JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 09-11-2010 , 02:44 PM #1
intransit

Default how to recycle an old caravan.

I was on the lookout for an old caravan which I planned to strip and use to convert my van to a camper.
The one I was offered was not roadworthy so I broke it up on site and removed all the interior.
Once the body had been taken off, I had a base which would make a great trailer, complete with brakes and jockey wheel.
I also got some parts from an old mobile home for the camper conversion.
Everything Ive used so far is recycled materials including the timber frame for the trailer (all got from rummaging through skips in industrial estates).
The caravan had rear lights which I will reuse on the trailer.

so if anyone is looking for a cheap trailer or you want to convert your van to a camper, look out for an old caravan, it serves both purposes.
Photos are a bit mixed up, but you can see the trailer starting to take shape, the cream u shape seating is the inside of my van, Ive loads more to do including fitting the cooker and sink from the caravan.
I must add every part of the caravan has been recycled, the metal sheeting on the body was collected by a scrap merchant, the timber within the frame of the body was chopped up for firewood, nothing was sent to landfill.
Attached Images

intransit is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 10-11-2010 , 09:48 PM #2
Scrabble

Great job. Its nice to know that it was all recycled. I'm on the lookout for a small old caravan to use as a summer house.
Regards
Scrabble
Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-11-2010 , 09:59 PM #3
palminnie1

Default like the summerhouse idea!

yes, i like that idea alright! would be great, and fun, especially if you give it a good dollop of 60's or 70's style but you probably a lot younger than that! i am not.
xpal
palminnie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-11-2010 , 10:02 PM #4
MuddyWitch

If the caravan is a really old one as ours was, (older than me...so ancient!!!), it will be clad in aluminium. We stripped that off & took it to our local scrap yard & received £35. Not bad considering we'd only paid £100 for the thing in the first place, including delivery, and our girls had had hours of fun in their 'play house'

MW
MuddyWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-11-2010 , 11:07 PM #5
intransit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrabble
Great job. Its nice to know that it was all recycled. I'm on the lookout for a small old caravan to use as a summer house.
Regards
Scrabble
This is the best time of year to find a caravan as demand for them is lower than it would be in the summer.
Old Posted: 17-11-2010 , 03:38 PM #6
Belarus

That is really fantastic. Well done to you. It is marvellous to see that everything has been reused and nothing gone to landfill. I too am looking for a small old caravan to use the interior for converting an old ambulance to a camper. I have replied to several threads but have never been lucky enough to get one but I am still looking. So if any of you great Jumbletowners out there know where I might get one please keep me in mind. Kind regards to all.
Belarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-11-2010 , 09:50 PM #7
intransit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belarus
That is really fantastic. Well done to you. It is marvellous to see that everything has been reused and nothing gone to landfill. I too am looking for a small old caravan to use the interior for converting an old ambulance to a camper. I have replied to several threads but have never been lucky enough to get one but I am still looking. So if any of you great Jumbletowners out there know where I might get one please keep me in mind. Kind regards to all.

you just have to look around your local area, ive spotted another caravan near me thats been sitting there years by the looks of it, gonna call in and ask about it as I still need parts to finish my van.
do what I call going on a mission, drive around looking for what you want and go ask the owner if its available!
Nothing ventured nothing gained!
Old Posted: 29-11-2010 , 11:35 AM #8
Gormal

WOW! That is so cool!!
Gormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 30-11-2010 , 07:00 PM #9
intransit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannloads
Hi Intransit very interested in what you've done so far; If you still have the photos in normal size (and more), would you mind sending them to me by email? Cheers D
Nearly finished it now, can email photos some time next week when its all done.
Old Posted: 07-12-2010 , 05:26 AM #10
lemon meringue pie

Default Wow

Wow!
Your lounge looks great, I have similar plans afoot once I find the right vehicle - what type of van have you , that allowed that lovely big U shaped lounge?
lemon meringue pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-12-2010 , 09:53 AM #11
intransit

Its a high roof long wheel base ford transit (1996) which I bought for 100e in Feburary. To date the conversion has cost me 300e even though I got most of the stuff for free, I spent nearly 100e on diesel colecting parts, I wanted seats with belts for the back, I bought 7 seats which came out of a minibus for 125e, ive bolted down a 3 seater in the back now and will be able to carry 5 passengers and the driver when the job is done.
To be honest I think I will be stripping it down and starting again in the new year as I didnt put enough thought into it and I should really of insultated the van first.
Here is a link which shows a bit more of the work ive done, My next job is to run heat from the front of the van to the rear.
My plan is to use a flexible hoover pipe connected to the heater in front of van, il run this to the back and under the bench seat so it warms up the rear, again this is only temporary until I get a proper heater for the back.

http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=74970
There is loads of ideas available by loking through the ford transit forum.
Old Posted: 07-12-2010 , 10:16 AM #12
Dannloads

Thanks for sharing the link Intransit
You're doing a great job ! Keep up the hard work !
Dannloads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 02-08-2018 , 07:23 PM #13
paddi22!!!!

We are based in Dunlavin Wicklow and have an old caravan if anyone wants it for free for a project.Not 100% sure if it will tow, the wheels are flat on it and its fairly old. If anyone is interested please pm,its free to whoever is happy to take it away.
paddi22!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote