JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 21-02-2009 , 06:08 PM #31
susannn10

Default Mould

My house is only two years old and the main bedroom has it over the window! It started off in a tiny area and has now spread. The vent is always open so i'm lost to knowing the cause of it!
susannn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-02-2009 , 09:46 AM #32
colmsmum

Quote:
Originally Posted by noni
Fizzywitch,
There is a product I have used to stop condensation turning to mould on bathroom /shower ceiling. I got it from a paint supplier in Baldoyle, Dublin.
You get it in white and paint ceiling once then next day apply second coat
it has worked for me.
You can also tint it if you want to paint walls etc. The name is something like Perma.. something , will check later for you.

Hi noni,

Any idea what the name of the paint is? I'm having awful problems with mold & peeling paint in my en-suite, nothing seems to work, would love to try this out.

Thanks & regards,
colmsmum.
colmsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-02-2009 , 10:08 AM #33
noni

Default ld

Hi Colmsmum,

I will have a look today to find the paint its somewhere in the garden shed
( I think) will let you know as soon as I find it.

Regards,
Noni
noni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-02-2009 , 03:53 PM #34
ipod

Hi , i had a minor problem with mould in my old house in the bedroom, then i discovered that the air vent had been blocked with fitted wardrobes, this wont take away the current mould, but check if your air vent is open, and it should help, i scrubbed the bit i had with bleach, but is was only around the window.
Good luck, hope u get it sorted, as its bad for ur health
ipod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-02-2009 , 08:35 PM #35
noni

Default mould

Hi Colmsmum,
At last found the can of paint its called Perma White for mould
http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductId=35
I found it very good, make sure you wash off mould before painting, let
me know how you get on.

Noni
noni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-02-2009 , 12:34 AM #36
colmsmum

Thanks so much noni, I'll have a look for it at the weekend. I'll give you the verdict in a few weeks.
colmsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-09-2009 , 05:06 PM #37
suezanna

Default I can help you

you must first cleen it with bleech or any mould cleener then paint on damp ceelent paint. you can get this from any hardwear store. then when dry paint with your normal paint.then i would advise you to get a dehumidifier. i had a realy bad case of damp in my bedroom.the whole ceeling went black and all the walls. i kept painting but it just came back. i was so relieved to finaly find out how to deel with it and am now damp free for a yre. i keep my dehumidifire on all day every day it dosnt cost much and my health has inprooved. good luck from sue in youghal cork
suezanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-04-2010 , 08:28 AM #38
welder9

Default cieling mold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatia
I have problem with mold on my bedroom wall/ceiling which I need to tackle asap as I can hardly breathe anymore! I have done some research- all of which highlight 2 things: how difficult it is to treat and how bloody easily it spreads- especially when you try to get rid of it! I really need to tackle this as my health is suffering and wondering if anybody out there has any tips at all? I really want to avoid using chemicals/bleach if at all possible. All suggestions welcome!!!!
sand the mold as much as you can an.d wash with sugar soap .apply 2 coats of either damp proof paint or ordinary undercoat.When dry go ahead with finish coats of emulsion.Most important though,find source of mould and get rid.Damp clothing?Bad ventilation?It will only return if you dont eliminate the source.
call me if your stuck ,michael 0863159374
(check the space above the cieling to try to identify the source!)
welder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-04-2010 , 09:34 AM #39
Angelsfishingrod

Default mould

Hi there, just wondering if you have a leak in the roof!!! which might also cause the damp!! maybe loose tile, or broken one.. maybe trip in the attic might find problem.. I am in a cottage! and roof leaking, so have mould all over growing!! lifted my brandnew mattress up 2wks ago, and mould all over the bottom!! had to throw it out. no wonder I dont feel well. and Landlord not bothering to fix the roof, so will have to move out again.!:(
Angelsfishingrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-04-2010 , 04:33 PM #40
Angelsfishingrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck
The AURO mould remover and treatment are better than the usual chemical stuff from the hardware store or supermarket, or even horrible bleach. Bleach does not work longterm in my experience.

