JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Support Forum > Support Forum
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 19-01-2007 , 01:39 PM #1
buffy

Default Just an idea!!!

Wouldnt it be fair if givers who opted to give an item via a p.m.
Informed others on the thread??It would stop us all posting for something
that might not be available!I know we have the reserved and taken option
but some people seem to forget to use it.
Thanks
buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 19-01-2007 , 01:51 PM #2
Dave Hagan
Administrator

Hi buffy,

That's already in our guidelines to Givers here:
http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/interpage.php

In the PM Area we also remind Givers to update their public post.

Regards
Dave Hagan
Admin
Dave Hagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-01-2007 , 07:54 PM #3
Diana

Default wanted

Hi
How do you indicate that you have received a wanted item? I didn't want to delete the thread in case the arrangement with the first person didn't work out and the other givers details were on the thread not via a PM.
Thanks
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-01-2007 , 08:02 PM #4
Dave Hagan
Administrator

Hi Diana,

While looking at your post, click the "Edit Post" button (bottom right). On the Edit page there is an option to delete your post.

If you don't want to delete your post, just update it indicating you have been offered the item you were looking for.

Regards
Dave Hagan
Admin
Old Posted: 20-01-2007 , 10:09 PM #5
Bunty

I agree with Buffy with regard to pms. On 2 occasions I have sent pms to people & the next thing I see is, the item is taken or reserved. As well as sending a pm I would also post 'pm sent' on thread.

I'm sure many people may feel that I have received these items, where-as I may not have even received a reply.

I look forward so much to going through the site, that I really do not want to find fault, however personally, I would like when people reply to a thread by pm, that they might put pm sent on thread.

On the other hand if a see that somebody has already replied, looking for an item, I normally don't apply as I take it the other person has got there first.

I sometimes feel that some members are constantly sending pms, without advising other members that they have done so & get the item!

However this is just my personal feeling or observation.
Bunty
Bunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-01-2007 , 07:30 PM #6
fsovp101

Hi,

If you send a PM asking for something, Isn't it the responsibility of the person offering to set the item at least as "reserved" until collected?

Cheers,
Felipe
fsovp101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-01-2007 , 07:36 PM #7
Chris P
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsovp101
Hi,

If you send a PM asking for something, Isn't it the responsibility of the person offering to set the item at least as "reserved" until collected?

Cheers,
Felipe

That's right, Felipe. They should see the following link if they need any explanations:
http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/user...TakenItem.html

Regards
Chris P
(Admin)
Chris P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-01-2007 , 06:58 PM #8
erikaedithp

Default Good

Well done Felipe!!
Cheers
Erika
erikaedithp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-01-2007 , 07:15 PM #9
jackbauer

might be off base here but i think some people try to "short circuit" the inthread takers with a pm.certainly seen this myself.
jackbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-01-2007 , 07:31 PM #10
jackbauer

this is probably way outside the orbit of pluto but could we do a sort of ebay format? where a giver posts the item with photo , description etc and takers "bid" in order of 1st , 2nd etc? that way everyone knows where we stand?this site really seems to be taking off and i for one think its the best off all the "freecycle" sites around. I would worry a bit that the format of a forum is perhaps a bit loo lax.again as i say i'm probably crazy!
jackbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-01-2007 , 02:18 AM #11
Dave Hagan
Administrator

Hi Jack,

I'm not sure a change of format will improve things. After all, we can already see who is the first, second or third Taker on a thread.

Even if we did politely request a Giver to pass on their item to the first Taker, it is completely unenforcable -- we would have to babysit every item, monitor thousands of Private Messages and that just can't happen.

Our bottom line has always been this: neither Admin nor a Member has the right to tell a Giver who should get an item -- it's not their property.

Having said that, we're always willing to look at ways of 'tweaking' the system to make the Giving and Taking process as efficient as possible.

Regards
Dave Hagan
Admin
Old Posted: 24-01-2007 , 10:17 AM #12
fsovp101

One thing is for sure, if you want to get a "hot" item (such as a digital camera or plasma TV), you need to be be quick. As soon as the giver posts the thread you can see plenty activity around. It all happens in a matter of minutes, even seconds.

I see it is really hard to get something I may like. But at least that means it is quite easy to give things away.

Cheers,
Felipe
fsovp101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-07-2007 , 06:54 PM #13
acket

Default LoJTo

just wanted to add a note to this thread following what I thought was a bright and apparently well received initiative from one jumbletowner with a popular item and say that such initiatives are very welcome in my book.
The item was a large screen Sony crt TV, the initiative - accept all replies for a few days then draw a winner from a hat.
Thus everyone is a winner - giver gets plenty of interest in item, taker counts their luck whatever time they replied, missers enjoy the participation and have no one to blame but the hat, and Chris and Dave get that 2 cents raise they hoped for due to all the extra clicks generated by the interest that would have otherwise finished after a few replies.
I am not suggesting that everyone follow suit but it certainly provides a morally viable alternative to the first to reply takes, particularly perhaps for "hot" items.
acket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-07-2007 , 07:15 PM #14
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by acket
just wanted to add a note to this thread following what I thought was a bright and apparently well received initiative from one jumbletowner with a popular item and say that such initiatives are very welcome in my book.
The item was a large screen Sony crt TV, the initiative - accept all replies for a few days then draw a winner from a hat.
Thus everyone is a winner - giver gets plenty of interest in item, taker counts their luck whatever time they replied, missers enjoy the participation and have no one to blame but the hat, and Chris and Dave get that 2 cents raise they hoped for due to all the extra clicks generated by the interest that would have otherwise finished after a few replies.
I am not suggesting that everyone follow suit but it certainly provides a morally viable alternative to the first to reply takes, particularly perhaps for "hot" items.

Hi acket,

There is no doubt that Bgreen's "Sony TV" thread was well-received and generated interest but Admin will not be encouraging this type of thread for a number of reasons:

(1) we believe it will lead to fake items being posted and Members being strung along for days on end;

(2) we don't want the site filling up with threads/ads as long as a string of sausages with Member after Member saying "Put my name in the Hat."

Bgreen is to be commended for the way he handled the thread in question but not all Members are as prompt in their updates (for a number of reasons).

So a Giver is of course free to pass on an item to whomsoever they choose, be it the first, second or tenth respondent, but they should do so without delaying the Giving and Taking process.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-07-2007 , 12:37 AM #15
acket

Thats fine Chris, I can see that it would become a problem if everyone followed suit. I dont think it initially started off as a lottery, just after they had considerable interest.
At least we know you are out there to keep us on the straight and narrow whatever wellintentioned (or hairbrained) ideas we may come up with to ensure everything keeps running smoothly :)
acket is offline   Reply With Quote