JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 31-08-2009 , 07:49 PM #1
minnie pal

Default Garden design for my yard in 'The Irish Garden' September, HELP!

THIS does look an interesting design ok but i think lacks umph, i wonder what others think.
I dont think i could cope with a large green wall ahead of me, unless its vegitation.
nor licks of paint on side walls, would prefer cane or summot.
I want 'Bud' in a arch with a mirror behind so that it reflects what is in the far corner.
my patch is tiny and i dont know whether it can accommodate this design although i gave dimentions.
all ideas gratefully received.
xminnie pal
minnie pal is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 03-09-2009 , 10:58 PM #2
moloney2

Default Irish Garden design for your yard

Just a suggestion but if you would like an evergreen climber why not try some ivy or perhaps a cotoneaster which would provide you with flowers, berries and evergreen foliage. You can get them with different colour berries like orange or red. Bud would look great in front of a mirror with a red frame! You could also consider using bamboo plants as screening on the side walls with some under planting of flowers(could also be done in containers) How is the sunlight there? If it is a little dark it might be worth painting the walls white to reflect light and training the climbers over this.If you are able to travel it would be worth your while to go to the National Garden Exhibition Centre in Kilquade as they have over 20 show gardens with one of them in an oriental theme using mirrors and bamboo- very bud! lol
best wishes
moloney2
moloney2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-09-2009 , 11:29 PM #3
minnie pal

Default hello there Moloney!

Yes, i like your idea of Bud being 'framed in red and the climbers you suggest.
today i was looking at that very tall wall, there is a square type rotting trellis on it. birds were literally standing at various points on the trellis to get at the feeders, sometimes it looked as if they were 'waiting their turn'
I thought of painting the back wall the same light sage of the hoose wall and put up new trellis in an abstract design, you know blocks of it one way and another the other and paint it the same colour as the hall door.
then with variagated ivy, the honeysuckle and jasmine that Mandolin gave me, I am expecting virginia creeper from another friend so that can going maybe on the hoose wall behind the swing seat and that would reflect in the mirror behind buddha.
I would like an arch of wood for bud to give a formal district setting first and soften in up with your frame of red berries etc.
how does that grab ye.
the idea of living bamboo would be wonderful too as a screen.
Birds and bees MUST be attracted, i would like to plant anything that would attact these, like buddlea, wild flowers and such in one corner.
I also want to grow some veggies as i have mentioned and actually mayy mix it up in the raised bed.
sun not great, but that high wall gets a great flush of light late evening when all the wall is in full sun, with the sun shining from the side of the garden rather than the from top of hoose, if you get meaning.
do you think the ideas formulating are any good molongo!!
Old Posted: 04-09-2009 , 12:23 AM #4
moloney2

Default Garden design

Yeah those sound like great ideas, if you want to include veg. why not use runner beans,climbing french beans and peas through your climbers- you can get the runner beans to climb up to 14 ft and they are more or less trouble free. There are also different types of lettuce that are red or frilly etc, you can also include veg like swiss chard which can be grown with coloured stems.All of the veg produce flowers and are very attractive to bees and butterflies. If you want to try something now you can grow broadbeans from seed at this time or plant early pea seeds, there is also plenty of time to plant a few cabbage plants in among the flowers(the cabbage leaves give great contrast to autumn bedding plants) As far as herbs go- try to get some thyme and oregano plants as they are evergreen and the flowers are irresistable to bees and other insects as well as smelling wonderful and great for cooking! As for the birds they adore most berries except those that are coloured white, usually the cotoneaster will produce enough berries for both of you to enjoy.
best wishes
moloney2
Old Posted: 04-09-2009 , 12:40 AM #5
minnie pal

Default Nope!!!!

Cant eat any of these veggies!
I am allowed eat stuff like carrots, potatoes, cucumber, i do eat peas so could give em a try.
Have to eat a very low fibre diet.
gonna try tomatoes too later but will have to skin and pip them before i eat!!!
I wrack my brain over veggie i can eat as well as fruit.
I am allowed soft fruit with now rough skins.
I will try strawberries later but stuck for other ideas.
would love more....keep em coming moloney!!
xxminnie pal
Old Posted: 04-09-2009 , 08:24 AM #6
moloney2

Default Garden design

Hello again:)
In my garden I can not grow carrots or potatoes as I have clay soil which makes for very funny looking veg. I got around this problem by growing my carrots in pots of compost at least 18" high(carrot fly go at about 12" off the ground so you avoid them) Any type of container will do so long as there are drainage holes in the bottom . The potatoes I grow in bags left over from bird seed or peanuts ( 25kg bag) coal sometimes comes in these types of bags as well, but you can use containers about 18" high and as wide as you can get.
Other veg suggestions would be courgettes which if you left them grow would become marrows, and also pumpkins and squashes. These veg can have a climbing habit, in particular the pumpkins, beautiful flowers and veg that are easy to digest. If there is any room you could try a small plum tree as the fruit is easy to digest and there are flowers as well.
best wishes
moloney2
Old Posted: 04-09-2009 , 08:37 AM #7
minnie pal

Default Ah Plums!

Yes I can go for plums ok! and the pots and carrots, iffy about the others, had a 'bad experience' with pumkin pie in Canada, the vilest thing i ever tasted!!!!
that was over 30yrs ago and still taste the taste.
Was in garden this morning and shifted things around. Mandolin will be pleased that the cliimbers are out in a sunny place on a raised trough, and ditto the raspberry canes, i had a sheltered corner so i think they will overwinter well there.
I cannot now see bud from in the bed nor the bird bath as i have moved the swing seat to between the door of the sitting room and the window of the bedroom, but thinking of taking off the top cover and tyring to get an awing like over a shop, well i need that anyway as i am not supposed to be out in the sun!!
I never did like the clumbsy swing seat look but boy is it fab when unwell.
I put out more bird stuff, peanuts and fat balls and seed.
still only getting the sparrows and starlings.
Yes, someone told me here how to prepare pots etc.
things in new abode are settling and the interior is never done bar a few things.
so i should get back to photography and the garden soon and feel a little more relaxed.
Feel i am on the top of the mountain and can see the view so to speek.
xxann
Old Posted: 04-09-2009 , 08:55 AM #8
moloney2

Default Garden design

Believe me pumpkin pie is not the only thing you can make , soups are great and they are a great addition to stews etc. Courgettes can be used steamed or even stirfried and again good as soup , they also work well with tomatoes in all sorts of dishes. Good to hear you feel better- know how it is as I have been there too. Will continue with suggestions later.
best wishes
moloney2
Old Posted: 04-09-2009 , 05:19 PM #9
summersun

Aah Minnie P.... "Pumpkin Pie" ... heaven on earth... i could eat a whole one topped with cool whip... we aree all different arent we... :-)

Min... I have a huge acre garden... have built a new house... and have been looking for inspiration and ideas for ages... i came across at rte company that were looking for gardens to make over... and thought all my problems were over.. had the garden all planned in my head until they found out it was a weee acre size garden .... they only want small dublin sized gardens... ;-( bah ....

I will look into my messy cupboard and try to find the conatact names and numbers of the top people in this production company and hopefully they will help you :-) and design and make your whole garden for you???

what do you think minnie???

I met up with Bluecurlygirl this morning, so i can finally put a face to another jumbletowner.. the plants she offered you are lovely...

take care
Summersun
summersun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-09-2009 , 09:49 PM #10
minnie pal

Default hi summersun

Yes, i would love the number for the makeover. I am completely overwhelmed now.
I am looking forward to meeting bluecurley girl i have to say, must get in touch with her.
I think i am at an all time low.
had a garden designer here today and just felt completely and utterly overwhelmed.
I cried buckets afterward. just too tired for it right now i have to say.
Old Posted: 09-11-2009 , 11:26 PM #11
minnie pal

Default RTE garden design

is the production company called Tyrone Productions, they do independent programmes for RTE.
thats for you Summersun. would love to give Hope to my twin who has a largish garden with absolutely nothing in it now as its being flattened out. she had such trouble finding a contractor to flatten down the groud but she hopes to have it done this week.
she away at pres gathering her worldly goods to return here after 40yrs away, wow what a wrench back to basically foreign country now for her. xminnie pal
Old Posted: 10-11-2009 , 08:42 AM #12
tasmin

Default hi minipal

like you i have a garden thats in need of a makeover.
and although i love the idea of a bud under the arch, i have to warn you about the mirror.

a few years ago, i put a mirror in the back garden, didnt think anything of it, until the neighbours come banging on the door screaming about a fire.

at first i didnt know what the heck they were talking about, then they said the back garden...still confused i walked out to the back garden only to see a huge fire.

the dog box caught on fire along with a few other things that were in that cornor, so be careful.

thankfully my dog wasnt in the garden that day, cause he normally sits in the dog house...it doesnt even bare thinging about.

take care,
tas.

ps...when its finished post some photos, i might get some inspiration from your work :-)
tasmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-11-2009 , 08:50 AM #13
minnie pal

Default probs such as fire3

i thought there may be probs with my post on this, these large mirrors are for INSIDE my sitting room to reflect back into the room what is in my patio, that is why i ask about the cheaper sheeting.

My Buddha is only going to have a lovely Halo of mirror behind his head, i found it at a car boot sale, but anyone who reads this, who knows how to PRESERVE it back and front, as there is a crude mosaic effect around the edge, i would really love to hear.

xx to everyone, i am going to start posting images now soon but still do not know how to make them smaller despite the post to direct me to where to learn!!!
xxminnie pal
Old Posted: 10-11-2009 , 09:16 AM #14
tasmin

Default hiya minniepal

ohh, i could imagin a sheet of mirror behind the budda...poor bud ar&e would have been burned lol.

i have to say i love the idea.
wish i could do something with my own bare,lifeless garden :-/

i just have no idea where to start.

i would welcome ideas, pics etc.

my garden is an upside down L shape, so its a pain to do anything with.

all the best and good luck with the garden.

Tas
tasmin is offline   Reply With Quote