Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 04-02-2009 , 12:29 AM #1
jenniferalan

Default saucepans

Hi guys,

Cant sleep and find myself trawling through different websites...

Need some advice for buying saucepans

Is it better to buy a cheap set for the moment or buy an expensive set and have them longer? does expence show how long they will last?! Want to be green with my purchases and consider them well!

anyone know any good brands or makes that are middle of the road and eco friendly?

in a homewares shop today i saw they were selling Chopping Boards made from recycled cardboard, lovely but pricey, well out of my budget

Thank you for reading

Jennifer
jenniferalan is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 04-02-2009 , 05:41 AM #2
nanonano

i don't know about expensive sets but I have the one that was a few weeks ago on sale in Lidl. I have it for 6 years now, it's used every day for a family of 5 and goes in the dishwasher every night. Perfect.
nanonano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-02-2009 , 12:11 PM #3
cavalin

l got mine when supervalu were selling them, they must be well over 10 years old and still as good as ever
cavalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-02-2009 , 12:27 PM #4
Chuck

Default saucepans

not sure if this helps but I was always told buy saucepans that have a heavy base. If they feel to light when you lift them they will burn food more easily and also go out of shape quicker. I also bought a frying pan in lidl about 4 or 5 years ago and its great.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-02-2009 , 12:46 PM #5
Tootsie

Default saucepan

I bought a Le Creuset casserole dish last year. It cost €80 but worth every penny. I use it most days. Cheap pans don't last and the handles become loose..dangerous.
Tootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-02-2009 , 01:22 PM #6
Bibi

Default Saucepans

Hi Jennifer,

I would say buy the very best you can afford - they will repay you!! As stated in a previous post, get heavy based saucepans - food will stick easily otherwise. Also, when investing, try to get casserole type with handles / grips on each side. They can be used in oven & are safer and more space saving for you hob. Try to get at least one which will take steamers - save yourself a fortune by using two/three tiers @ a time. As regards the maker; Stellar is good, as is Meyer ( Belle Cuisine range) and of course, Le Creuset. You can get excellent cookware @ TK M**Xfrom time to time. Know somebody who recently got a set of 5 there @ approx E180 - R.R.P over E500 ( Googled it to prove it!!).

Oh...by the way I do not work for any of those companies- just years of experience ( & several cheap saucepans later!!!).......

Regards.
Bibi
Bibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-02-2009 , 01:30 PM #7
Tootsie

Default saucepans

Bibi

Great idea re. steamer. Must invest in a couple of tiers. Cooking for six here!
And trying to save money on gas/electricity. Not easy...
Tootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-02-2009 , 10:06 PM #8
jenniferalan

Thanks to all replies! Loads of replies for only one day.

It's great to hear that the cookware out of Lidl is good.

Bibi just wondering is there one of those shops in Sligo? There's one in Galway but think it's just clothes was never in there!

Great idea about the steamers! Cheers x
Old Posted: 04-02-2009 , 10:18 PM #9
Bawnie

Hi there
We use a small steamer daily, it does chicken, potatoes, carrotts, we've often six layers, and all down to timing, and making sure there's enough water in the bottom.

A brand i'd recommend is MEYER< built to last.. Best of luck! ;) Siobhan.
Bawnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-02-2009 , 10:31 PM #10
Bibi

Default Saucepans

Hi Jennifer....

Yes there's a TK M**X in Sligo - in the Quayside Shopping Centre. Has a small car park or alternatively park in Wine St / Tesco car park & just pop across the street....very handy.

Usually have a good stock of cookware etc & very good quality/prices too.

Like Bawnie, I would use my steamer daily - in fact I could not do without it & regularly have 4/5 steamers on the pot of water. Saves fuel, water,time.........Next time I'm in Sligo, I will have a look at selection & let you know - only problem is that good quality tends to sell very quickly & you have to be there on the spot to grab the bargains.

Good luck in your search for " the perfect saucepan"!!

Regards
Bibi.
Bibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-02-2009 , 10:34 PM #11
jenniferalan

haha my search for the "perfect saucepan" lol

Thanks for the offer of checking that would be great. Would really appreciate that. Going to start saving now for the set!

Thanks for all the advice :)
Old Posted: 23-03-2009 , 05:10 PM #12
Betty_Bubbles

I agree wholeheartedly with the lady who mentioned the meyer brand....i'd love to have nothing but meyer cookware in my kitchen to be honest and that's coming from someone in the business....

I'm not a big fan of these non stick jobbies though for frying....you're better off getting a normal one and "proving" it....get it on the heat and chuck a thick layer of table salt on it...let it smoke and shake it a few times to get all the gunk up....repeat the process a few times then take a piece of kitchen towel dab it with some bog standard kitchen oil and give it a nice coat...put it away as is....repeat this process every time you've used it and nothing will ever stick.

big rule...never, never wash it...if you need to, wipe it out with some kitchen towel and then prove the pan...

been a chef near ten years and i've never washed my pan, always did this and nothing's ever stuck to it....it's a trick of the trade

and eco friendly chopping boards....not to mention prob the most hygienic....BAMBOO....wouldn't be without mine now...hunt around and you'll find a good one...got mine in aldi for around 15 euro at christmas.
Betty_Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-03-2009 , 10:09 PM #13
Trevalhean

Default Saucepans

I bought a set of Rosenbaum from a travelling salesman at the door heading back to Holland on the boat!"!! The saucepans are great very heavy bottoms but the glass lids had thermostats - the only problem the screw into the back of the lid has come loose on a number of them and have had to use a wine cork now instead with a screw as my handle on one of them. If you are buying saucepans get the lids where the handles are soldered to the glass lid instead of ones with screws attached. Best of luck
Trevalhean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 02-04-2009 , 07:56 PM #14
nenomarie

Default frying pan

hi, just a note on Le Creuset: I took a le creuset frying pan from a dublinwaster recently, it was one of their non stick range and the coating had started to come off, this is usually due to high surface heat and metal utensils, but it will always come off eventually anyway, plus the sheer weight of it made it unusable for his wife
I emailed customer service at le creuset and asked what could be done with it
They emailed back promptly and although it would have been replaced within 10 years with its receipt, it cannot be repaired or resurfaced
however, they said it is perfectly useable under the non stick surface, just scrape away the non stick as it comes off, coat the pan with any cooking oil to prevent rust(you must do this after each use) there are no coatings or chemicals under the non stick and it is perfectly safe to use
it will take a while for a 'patina' to build up but this is what you are aiming for so no aggressive cleaning
also, never put any le creuset on heat higher than low or medium at the most, dont be tempted to use a high setting first and then lower as this discolours the surface and can damage
lifetime guarantee for the cast iron(not non stick) with your receipt whew!
nenomarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-04-2009 , 10:53 PM #15
jenniferalan

Hi guys,

Many thanks for all the advice. I have been shopping around but Le Creuset is just so expensive. Think I will buy one at a time!

re proving the frying pan, just wondering do u salt the pan, turn on the heat let it smoke and then shake the salt out of the pan before adding oil? Or leave the salt in the pan? Never heard of this idea before :)