In case of black mould (Aspergillus) the plaster and stonework need to be carefully removed and destroyed safely as that stuff is seriously dangerous. It lives way deep in the stone and cannot be washed away, at most superficially.

@free4all, sorry you will have to move again
Hi Teck, Thanks, for info! in spareroom, it is black in one corner! but wall is completely dry?? what does that mean! well will ring landlord and if he doesnt bother then will look for somewhere else.. could not believe the mattress,, covered in mould spots, and we have been sleeping on that since moving in Sept!!! not suprised I have been ill!! :(
Angelsfishingrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-04-2010 , 12:16 AM #41
irishchick56

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck
Same happened to my mattress in the last place I lived - what a shame! And it is so hard to notice.

I've lived mould free since August of last year, it makes such a difference. What bliss! A different kind of health, the immunesystem does not have to fight every minute.

I would never ever move into a place with mould again, you have to look very carefully, also in corners, in the bathroom etc. And beware if a place is freshly painted - often that just covers up bad bits ...

In the last place I had an environmental health inspector come out - they don't do much but at least write to the landlord and tell him to get things in order.

Do you know if landlords are obliged to sort out the problem of mould? If mould is on the wall when the tenant moves out can the landlord take money from the deposit to fix it?
Just wondering because I have had some pretty yucky mould in my kitchin which has left stains on the paint! And should be moving out in a couple of months... Thank you
irishchick56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-04-2010 , 08:00 AM #42
Olivier

Quote:
Originally Posted by macken1969
Hi Noni..
yes it's a fairly big job alright and expensive but I have to say it has solved all our problems. Condensation is attracted to the coldest part of a room ie the windows .. if a house is properly ventilated you should have no probs but most old houses are poorly ventilated. have a look at the website below this is where we bought ours it explains all about it. look for the whole house ventilation system. let me know if you need any more info.
www.kiltox.co.uk.

I had a similar problem when I moved in my new house. Black mold in corners, general dampness, mold growing on clothes in the wardrobe... It made it hard to heat the house.
I fixed it by putting a ventilation system. I got one from france with all ducts and fitting for about 110 euros including shipping. You can also make one using old computer fans very easily but buying the ducting separately will cost you about as much as the whole unit I got.
I next made a heat exchanger for it, re-using old election posters. There's a link here, it's in french but the pictures explain it well:
http://www.autoconstruction.info/La-...html?artpage=3
That's mine more or less finished : http://picasaweb.google.com/olonguet...27331291076066

The idea is the that the warm damp air going out "meets" cold air coming it an exchanges heat through the panels with it. I get about 60% of the heat back in.
It has fixed all problems of dampness and black mold in the house in the space of a week. After a full season it will have dried the house and make it much more easier and faster to heat up. The dampness has moved from 85%+ to 55/60max% which is ideal.
Also make sure that your house as enough attic insulation. 400mm is best for an old cottage.

To prevent window condensation in the morning, I made shutters from leftover (and new) flooring planks. I went through the whole cold winter without a drop of condensation, nice , warm and cozy :
http://picasaweb.google.com/olonguet...38793872768098
There's only a couple made when I take the photos but you get the idea.
Olivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-10-2010 , 10:24 PM #43
toddler

Default Mould

I had green mould growing on the back of lockers in the bedroom, I have given them a couple of sprays with a spray for athletes foot (from the chemists) and have had very little re-growth in the last year. Hope this helps
Tod
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-11-2010 , 02:36 PM #44
rumble2

Mould is such a pain! I hope these suggestions work for me...
rumble2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-12-2010 , 09:52 AM #45
Vagabond

Default mouldy walls

the sealer you need is called polybond if you paint it on the area (once cleaned and dried) it will stop any marks coming back. as someone already said this depends how bad your walls and ceiling are, you may indeed need to replaster but id try this first.. maybe you should put up some pics to give us a better idea... also the leak that is causing the problem would need fixing... this could be damaged guttering, leak in the roof, plaster render missing from outside walls or if stone then would need sealing on the outside or rendering...
Hope this helps you out.. regards Vagabond
Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote