Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 11:50 PM #16
jenniferalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyD
I seen a programme the other night about a guy who was aiming for two weeks of it...living for free. He was sleeping in a park for the first or second night :-(

Then someone he never met before offered to put him up in their house...he learned which wild foods he could eat, and trawled through skips and commercial bins for food. You'd be surprised at the stuff he found in a bin outside Marks and Spencers. Clothes, boots, a bike, a chocolate cake not even opened....wow.

Isn't it amazing what people throw out? You only have to come to this site to see what people would have to otherwise throw away... mind boggling.

A year? I'm a bit sceptical of that, to be honest... Obviously doesn't have any children...they are the most expensive things in the world!

Hi Mandy, it is amazing what ppl throw away. My friend worked in a restaurant for many yrs and she used to tell me what they did with the food, half hr before closing time they bined all food there, staff was not allowed take any food home altho it was going in the bin.

I know loads of ppl who work in shops and a lot of things go in the bin. Odd stock and partly broken items are usually thrown away. I often buy things for cheap if it is partly broken eg recently i bought the wrought iron bottom part of a lantern that holds a candle for 10c just because the glass was broken they were going to throw it away. i dont even need the glass and my candles fit perfectly in it! Odds are thrown in the bin too eg stuff like pyjamas, tights, socks, underwear are often sold as multi packs and when someone wants to look at an item in the shop they pull out the whole packet and items get mixed up etc and shop assistant might not be able to repackage them. Lots of these sort of things get thrown in the bin, but if ur in the shop regularly u will be able to buy such items for 1.00 or 50c etc if u spot them on shelf before they go in the bin
jenniferalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-01-2009 , 12:01 AM #17
irishrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by kila2008
Saw a feature on Oprah one time about people in the US who go routing around in skips outside supermarkets and restaurants...they were from all walks of life and used to meet up and got in groups. It actually looked like great fun and most of the food that they found was in really good condition. There was a lot of fresh fruit and veg...apparently it was thrown out by the supermarket because it had marks or dents on it and customers want perfect looking fruit. They had a name for the outings but can't remember what it was.

Dumpster diving?
irishrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-01-2009 , 07:08 PM #18
Ocker

He'll probably do it.......nothing is really impossible unless you want to cancel your Readers Digest subscription. But then the glossy circulars could be handy if he runs out of loo paper.
Ocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-01-2009 , 07:39 PM #19
ireneo

Of course he will manage, didnt Berty Ahern manage to live without his money for years, He used all of ours instead and didnt need toilet paper either, probably used fivers for that too

But in saying that, I like Berty!!!
ireneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-01-2009 , 10:56 PM #20
Moeby

Default A year with no money!!!!

I think he watched too many re-runs of the Good Life, remember the couple that lived in Surrey that tried to be self sufficient. I wish him luck but I find every time you go out your front door you seem to be spending money. Even a free trip to the local park with the kids means chrisps, drinks and a few sweets.
Moeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-01-2009 , 11:04 PM #21
ireneo

Yes and you literally cant wee without money now either. Everywhere you go has a slot to pay for toilets or a key on something as big as a brick in some places.

The worlds gone Mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ireneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-01-2009 , 09:07 AM #22
Linn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireneo
Of course he will manage, didnt Berty Ahern manage to live without his money for years, He used all of ours instead and didnt need toilet paper either, probably used fivers for that too

But in saying that, I like Berty!!!
HAHAHA that made me laugh but its totally true lol.
Linn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-01-2009 , 01:33 PM #23
cheddarlane

Default No Kitten Soft??

Ooo.. back to nature there then... he must use a docking leaf, or old news paper.. I would miss the andrex puppies and kitten soft!!
cheddarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-01-2009 , 04:11 PM #24
TheBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrose
Dumpster diving?
I believe they're called Freegans.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeganism
TheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-01-2009 , 04:46 PM #25
Tribesman06

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersun
THE THOUGHT OF NO NEIGHBOURS, EAST ENDERS, CORONATION ST OR CASUALTY I COULDNT DO IT...

SUMMERSUN

Throw in no Fair City and I'll give it a go myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tribesman06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-01-2009 , 05:05 PM #26
Hotlipsxx01

Default tip

he needs to learn to make home made wine with the fruit he is growing, could keep him warm at night along with any potential dates

though no running water could be an issue the next morning unless he's storing up plenty of large leaves

there's always nettle tea, for detoxing the morning after

someone should donate him a lamb , yummy !
Hotlipsxx01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-01-2009 , 09:18 PM #27
Gabsdot

There was a woman, in New York I think who lived for a year without buying anything except necessities.
Necessities were mortgage, heating bills, electricity etc, Food was basic, no treats, alcohol etc. She didn't buy any new clothes. All entertainment was free stuff, museums, library etc. No eating out etc.
It was very interesting to listen to her. She wrote a book about it.
Gabsdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-01-2009 , 10:15 PM #28
julfren

Default Guy going to live without money for a year.....

Sounds like it would be a fascinating book to read, Gabsdot. Do you remember the name of it by any chance?

Jul
julfren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-01-2009 , 12:49 PM #29
Headwave

Default organic loo roll

No need for loo roll! Before we shredded trees for toilet paper we used damp moss. I've been caught short in the woods and it really is a lot better than paper I'll tell you. Natures own baby wipe as you get a wash into the bargain.

They used damp moss in all them posh 16th Century tower houses, knowing that is what put it in my head while stuck in the woods.

Just check it for insects first!

;)
Headwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-01-2009 , 02:05 PM #30
Bubbles2

And as he will have no electricity he will have no computer to check out what he could find to recycle free on JT!!!!!
Bubbles2 is offline   Reply With Quote