Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 03-03-2011 , 09:51 PM #1
iloveparis59

Default Ants in my apartment! HELP!

Hi all jters,
We have ants in our ground floor apartment and are at our wits end as to how to get rid of them! Have tried the 'powder' but no result came of it! Apartment is near Kilkenny town and if anyone knows a group that specialize in ants, I am very appreciative of your advice.
Any advice appreciated
Thanks, iloveparis59!
iloveparis59 is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 04-03-2011 , 05:34 PM #2
TickTock

Sorry to hear of your problem - that's awful. We usually get them under the front doorstep and the powder seems to work for us. Hope someone else can help you.
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-03-2011 , 06:36 PM #3
iloveparis59

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTock
Sorry to hear of your problem - that's awful. We usually get them under the front doorstep and the powder seems to work for us. Hope someone else can help you.
Thanks Tick Tock, We have organised for someone to exterminate them so fingers crossed!!
Thanks, iloveparis59
Old Posted: 12-03-2011 , 05:31 PM #4
charish

hi,

we know of three methods to keep ants at bay:
1) if you like plants: Tagetes patula are not appreciated by ants
2) put nickle coins on places where they are walking (trail)
3) use chalk in the trail

Hope this will help
charish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-03-2011 , 07:52 PM #5
mw100860

Default re ants in kilkenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveparis59
Thanks Tick Tock, We have organised for someone to exterminate them so fingers crossed!!
Thanks, iloveparis59
HI ILP, don't know anything about getting rid of ants so can't help u there but don't let any Kilkenny native hear u call it a TOWN; it's a CITY. Natives are very particular about that. I know cos I'm a blowin myself!
mw100860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-03-2011 , 11:21 PM #6
MuddyWitch

Ants breath through their skins so grease of any kind will kill them. If you can find where they are coming in a dab of something like petroleum jelly will stop them. Good Luck.

MW
MuddyWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-03-2011 , 09:16 PM #7
bings

Default ants

HI I had them for years and got ant killer in woddies. There are 2 round things like air freshner and the ants crawl into them and take the gue inside back to the nest it takes only a few days to make them disappear. I use these a few years ago and haven't had ants since. I still buy them each year and put them in the back and out side the front door. Take my word they really work. We had ants crawling up the walls inside the house. None now
bings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-03-2011 , 08:18 AM #8
greenmag1

Default i found ants in my house.. help please?

HI all
ive found some ants in my house. i see them in the mornings buts its only two or three every time, on my work top in the kitchen, how am i going to find out where they are coming in?? its freaking me out, please please help? i also found two on my bedside locker this morning , so they must be everywhere. i have 4 children and im not a lover of harsh chemicals, so if anyone can suggest anything that will help i would really appreciate it....
greenmag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-04-2011 , 09:32 PM #9
iloveparis59

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmag1
HI all
ive found some ants in my house. i see them in the mornings buts its only two or three every time, on my work top in the kitchen, how am i going to find out where they are coming in?? its freaking me out, please please help? i also found two on my bedside locker this morning , so they must be everywhere. i have 4 children and im not a lover of harsh chemicals, so if anyone can suggest anything that will help i would really appreciate it....
Hi greenmag,
Apparently they always get into a house by entering under the floorboards. (Outside in)
Maybe you could put ant powder along the perimeter of your house???

Hope it works out, iloveparis59
Old Posted: 17-04-2011 , 11:58 PM #10
melissabell

we got invaded 2 years ago and they tried again this year, i tried everything, vinegar, cilit bang (turns out its useless for everything!!!) those circular poision things and only the powder worked, have you tried asking neighbours if they have ever had this problem? and if so what they used.

Hope it gets sorted, is a nightmare when it happens.
melissabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-04-2011 , 01:43 PM #11
iloveparis59

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissabell
we got invaded 2 years ago and they tried again this year, i tried everything, vinegar, cilit bang (turns out its useless for everything!!!) those circular poision things and only the powder worked, have you tried asking neighbours if they have ever had this problem? and if so what they used.

Hope it gets sorted, is a nightmare when it happens.

Hi all,
I got an exterminator from rentokil in and hes going to give it three treatments but think its working out so far! Tried all the powders and everything this was our last hope!
Hope it works out greenmag,
iloveparis59 (Well i do!)
Old Posted: 25-04-2011 , 12:00 AM #12
cailywho

try using baking soda along the areas were they march.dont bother using rentokill because there only going to appear again nxt yr.if u have to use the profesional stuff get it urself itl be a lot cheaper than using re ntokil. heres a link to some profesional ant killer
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/ants-c-1.html
u can buy the good stuff on ebay
cailywho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-05-2011 , 04:36 PM #13
molly99

Cornflour ,Turmeric, Splenda, all not ant healthfood
molly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-05-2011 , 12:42 AM #14
mandylyn

Default Ants

I spotted loads of em when I disturbed plants pots near my front door the other day , my 1st reaction was horror - cause I've never had em b4 & I'm a keen gardener. Worried cause their so close 2 the front door, should I be worried or move the plant pots or get 1 if the tips 2 kill them. My hubby reakons there a good insect in the garden , that would be ok with me if they didn't fancy residence in my house :-) what do yee think ???
mandylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-05-2011 , 07:14 PM #15
saoirsetom

Default ants

hi,
i had ants before i nearly got sick when i saw them, as my baby was crawling around beside them in the hall. I couldn't use the chemical killers because of the baby, i heard on the radio, gerry ryan's show (RIP), to write the ants a letter and ask them to go away and leave it on the ground where u saw them..... it worked.... but they only started coming in somewhere else, so i poured salt around where i saw them, and i poured salt around the back wall of the house, i haven't seen them since. hope i never see them again
saoirsetom is offline   Reply With Quote