JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 21-07-2010 , 12:55 PM #1
jelfs

Default Recycling in Trim - €3 euro fee !?

Hi, I'm annoyed because I heard the recycling centre in Trim is charging 3euro entry fee now. It's free in Dublin. Why are they charging? Does anybody know.
jelfs is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 21-07-2010 , 11:15 PM #2
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai

Default re-cycling fee

Hi Jelfs, we pay €2 in the centre in Athlone. the money goes to pay staff I suppose. There is a girl on the desk and a man who operates the machines for crushing paper, cardboard etc. The place is kept really clean and you can bring as much as you like, so that is good value. Eibh.
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 22-07-2010 , 11:52 AM #3
jelfs

Default Recycling, Trim.

Yes, Eibhlin, but the one in Dublin is very well run and opens Sunday too. Free. I would recycle about 70% of my rubbish and take it to centre myself all time, but I just think they are doing nothing to encourage this, I'm thinking it might be easier and cheaper to throw in bin! I'm sure a lot of people think this, but maybe not on this site. I'm not paying 3euro, even if it means the hassle of bringing it to Dublin when I go there.
Old Posted: 23-07-2010 , 12:48 AM #4
cavalin

Baileborough has been doing this for ages...even if its electric goods?? The guy claims he can't over-ride the gate
cavalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-07-2010 , 11:12 AM #5
jelfs

Default Recycling, Trim.

Hi, cavalin.. Not sure what you mean. There is an extra charge (think 10euro) for an electrical item.
Old Posted: 26-07-2010 , 09:55 AM #6
cavalin

Its €3 to get out of the recycling regardless of what you bring in. Its been awhile since I've used it but thats what it was the last time i went there with bottles and tins etc
Old Posted: 31-07-2010 , 08:35 PM #7
goskah

I have no idea why they are charging because they earn a lot using our rubbish. This is just a robbery.
goskah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 31-07-2010 , 09:40 PM #8
jelfs

Default Recycling, Trim.

That's what I thought.
Old Posted: 01-08-2010 , 05:37 PM #9
camroc

Same in Kells. Went from 2 euro to 3 euro. The excuse was that they are now charging vat. (instructions from europe) The same with parking charges
camroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-08-2010 , 06:10 PM #10
jelfs

Default Trim

Well it is obviously an excuse because, why would Dublin be exempt from this so called 'instruction'.
Old Posted: 01-08-2010 , 11:44 PM #11
cavalin

what is most annoying is the fact we all pay the cost of disposal of our electric goods at the time of purchase and now we have to pay again if we want to dispose of them properly. People will just start illegal dumping before long.
Old Posted: 07-08-2010 , 01:54 PM #12
camroc

What do you mean START illegal dumping. Its being going on for years. Just look at the state of the road verges and bogs around Mullagh and the rest of the country. The Co. Council are not interested. I wonder how many people have been fined or prosecuted for fly tipping.
I caught someone dumping bags of bottles on my road in Carnaross. i was pretty annoyed and I took the keys out of his car and called the guards. They took his details but as far as I know, nothing was done about it. I e-mailed the council with the details and photos of the dumping but I never got a reply. Im sorry now that I didnt follow it up. I think that these people should be named and shamed. Guess where this person was from - Moynalty. Thats why they win all the tidy town awards - they dump their rubbish in Carnaross.Ha ha.
I feel much better after that rant. Anyway, 3 Euro isnt a bad price to pay considering the amount of stuff that you can bring to these recycling centres.
camroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-08-2010 , 05:28 PM #13
jelfs

Default Camroc

I have no problem with paying for my actual waste to be rid, it's the recycling that is my problem. For starters, if you live in a small house with not much of a shed, and you have a few kids and struggle along, how do you store all your recycling until you have enough to fill your car and go down with your clean and well sorted recycling to pay 3euro? You would find that there would be nowhere to store stuff so you would have to go to centre quite a lot more often than a person with a bigger home. It's only a small point really but important to some people.
These little things go unsaid and unnoticed by most, just as, ie; if you have plenty of money to go any pay yearly road tax for your car, you get charged a lot less than the struggling person who tries to get the money together every three months for theirs!
I just feel, although times are hard for most at the moment, things are made harder for those struggling all the time.
Old Posted: 07-08-2010 , 09:04 PM #14
4eyes

Default Charges

Over the years I have sorted everything, I mean every iota into its proper bin recycling etc----then read in the papers that in Ireland 80% still goes into landfill, I was disgusted and so disappointed, but I still do it.

The local recycling here is €3 to GET OUT as one of the other JT's pointed out. It is a fair price but as someone else pointed out it can be a problem storing it until you have a car/trailer full.

I know a well to do lady who goes there and RETURNS from the recycling with items such as plates, mugs, lamps, garden furniture, flower pots and the plugs cut from the electric items, so she has no qualms paying her €3.
4eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-08-2010 , 09:10 PM #15
fl0wer2gym

Default recycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelfs
Hi, I'm annoyed because I heard the recycling centre in Trim is charging 3euro entry fee now. It's free in Dublin. Why are they charging? Does anybody know.
It not free in dublin for green waste and the only thing free is white eg fridges etc, and electric wire things/
Though they should not be chargeing to recycle paper or jars etc.
fl0wer2gym is offline   Reply With Quote