JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 01:22 PM #1
jenniferalan

Default guy going to live without money for a yr - impossible?!

I was watching Seoige yesterday and there was a guy on it that has set up a goal for the new yr - to live without money for 12 months. He grows his own food, owns a bike for transport, runs his own electricity, uses free wi-fi for his laptop(clever!), collects wood for heat and he lives in a trailor. Not sure of his location but i know he's from Donegal originally.

Impossible?
jenniferalan is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 01:41 PM #2
deeogee

No TV (no license) for a year? Now thats impossible
deeogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 01:46 PM #3
ireneo

He obviously has no wife or girlfriend. Wouldnt he be a cheap date? You just give him a plate of his homegrown veg at the fire and thats it. Id then go home and watch Eastenders and come back later.
ireneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 01:52 PM #4
Linn

Whats he going to do if he gets sick. Cause you wont get a Doctor or medicine for free these days unless your lucky enough to have a medical card.
It would be great if he could do it but for some reason i cant see it happening. Theres always something you need money for these days.
Linn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 01:59 PM #5
elbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linn
Whats he going to do if he gets sick. Cause you wont get a Doctor or medicine for free these days unless your lucky enough to have a medical card.
It would be great if he could do it but for some reason i cant see it happening. Theres always something you need money for these days.

He probably has the medical card, so wouldn't need money for doctor/medication.
I think a year is quite ambitious for him.
Would pity a wife/girlfriend/child also - probably single living alone.
Didn't see programme so don't know.
His friends won't get birthday presents this year!!!!!
elbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 02:33 PM #6
jenniferalan

lol, think he lives alone as mobile home looked very small. i think he will be bartering instead of using money etc if he needed to go somewhere ask a neighbour for a lift and repay him with homegrown fruit or something!
Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 02:34 PM #7
jenniferalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireneo
He obviously has no wife or girlfriend. Wouldnt he be a cheap date? You just give him a plate of his homegrown veg at the fire and thats it. Id then go home and watch Eastenders and come back later.

hahahahahah :)
Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 04:06 PM #8
maggiemoo

how is he going to buy loo paper????????????????????
maggiemoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 04:35 PM #9
lanesborobabe

maybe he will use the public toilets or just nick the loo roll lol
lanesborobabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 05:00 PM #10
Bawnie

Or maybe he'll use a doc leaf for loo roll!! God fair play to him, wonder if he'll set up a blog for it. Also no dental care, haircuts(unless he does it himself). He's ambitious but would doubt he could do it but God loves a trier!
Bawnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 06:26 PM #11
MandyD

I seen a programme the other night about a guy who was aiming for two weeks of it...living for free. He was sleeping in a park for the first or second night :-(

Then someone he never met before offered to put him up in their house...he learned which wild foods he could eat, and trawled through skips and commercial bins for food. You'd be surprised at the stuff he found in a bin outside Marks and Spencers. Clothes, boots, a bike, a chocolate cake not even opened....wow.

Isn't it amazing what people throw out? You only have to come to this site to see what people would have to otherwise throw away... mind boggling.

A year? I'm a bit sceptical of that, to be honest... Obviously doesn't have any children...they are the most expensive things in the world!
MandyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 08:38 PM #12
kila2008

Saw a feature on Oprah one time about people in the US who go routing around in skips outside supermarkets and restaurants...they were from all walks of life and used to meet up and got in groups. It actually looked like great fun and most of the food that they found was in really good condition. There was a lot of fresh fruit and veg...apparently it was thrown out by the supermarket because it had marks or dents on it and customers want perfect looking fruit. They had a name for the outings but can't remember what it was.
kila2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 08:54 PM #13
summersun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kila2008
Saw a feature on Oprah one time about people in the US who go routing around in skips outside supermarkets and restaurants...they were from all walks of life and used to meet up and got in groups. It actually looked like great fun and most of the food that they found was in really good condition. There was a lot of fresh fruit and veg...apparently it was thrown out by the supermarket because it had marks or dents on it and customers want perfect looking fruit. They had a name for the outings but can't remember what it was.

IT WAS CALLED "FREE CYCLING" WHERE THEY WENT SCAVENGING FOR FOOD ETC... MY GOD JUST THE THOUGHT OF SPENDING NO MONEY FOR A YEAR... NO TV FOR A DAY IS BAD ENOUGH , BUT THE THOUGHT OF NO NEIGHBOURS, EAST ENDERS, CORONATION ST OR CASUALTY I COULDNT DO IT... LET ALONE NO SWEETS, SHAMPOO.... I 'D LOVE TO BE A FLY ON HIS WALL THOUGH...

SUMMERSUN
summersun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 09:01 PM #14
kilk

if he had a wall !!
kilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 09:21 PM #15
cascais

Default fair play if he can manage it

now i don t really belive this poor man will manage the whole year, i ll give him a month !

saw this programme on the telly about this english guy that went around a few countries on 5 (whatever currency) a day and that seemed hard enough. i can t imagine having no money at all. ( lucky english guy compared to the donegal lad)
in england , scottland and wales he did not do too bad, people gave him lifts, places to stay ( for free) and even food.
but i guess you get a whole lot more with 5 pounds sterling a day than 5 dollars...
in america ( when i saw most of the episodes) he slept rough for a few nights but manage to convince someone( after speaking to them for 10 minutes) to give him the keys to her apartment ( in chicago or something). this would never happen here, no one would trust you enough...

cascais
cascais is offline   Reply With Quote