julfren

Default Disposal of Disposable nappies

Hi
Any advice on above in as green a way as can be managed. Thanks
julfren is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 06-09-2010 , 10:58 AM #2
TickTock

Disposable nappies are difficult to dispose of, and now with bin charges it costs you money both to buy 'em and dispose of 'em. When My children were babies I mainly used terry towel nappies and I only used the disposable ones when I was visiting the grannies just for handiness sake. Sorry can't really be of any help on this one.
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-09-2010 , 06:55 PM #3
tash6987

i was reading on one of the websites by an american super recycler and she said to dispose of disposable nappies to soak them overnight (removing any poo beforehand!!), drain, and then peel away the plastic outside bit (this has to be thrown away) but the mush that is left can be used for compost!!
hope this helps!!
tash6987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-09-2010 , 05:42 PM #4
MuddyWitch

If you are going to all that trouble, why not just use terries in the first place?

I did with my girls & it was rarely more trouble. After my girls were past the nappy stage, I gave them an extra boil wash & then dyed them to match the bathroom & kitchen, (the nappies; not my daughters!) They did service as hand towels for ages. (The last one 'died' last year, & my youngest is 18!) When the are too far gone for towels, they were then used for floor cloths, & then finally composted as they are 100% cotton. (I used veg based dyes too, btw).

MW
MuddyWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-09-2010 , 06:14 PM #5
TickTock

I did the same except I didn't dye them. When my two babies were beyond nappies I found I had some brand new ones still in a pack from the shop. I finished using them as all sorts of cloths, dusters, etc., just a couple of years ago and my 'babies' are nearly in their thirties now!! Great value them terries!
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-09-2010 , 01:55 PM #6
julfren

Quote:
Originally Posted by tash6987
i was reading on one of the websites by an american super recycler and she said to dispose of disposable nappies to soak them overnight (removing any poo beforehand!!), drain, and then peel away the plastic outside bit (this has to be thrown away) but the mush that is left can be used for compost!!
hope this helps!!

Thanks for replies. I was already thinking along the lines of tash6987's suggestion. When my now grown up children were babies I used terry nappies, never used disposable. But I am now a grandmother and need to dispose of disposable nappies when they visit or come to stay. Maybe the purchase of my own collection of bamboo nappies might be appropriate, though I believe that they are very expensive.

Regards
julfren
julfren is offline   Reply With Quote