Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 24-08-2006 , 12:22 AM #1
Chris P
Administrator

Default Waste Crime

Dept of the Environment Press Release (14 August 2006):

"Roche takes further action against waste crime"

Mr. Dick Roche, T.D., Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government today (14 August 2006) signed into law new regulations, the Waste Management (Landfill Levy) (Amendment) Regulations 2006, which provide for a special penalty for those who illegally deposit waste. Under existing law legitimate operators are liable for an environmental levy of €15 per tonne of waste legally landfilled. This money is channelled to the Environment Fund where it is used, among other things, to assist local authorities in providing recycling facilities and in combating illegal waste activity. The new Regulations provide that waste illegally deposited will attract an additional punitive levy of €5 per tonne bringing the charge for illegal operators up to €20 per tonne deposited. This is the maximum increase in any one year permitted under the Waste Management Acts. In addition, it is proposed that 80% of this additional money will be retained by the local authority to use in better enforcing waste management law, compared to 20% under the current regulations.

Announcing his action Minister Roche said: "Since taking office I have systematically sought to engender a newly aggressive approach against those criminals that despoil our environment and threaten our health by illegally dumping waste. I have done so in a variety of ways including, crucially, by last year utilising for the first time the power in the Waste Management Act allowing a Minister for the Environment to issue a policy direction to local authorities and the EPA. This direction unambiguously set out what is required in dealing with illegal waste activity by ensuring that any damage to the environment is rectified and that the perpetrators pay a high price. I know that this direction has been quickly taken on board by the EPA through its Office of Environmental Enforcement, and by the local authorities. The timing of the new levy regulations coupled with the recent launch by the Office of Environmental Enforcement of their illegal dumping line means that we can hit these operators with even greater effect and I urge the public to report any such wrongdoings"

Turning to the new punitive landfill levy, the Minister added: "The local authorities already have considerable powers and sanctions at their disposal but I am determined to add to their armoury wherever possible. This special landfill levy which I have brought into law applies a new sanction in respect of illegal waste deposits which is one third higher than what legitimate waste management operators pay. This both acts as a further penalty against the criminals, and is the maximum I can at present impose, and also is a signal to the legitimate waste industry that I am determined that they shall not be disadvantaged by acting in a law abiding fashion."

In conclusion, the Minister urged local authorities to redouble their efforts against illegal waste operators using the significant additional resources which he has already made available and the income which can now be generated for them by this new punitive levy and added: "I am keeping this situation under ongoing review and stand ready to take whatever further measures which may become necessary within the law to stamp out environmental criminality."

ENDS
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links