise: As the weather gets a bit warmer then the number of flies etc in your bin will increase exponentially so when you open the lid stand back!!! I will never forget the face full of flies I got my first year composting. yuck!
Lisa
lislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-04-2009 , 12:32 AM #4
ark

Default compost

Thanks for that information on the compost it great to hear its working.
Old Posted: 10-04-2009 , 12:10 PM #5
beermick

Hi,
I used a composting agent that I bought in aldi in my compost bin over the last year. I was woriied about how it would affect the compost in regards to it being organic but when I emptied the bin about 3 weeks ago it was absolutley teaming with worms. I had also seen nothing but bugs & flies on top over the past year but there were definatley loads of worms underneath. The only problem I had was that the compost was very moist and some not completley broken down, so I did not get much useable compost from the bin. I have decided to replace the compost bin with a dual compost box I intend to build from timber. This way I will be able to turn the compost while it's breaking down and also rest one pile while filling the other. All the books I have read on the subject suggest that this is the best way to go.
beermick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-04-2009 , 06:52 PM #6
ark

Default compost

Hi beermick
I am also useing a plastic compost bin.i bought it in a recycle centre 2 years ago.It is near impossible to turn the compost because the neck of the bin is so narrow.Ialso tried a composting agent I opened the bin today there was no bugs,worms.ants or flies only slurry grass.Iput old newspapers in today and more agent to see will it help.I think I will go your way and build a duel compost box
thanks all
ark
Old Posted: 04-08-2011 , 10:42 AM #7
Robyn's Mum

Default compost

To all,
I started my compost bin about 4 years ago and this year was the second year running that we used our own organic compost. Never added any compost agent, bugs, worms, newspapers, etc. Wasn't convinced at first that it would work but if you stick at it, it'll work and I am really impressed by the good quality compost we got.

Decided to turn the compost early this year and took me the best part of a sunny afternoon to empty out the bin into various wheelbarrows and assorted containers. Throughout the compost there were plenty of worms and bugs and creepy crawlies so I'd say it you wait long enough, they'll come.

Happy gardening!
B.
Robyn's Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-08-2011 , 07:45 PM #8
kilk

if you like to make your own composter, use an old washing machine tub. bury it in the soil with the opening upwards and the worms will come in through the holes. can be a bit heavy removing when full so leave plenty of loose soil around the outside..
kilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-10-2011 , 07:35 AM #9
Horse

Default compost

It depends on a lot of things, whats in the bin?, what type of bin your using? Are you turning it? etc.. To be honest unless you actually go digging in the compost bin you are not likely to see worms anyway. My father used to collect a few when he was digging the the veg patch and throw them in the bin, and then they would be returned to the soil when e added the compost. in household composting (in theory anyway) the worms come up from the ground and the bugs you see eat away from the top even those annoying flies and bluebottles. so there all doing the same job just differently. I work in green waste/composting industry, if you require any information feel free to contact me
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-10-2011 , 08:01 AM #10
Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ark
Hi beermick
I am also useing a plastic compost bin.i bought it in a recycle centre 2 years ago.It is near impossible to turn the compost because the neck of the bin is so narrow.Ialso tried a composting agent I opened the bin today there was no bugs,worms.ants or flies only slurry grass.Iput old newspapers in today and more agent to see will it help.I think I will go your way and build a duel compost box
thanks all
ark

Hi there. I just seen you post. theres a chance the agent you are using has a bug repelent in it thats why you have not bugs. Your right in saying that its a total pain to turn compost in the plastic bins but they wernt designed for that,they were designed for people whom live in say housing estates with small back gardens and plant pots. The idea is you should need to you alot of compost at one time so use the compost from the bottom via the flat at the bottom and the compost is supposed to fall down bit by bit thus airing it as you empty the bin. Some serious gardeners have told me that they make a separate base for a plastic drum or similar to fit the bin, and alternate, remove the bin to the new base and then fill the bin again. Fine if you have nothing better to doing...
As for the grass slurry, are you just putting grass cuttings in the bin? You need to mix the grass with other organic matter potato peelings, rotten fruit & veg etc. The grass on its own will take years to compost.
Hope this info helps you?
If you`d like to know more feel free to contact me.
Scott
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote