JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 03-11-2006 , 02:50 PM #1
Patience

Default Paper/Plastic Recycling

Does anyone else wash their plastic containers/bottles before putting them into the receycling bags? I've always washed everything. I'm under the impression that people stand at conveyor belts sifting through all this recyclable stuff. But I had a service engineer call to the house one day and I was washing a yoghurt carton and he seemed very surprised that I should wash it at all. So I was wondering am I the only one that does it? Am I mad?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 03-11-2006 , 03:25 PM #2
buffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience
Does anyone else wash their plastic containers/bottles before putting them into the receycling bags? I've always washed everything. I'm under the impression that people stand at conveyor belts sifting through all this recyclable stuff. But I had a service engineer call to the house one day and I was washing a yoghurt carton and he seemed very surprised that I should wash it at all. So I was wondering am I the only one that does it? Am I mad?
No you are not mad! I wash everything too, dog food cans especially as I am sure the pong off them wouldnt be to pleasent, jars plastic lids every container
thats recyclable.Oh and tetra milk cartons as they are another item that would smell to high heaven.I think we are supposed to wash them anyway as far as I know.
Well its more hygenic.
Attached Images

buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-11-2006 , 03:50 PM #3
Fries-With-That

Default Washing your rubbish.

Hello Patience,

The companies that collect and recycle our various kinds of rubbish always ask that people wash out containers and bottles before putting them in the various banks.
They also ask that people remove caps from bottles (plastic or glass) because when these items are crushed the cap becomes a potential missile.
It also eases the work load of the people at the bring centres if you flatten cardboard boxes and remove the staples from magazines.

Keep washing and crushing,

Fries.
Fries-With-That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-11-2006 , 05:10 PM #4
Patience

Cheers! I knew the conveyor belt people had to be real.
Old Posted: 03-11-2006 , 05:44 PM #5
Aceshigh

Default Plastic Bottles

Hi Yes I Think There Is A Little Madness In All Of Us Somewhere And As Regards The Plastic Bottles I Leave The Caps On But Only After I Have Crushed The Bottle As Small As Possible This Way You Are Not Filling The Recycling Bin With Bottled Air And You Can Get A Lot More In And If The Bottle Is Then Crushed Further The Lid Wont Become A Projectile Missile
..thanx
....a Slightly Mad At Times Wayne
Aceshigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-11-2006 , 08:03 PM #6
carmen

yeah i always wash them ,tins def need to be washed ,it must be a hard job to sort it all out
carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-11-2006 , 10:51 PM #7
BillieT

OH - MY - GOD I never thought of washing them - i'll be doing that in future. I split everything but it never entered my head to have them clean. Oh my bad.
BillieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-11-2006 , 11:23 PM #8
buffy

Preparing Materials for Recycling
Item Preparation before Recycling
Paper / Newspaper / Magazines / Junk Mail It is helpful to take out staples
Light Cardboard Flatten
Heavy duty cardboard Flatten, remove any polystyrene
Aluminium Cans Rinse out and crush
Steel Cans Wash out, ensure there is no food left ? there is no need to remove paper
Plastic Bottles Remove caps/corks. Rinse out and crush ? there is no need to remove paper
Beverage Cartons e.g. Tetrapak Take off plastic lid, rinse out and flatten
Glass Bottles & Jars Remove caps. Rinse out ? there is no need to remove paper.

Glass banks do not accept drinking glasses, pyrex or sheet glass
Soft Plastic Packaging Ensure it is not contaminated with food
Textiles No preparation needed
Household Hazardous Waste Ensure it is still labelled
Green Waste Remove any soil, litter or branches from palm trees which get jammed in shredder
Timber Remove nails or other such items.
Electrical Equipment No preparation needed
Batteries (domestic & car) No preparation needed
IT Computer Equipment No preparation needed
Brown Goods ? Televisions, Radios, Video players No preparation needed
White Goods ? Fridges, Freezers, Washing Machines, Cookers, Tumble Dryers No preparation needed
If in doubt leave it out!

Waste that isn't properly segregated can be very difficult to recycle so don't contaminate a waste stream with the wrong type of waste!
Recycling Facilities
Household recycling collection

Over one third of homes in Ireland now have a recycling bin/bag on their doorstep. If you have a recycling bin/bag, please ensure that you put the correct materials into it — check the label on your recycling bin/bag, or contact your service provider / local authority.
Bring Centres

Bring Centres are small unmanned collection points for recyclable materials, often located in the car parks of shops or schools. All local authorities have a large number of Bring Centres located in different towns or neighbourhoods within their administrative area. Unmanned Bring Centres are somewhat limited in the types of materials that they accept, mostly collecting glass, cans and textiles.

The number of Bring Centres and the materials they except varies from county to county. However more Bring Centres are coming on line all the time. It is best to access your local authority website (via our useful contacts page) or to contact your local authority's Environment Department directly for an up to date list. Every local authority has an Environmental Awareness Officer who will be able to tell you about future plans for recycling facilities or collections in your area.
Recycling Centres

Recycling Centres (also known as Civic Amenity Sites) are larger than Bring Centres and are manned. Most local authorities have at least one recycling centre in their administrative area. A wide range of goods are accepted but this varies from local authority to local authority and some counties have small charges. Items accepted can include fridges, freezers and other white electric items, smaller electronic items, computers, furniture, fluorescent bulbs etc.

It is important to make enquiries with your local authority or contact the site directly before setting out.

Some recycling centres also accept household hazardous (priority) waste such as waste oil, batteries, paints, bleach etc. It is extremely important that you do not dispose of such hazardous waste in your normal household rubbish.

Many local authorities also offer a hazardous waste or chemcar collection. This takes the form of a mobile collection unit which moves around the area and takes away hazardous household waste.

The frequency of the chemcar collections varies so contact your local authority for details or check out their website via the useful contacts link.

NOTE: Asbestos is extremely hazardous both to people's health and the environment and under no circumstances should it be disposed of with your ordinary waste.

Unfortunately local authorities no longer provide a collection service for asbestos. Instead it must be removed by a private contractor at a cost. Contact us or your local authority for details of contractors in your area.
Find a recycling centre in your area
Leinster

Carlow

Dublin City Council

Dublin (South)

Dublin (Dún Laoghaire/Rathdown)

Dublin (Fingal County Council)

Kildare

Kilkenny

Laois

Longford

Louth

Meath

Offaly

Westmeath

Wexford

Wicklow
Munster

Clare

Cork County Council

Cork City Council

Kerry

Limerick County Council

Limerick City Council

Tipperary North Riding

Tipperary South Riding

Waterford City Council

Waterford County Council
Connaught

Galway County Council

Galway City Council

Leitrim

Mayo

Roscommon

Sligo
Ulster

Cavan

Donegal

Monaghan

and Local Government
Old Posted: 04-11-2006 , 08:51 AM #9
blackbeauty

Wow!
Buffy, this quite nice, interesting and educative. I was wondering if you know any place where i can take used clothes to for recycling. I have quite a few that my kids used and to be honest it's not something that i would want to pass down as i feel that they are really worn out!
Thanks
blackbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-11-2006 , 09:18 AM #10
Patience

Blackbeauty, there might be a clothes recycling bin at your local recycling centre. Cerebral Palsy sometimes have yellow bins at the centres.
Old Posted: 04-11-2006 , 05:11 PM #11
buffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeauty
Wow!
Buffy, this quite nice, interesting and educative. I was wondering if you know any place where i can take used clothes to for recycling. I have quite a few that my kids used and to be honest it's not something that i would want to pass down as i feel that they are really worn out!
Thanks
Freephone 1800 204 304

Recycle LogoFor the address of your nearest clothing bank phone the Freephone number above or check out our Local Services Map. Enable Ireland clothing banks are located throughout Ireland. Donations can also be made directly in all Enable Ireland shops.
Leinster

25 Capel St, Dublin 1
Tel: (01) 8733867

Unit 8, Sth Gt Georges St, Dublin 2
Tel: (01) 4782763

28 Lr Camden St, Dublin 2
Tel: (01) 4780647

Unit 10 Phibsboro Shopping Centre, Phibsboro, Dublin 7
Tel: (01) 8308750

43 Main St, Finglas, Dublin 11
Tel: (01) 8347304

1 - 2 Midland Court, Longford
Tel: (043) 41205

32 Shop St., Drogheda, Louth
Tel: (041) 9839650

Unit 2 Kennedy Rd, Navan, Co Meath
Tel: (046) 9073466

29 Main St, Bray, Co. Wicklow
Tel: (01) 2723743

Warehouse
31A Rosemount Pk Dr, Ballycoolin Rd, D 11.
Tel: (01) 8857155

Munster

1 High Street, Ennis, Co. Clare
Tel: (065) 6823799

32 North Main Street, Cork
Tel: (021) 4272828

39 Princes St, Cork
Tel: (021) 4278280

9 Mary St, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary
Tel: (052) 26202

36 Michael St, Waterford
Tel: (051) 841696

4 Upr. William St, Limerick
Tel: (061) 314334
Connaught

23/24 High Street, Galway
Tel: (091) 564857

2 Market Square, Castlebar, Co Mayo
Tel: (094) 9024512

Unit 2, Wine St Car Park, Sligo
Tel: (071) 9150259
Old Posted: 04-11-2006 , 06:59 PM #12
Aceshigh

Default Buffy

Hi I Can See You Are Very Good With All This Info You Are A Very Good Person To Have On A Site Like This As Your Knowledge Is Very Vast And I Can See How You Got Senior Status It Is Nice To See That Some People Are Very Keen To Help With Recycling And Also Willing To Give The Information To Others Such As Enable Ireland My Hat Definatly Goes Off To You Buffy And Everyone Else Who Follows In Your Footsteps Again Very Good Site If There Was A Rating To Be Put On People You Would Definatly Get My Full Vote
..thanx
....wayne P.S. JUST ONE WAY TO RECYCLE YOUR OLD MOBILE FONE
Attached Images

Old Posted: 04-11-2006 , 07:13 PM #13
buffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACESHIGH
Hi I Can See You Are Very Good With All This Info You Are A Very Good Person To Have On A Site Like This As Your Knowledge Is Very Vast And I Can See How You Got Senior Status It Is Nice To See That Some People Are Very Keen To Help With Recycling And Also Willing To Give The Information To Others Such As Enable Ireland My Hat Definatly Goes Off To You Buffy And Everyone Else Who Follows In Your Footsteps Again Very Good Site If There Was A Rating To Be Put On People You Would Definatly Get My Full Vote
..thanx
....wayne
And thank you for your lovely comments.
Attached Images

Old Posted: 04-11-2006 , 08:23 PM #14
Aceshigh

Default buffy

not only information but a picture for every occasion too
..a big thanx
....wayne