JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 30-11-2008 , 12:09 PM #1
Anfearisfearr

Default dead cordless drills

Just a little idea re recycling of cordless drills.I had two of these 18v.The batteries died in both and the price was too expensive to replace.Kindly another jt,er gave me an idea rather than scrap them.She had two 19v dell power supplies going a begging.as these are 19v i thought they would be ideal supplies for the drills.I removed the dead cells from the batteries and soldered the output to the battery terminals.Then extended the mains lead and drilled a hole to pass it through the old battery case.The dell power supply was fixed inside the old battery with sticky fixers.All screwed back together and there you go.It is no longer cordless but nonetheless very useful as a normal drill in the workshop.Thank you Jeana.
Anfearisfearr is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 30-11-2008 , 07:31 PM #2
jeana

Your welcome, wow that sounds very complicated to me- well done! I have had a few broken chargers and phones recently I when I scratched the connectors with a pin and then put them together they worked and I had a mobile that the buttons didnt work and I pealed the Top layer off a broken handset and took out a little circular disc (that's under each button) and placed that between the two layers of the broken phone button (under the metal) and the button works perfectly now- Has anyone else any good easy diy tips?
Jeana
jeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 30-11-2008 , 08:42 PM #3
Anfearisfearr

Default cd players

Heres one thats easy and can save scrapping good equipment.Cd and dvd players that are used in kitchens or particularly in living rooms with open fireplaces often stop reading the discs and show no disc present error message.This is because the laser becomes smoke or dust or grease covered.The solution to this is simply to clean the laser using methylated spirits and a cotton wool dud.Some players have small doors to gain access to the laser.If you can see and reach the laser,this normally fixs the problem.The laser is like a small glass bead that can be seen when the dvd or cd carriage is open.It is very fragile so go very lightly while rubbing it.To reach some i tape the bud to a pencil.The excess meths will evaporate.Of course make sure all equipment is pulled out before attempting this.Worth a try before scrapping good equipment.
Old Posted: 01-12-2008 , 01:24 AM #4
Bettybooboopbedoop

Thanks a million Anfearisfearr i'm going to give that a try. Might help to play a few of my discs.
Bettybooboopbedoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-12-2008 , 08:14 AM #5
jeana

Hi
I have a triple cd player yoke that won't play- I'm sure it's full of dust inside- hmmm, I'll have a look and see if I can locate the laser- It's a big hifi yoke and it takes up a lot of space for just a radio and a tape recorder, it'd be great if I could get the cd going again- We'll see what happens....
Thanks for the tip
Jeana

P.s THe dvd in the sitting room keeps opening by itself wheen you put the disc in- there's a chance that the baby put something in it I suppose. Recently my video wouldn't work and I took 8 coins out of it- my daughter must think that it's some sort of money box lol. I remember years ago, we had a video (about the size of a small suitcase lol) the repair man handed my dad a bag of junk that was inside the machine- it included an entire set of ludo including the cardboard board- a few toy cars and a few coins lol. I had twin baby brothers so 'double trouble' lol.
jeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-12-2008 , 09:15 AM #6
Anfearisfearr

Default video

My child when young somehow got it in his head that the video was a toaster.The amount of time we put in a video only to crush bread,toast and butter into the machine.I took it to be repaired twice.Eventually the repairman showed me how to open it and remove ,then use the hoover on it.It stayed going for years after.