JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 27-06-2008 , 09:12 AM #31
Ciss

Great info!

For cleaning microwaves, I leave in a bowl of water with a drop of lemon juice the microwave, heat it up (have it boiling) and leave it in for 30 mins or so.

Result: easy to clean down with a damp cloth and you also have a nice smelling microwave :-).

For cleaning windows (house, car etc), wash windows with a bit of washing up liquid and water and then dry windows with newspapers. No streaks at all!

Does anyone have any tips for cleaning the insides of an oven? I've tried leaving hot water in and then scrubbing down with brillo pads but somehow the smell of brillo pads always linger for a while...
Ciss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-06-2008 , 12:14 PM #32
Fizzywitch

Default My super spray mix recipe

I have a spray bottle with a water vinegar mix, 2 tbs olive oil and 10 drops of lavender/tea tree oil. (shake well before each use)
This cleans absolutely everything!
My hubby uses it to clean computers.

I use it on mirrors, floors, furniture and just about anything else.

I always make it up in old 'Ecover' spray bottles as they last forever!

I use bread soda on stubborn stains.

My only sin in using non eco cleaning methods is using occasionly biological soap powder and hot water to soak really burnt on grime. the only thing is it is that strong it once toook the non stick surface of a baking tray I soaked!
Fizzywitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-06-2008 , 12:16 PM #33
Fizzywitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciss
Great info!

For cleaning microwaves, I leave in a bowl of water with a drop of lemon juice the microwave, heat it up (have it boiling) and leave it in for 30 mins or so.

Result: easy to clean down with a damp cloth and you also have a nice smelling microwave :-).

For cleaning windows (house, car etc), wash windows with a bit of washing up liquid and water and then dry windows with newspapers. No streaks at all!

Does anyone have any tips for cleaning the insides of an oven? I've tried leaving hot water in and then scrubbing down with brillo pads but somehow the smell of brillo pads always linger for a while...

Try making a mix of bread soda (bicarbonate of soda) and washing up liquid.
Make it into a thick paste and smear on the oven.
Leave for 10 mins or so then scrub with a pan scrub and rinse off with lots and lots of warm water.
Hope this helps.
Old Posted: 27-06-2008 , 12:26 PM #34
Ciss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzywitch
Try making a mix of bread soda (bicarbonate of soda) and washing up liquid.
Make it into a thick paste and smear on the oven.
Leave for 10 mins or so then scrub with a pan scrub and rinse off with lots and lots of warm water.
Hope this helps.

Cheers Fizzywitch for the tip! Will try that out.
Ciss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-06-2008 , 01:31 PM #35
kilk

anybody have any idea how to keep stove door glass clean? i can use mr muscle oven cleaner but its messy and reacts to the cast iron surround.
kilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-06-2008 , 03:23 PM #36
Fizzywitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilk
anybody have any idea how to keep stove door glass clean? i can use mr muscle oven cleaner but its messy and reacts to the cast iron surround.

If you mean the log burner stoves with glass doors?

If you do, I put bread soda on a damp pan scrub, give it a scrub and buff up with screwed up newspaper or kitchen roll

If it is really bad then add a bit of white vinegar to the scrub or use the baking soda and washing up liquid recipe.
Old Posted: 29-06-2008 , 09:54 AM #37
kilk

thanks fizzywitch, ill try that formula.
Old Posted: 29-06-2008 , 09:56 AM #38
kilk

on the topic of cleaning, does anybody know how to remove a petrol smell from a tank that i wish to use for water instead?
Old Posted: 03-07-2008 , 11:08 PM #39
colmsmum

Please Help!

Is there an Eco friendly way of keeping birds away from strawberries?

I planted some a few weeks ago for my son, he loves them so i decided it would be a good learning experience to grow his own. He's been watering & feeding them everyday, watching & waiting patiently for them to 'go red', lol! The other day he was horrified to find a bird pecking at his only red one, he was so upset bless him (he's only 5 next month). I haven't a clue how to keep them away so colm can eat at least 1 of his home grown strawberries. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & regards,
colmsmum.
colmsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-07-2008 , 11:11 PM #40
erica

There's netting you can get specifically for the purpose, probably available in garden centres but maybe someone on here has a bit they could give you. Poor Colm deserves to see the fruits of his labour (pardon the pun).
erica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-07-2008 , 11:15 PM #41
angie1

Default help needed

hi just wondering does anyone know how i would get green water marks off gold taps. ive tryed the usuals baking soda,vinegar,ketchup im all out of ideas anyone out there knows the answer let me know kind regards angie1
angie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-07-2008 , 11:36 PM #42
The Mammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmsmum
Please Help!

Is there an Eco friendly way of keeping birds away from strawberries?

I planted some a few weeks ago for my son, he loves them so i decided it would be a good learning experience to grow his own. He's been watering & feeding them everyday, watching & waiting patiently for them to 'go red', lol! The other day he was horrified to find a bird pecking at his only red one, he was so upset bless him (he's only 5 next month). I haven't a clue how to keep them away so colm can eat at least 1 of his home grown strawberries. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & regards,
colmsmum.

Hi Colmsmum,
My dad had the same problem and was as upset a little Colm..(He's a Kid at heart) so he made a dome from chicken wire and netting..it is easy now to watch the progress of the berries and keep the Birds away..
Good Luck
M
The Mammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-07-2008 , 11:37 PM #43
carissa

Default netting

hi colmsmum,
i think i have a little bit of that netting erica mentioned, i'll have a look tomorrow, if its only a few plants you could criss cross some wool or twine over them, if the gap is smaller than the wingspan they wont fly in, watch out for slugs too, crushed egg shells around the plants will keep them off,
hope thats of some help, good luck with it :)
carissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-07-2008 , 11:38 PM #44
erica

If you put some straw under the plants, to keep them up off the clay, the slugs will be less likely to get at them.
erica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-07-2008 , 11:39 PM #45
colmsmum

Thanks erica, your a great help. I'll buy a bit at the weekend, if i post a wanted ad i may not get it in time (if at all) & the birds will have a field day. I wouldn't mind but i have feeders for them but they're obviously impressed with colms work!
colmsmum is offline   Reply With Quote