JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 28-08-2009 , 08:51 AM #1
Anfearisfearr

Default Wheely-bin Spuds

Just seen a great idea for a burned or cracked wheely bin. Been to a friends house whose wheely bin had been set alight due to hot ashes.front only burnt.He tie wrapped the lid shut.Placed the bin on its back and cut all of the now top off.Filled it with soil and now has crop of carrots and lettuce.Says he grew almost four stone of spuds in it last year.When it is in the way he lifts back and wheels it elsewhere.
Anfearisfearr is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 28-08-2009 , 09:03 AM #2
nanny56

Default Wheelie bin spuds

I love the idea of wheelie bin spuds! Especially when you can tip it up and pop it the corner over the winter (that's if its not filled with winter cabbages,kale). Hope you dont mind if I pass it on to fellow growyourownbloggers in Westmeath.

Thanks for that
nanny56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-03-2010 , 10:16 PM #3
Gormal

I know this is last years post but what a fab idea, I wondered how to grow edibles with nowhere to put them, as the only possible garden area is dark shady bit, with zero sun.
Gormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-03-2010 , 06:18 PM #4
intransit

I am intrested in this as ive 2 wheelie bins in our new house and no idea what company owns them so was wondering what to use them for.
does anyone have photos or a link to growing stuff in wheelie bins.
intransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-03-2010 , 01:03 AM #5
Gormal

I would say that Anfearisfearr's friend had it right with lying on it's back and cutting out the front/top, I would imagine there would be drainage holes in the bottom with perhaps some stones to help with the drainage. As for planting stuff in it, just the same as you would in the ground, just think of it as a mini version.

I've read of people growing potatoes in stacked car tyres, when they harvest them they just remove a tyre at a time.

You could use one for veg and the other for a water butt.

Makes me wish they hadn't collected the old bins when we moved in!!!

Well good luck in whatever you decide to do with them
Old Posted: 25-03-2010 , 03:42 PM #6
TickTock

Default Wheely-bin Spuds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormal

Hi Gormal, I'm curious. What do you mean by this? If the bins are council bins shouldn't they have stayed with the house? Maybe its different from council to council!
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-03-2010 , 05:59 PM #7
Gormal

Yes they were council bins, a man came with his pick-up and took them away after they had been emptied. About 2 weeks after we moved in. With the amount you pay annually in standing charge they shouldn't be allowed to take them back!! LOL
Old Posted: 25-03-2010 , 11:52 PM #8
intransit

Quote:
I would say that Anfearisfearr's friend had it right with lying on it's back and cutting out the front/top, I would imagine there would be drainage holes in the bottom with perhaps some stones to help with the drainage. As for planting stuff in it, just the same as you would in the ground, just think of it as a mini version.

I've read of people growing potatoes in stacked car tyres, when they harvest them they just remove a tyre at a time.

You could use one for veg and the other for a water butt.

Well good luck in whatever you decide to do with them
Do veg require a certain depth to grow in? The water butt is a nice idea, my bins are not council, we have many private contracters here and any I rang said they dont own the bins, so looks like I have a couple of bins to play with.
Old Posted: 26-03-2010 , 04:56 PM #9
Gormal

If your growing root veg (carrots, turnip parsnip or potatoes) I would say you would have to fill it almost to 10cm from the brim.
If you grow Brussel sprouts, cabbage cauliflower etc then just over half full would do.
Old Posted: 27-03-2010 , 05:57 PM #10
intransit

Quote:
If your growing root veg (carrots, turnip parsnip or potatoes) I would say you would have to fill it almost to 10cm from the brim.
If you grow Brussel sprouts, cabbage cauliflower etc then just over half full would do.
Thanks for the tips, I will cut one bin nest week and make the waterbutt from the second one.