JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Before & After (Upcycling)
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 27-07-2011 , 11:42 AM #16
melissabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfbemt
Well done and a great job.

Looking at your wall accessories made me feel annoyed about some items that I had given away previously. Lack of vision on my part, GGGRRRRRR

Will you tile around or under the toilet? Under looks best but I have always gone around.

We're going to get advice from my other halfs grandfather about removing the toilet to tile under it, Fingers crossed ;)
melissabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 30-09-2011 , 02:28 PM #17
melissabell

Well, I've finally finished the whole bathroom, except eventually I need new taps and I'm going to get my Brother in law to help me build a unit for under the sink :)
I removed the toilet which was easier than I thought it would be, not the most pleasant experience ever but do-able :) When I'd finished the floor I ordered tile decals to tie the room together better from Ebay total for them was less than €15 and they're very hard wearing.
Attached Images

Old Posted: 30-09-2011 , 10:05 PM #18
shonastar

Hi Melissabell, it looks amazing, well done you! The tiling is fantastic, I would never have believed it was your first time, you must be thrilled with your new look bathroom, best regards, Shonastar x
shonastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-10-2011 , 06:34 PM #19
TickTock

The bathroom looks great! No stoppin' you now!
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-12-2011 , 02:02 PM #20
Herodius

Default removing tiles?

Hi Melissabel, I'm looking at your bathroom in admiration! I love your colours too. I want to remove the tiles from my bathroom, but everyone said it'd be really difficult to get the glue off. They probably date from the 70s or 80s, one partitiion wall and two external walls. Just wondering what your opinion is. I was told I'd have to take the plasterboard off and replace before tiling on top of it. Many thanks
H
Herodius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-12-2011 , 08:56 PM #21
melissabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodius
Hi Melissabel, I'm looking at your bathroom in admiration! I love your colours too. I want to remove the tiles from my bathroom, but everyone said it'd be really difficult to get the glue off. They probably date from the 70s or 80s, one partitiion wall and two external walls. Just wondering what your opinion is. I was told I'd have to take the plasterboard off and replace before tiling on top of it. Many thanks
H

Well if you try a bit and see, mine weren't done very well to begin with . I used a wallpaper scraper and a hammer to get them off, but definitely put some old blankets etc down before you start popping them off as falling tiles mark and chip your bath or shower tray, I learned the hard way :(
Also definitely wear goggles as bits of sharp porcelain fly off and the last thing you want is to get that in your eye!!!

The grout came off easy enough but mind your hands I've ended up with more than a few grazed knuckles.
I just took tiles off my other shower and the adhesive was more difficult to remove especially on one wall. I've levelled it as much as I can so I'll just have to lose a few millimetres on that wall. I didn't do damaged to the plaster board except the odd nick etc but you can fill that. Try a couple of tiles and see, sometimes they all come away from the wall in one go lol.

If you make a hole fill it, I wouldn't really worry too much, if I can do it anyone can :)
Old Posted: 11-12-2011 , 11:33 PM #22
mondubics

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissabell
Well, I've finally finished the whole bathroom, except eventually I need new taps ....
Well done - you seem to have covered everything! Can I suggest that if you are replacing the taps, to consider lever taps instead of turning ones? I did that a few years ago, and now that I have arthritis in my thumbs, I'm so glad I did. (lever sideways, or up and down).
mondubics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-12-2011 , 08:24 AM #23
Herodius

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissabell
if I can do it anyone can :)

>cough!<

Thanks so much for your reply, it has made me feel a lot less apprehensive about undertaking this. :D

About taps - I suppose it's too late, but I can't understand why everyone doesn't put in mixer taps from the beginning. But I agree about the levers.
Herodius is offline   Reply With Quote