JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 02-11-2008 , 10:55 PM #1
Annari1

Default Scribbles on walls

Hi all, just want to pick your brains. I have a very artistic 2 year old who has left her masterpieces in pen/pencil/crayon on my walls. How can I remove the marks without removing the paint as well? All suggestions welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Annari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 02-11-2008 , 11:02 PM #2
Linn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annari1
Hi all, just want to pick your brains. I have a very artistic 2 year old who has left her masterpieces in pen/pencil/crayon on my walls. How can I remove the marks without removing the paint as well? All suggestions welcome.
Thanks in advance.

This may be a silly answer but it might be easier and less hassle just to paint over it. i have mini artists in my house to and thats what we did. They might make us a fortune in years to come lol.
Linn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-11-2008 , 12:46 AM #3
Cherry

Quote:
Thanks in advance.

Have you tried, obviously, a little jif cream.. it works for me. Spray hairspay over her favourite places and next time it will come off more easily, or just give her her own wall... this is really cool wallpaper. I have it for mine and she loves it. http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare.../dp/B000JIAFM6
Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-11-2008 , 10:20 AM #4
Stuarty

If you are willling to give her her own piece of wall, you could always paint it with Blackboard paint, and you have a reusable chalk board that she can rub off and start again, they sell in in DIY shops like Atlantic and Woodies
Stuarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-11-2008 , 10:39 AM #5
collierjo

Default Picasso

Hi there,

Get an old toothbrush and some white toothpaste (not the gel stuff) and rub it in. It is the best thing to remove crayon from walls. Then wash it off with luke warm water. It has the added benefit of leaving the room minty fresh! Jif or Cif is abrasive and over time can damage the paint on the walls.
collierjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-11-2008 , 12:53 PM #6
narki

Default scribbles

You could also try some vegetable oil or baby oil, because crayons are oil based, the vegetable oil will mix well and thin it out out till it can be just wiped off and also the oil should not have any effect on water based paint.
Oil is also great for removing gloss paint from your hand and is much milder on the skin than white spirit.
narki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-11-2008 , 02:17 PM #7
mammasboys

Default wall scribbles

I remember reading once that fresh white bread is very good for removing marks off walls. Works like a gentle eraser. Worth a go anyway!
When my little one showed an interest, I invested in that paint that you can give a bit of a scrub!
mammasboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-11-2008 , 02:32 PM #8
bluecurlygirl

Default Baby wipes

If you have any handy I find them great
bluecurlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-11-2008 , 06:40 PM #9
Annari1

Default Scribbles

Thank you all so much for all the suggestions. I will try them and see how I get on. Thanks a million. Annari
Old Posted: 03-11-2008 , 08:53 PM #10
zuess

Default crayon

Hi WD40 gets crayon off walls you could try it, but it depends what paint its on
zuess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-11-2008 , 09:01 PM #11
betsy10112000

Default scribbles

hi
i have my own artist to and i found a simple pencil rubber gets mosts marks off the paint work without marking the wall.(this includes pen and crayon)make sure its a white rubber though, if you use a coloured rubber you will mark the wall with the dye in the rubber.
hope you have sparkling walls soon. :)
betsy10112000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-11-2008 , 09:29 PM #12
summersun

Default I have just the cure

Hi Annari,

I have the same problem as well and found an amazing sponge that does work 1000% guaranteed, only problem is whether you can still get them now..... Once or twice a year LIDL bring out a range of cleaning cemicals and amongst the range is a pink and white sponge called Aqua Pur Dirt eraser sponge it is in a pack of two and only costs about two eurro but it does work my artists got permanent pen (lots of ) on my oak kitchen table and nothing would budge this NOTHING. A friend recomended this sponge and i ridiculed this stupid chemical free sponge BUT I ATE MY WORDS with no elbow grease or effort of any kind the permanent pen disappeared and left no trace at all, it has also removed ink and marker pans on walls and the stairs and spindles,. These sponges were in lidl's a few months ago so i am not sure when they will be in again but if you pm me your address i will send you one of my treasured sponges..... keep an eye out in lidls leaflets or if i see them coming up in the future i will pm you
Good Luck Summersun

Quote:
Thanks in advance.
summersun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-11-2008 , 10:25 PM #13
misetusa

Default Budding Artist

Believe it or not this phase will pass - and you will MISS it!! I like the suggestions about assinging a piece of wall to the little artist - you can take photos of it at various stages and see how the art is progressing!
misetusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-11-2008 , 12:46 AM #14
needmoresleep

Default crayon off wall

Crayon companies recommed using soapy water.
It didnt work for me, i had to use wd40!!!!! sprayed it on and then washed it off again.
(needed a good wash to get the wd40 off) but it didnt remove the paint.
(i was in reted accomodation by the way)
needmoresleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-11-2008 , 06:51 PM #15
Annari1

Default Scribbler

Some more great ideas! Thanks everyone. I have tried the baby wipes but just like soapy water it is removing the paint. Repainting is not an option, I would have to continue on up the stairs and on to the landing, I HATE PAINTING!!!! Thanks a million Summersun for that suggestion, I do remember those sponges but have'nt been able to find them anywhere. I would feel bad about taking one of yours , seeing as they are so scarce. Thanks for the kind thought though.
Annari1