JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Support Forum > Support Forum
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 14-11-2008 , 09:38 PM #1
Jenc

Default Just a suggestion for the Wanted Section

Hi Admin, Just wondering if there would be any chance in a small (huge ?not sure programming wise?) change to the wanted section.

1) To have "region" column like the other sections. I often have something someone wants but they live on the other side of the county and I only realise it after reading the post (reducing time spent in hunting things down ;o) )and would it be handy to know the county someone lives in.

2) Any chance of a "Still want" and "item recieved" column?

Anyway, just thought it might be handy for people who route through the wanted section with object of giving, make life a little easier.

Jenc
Jenc is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 14-11-2008 , 09:56 PM #2
Chris P
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenc
Hi Admin, Just wondering if there would be any chance in a small (huge ?not sure programming wise?) change to the wanted section.

1) To have "region" column like the other sections. I often have something someone wants but they live on the other side of the county and I only realise it after reading the post (reducing time spent in hunting things down ;o) )and would it be handy to know the county someone lives in.

2) Any chance of a "Still want" and "item recieved" column?

Anyway, just thought it might be handy for people who route through the wanted section with object of giving, make life a little easier.

Jenc
Hi Jenc,

The changes you suggest make sense but I can't see them being made any time soon. Apart from the fact that the coding is different and may be tricky to alter, JumbleTown's Managers are not particularly keen to emphasise the Wanted forum. This is because JumbleTown is primarily about "I have this item -- do you want it?" and not "I want this item -- do you have it?" In fact, the Wanted forum was something of an afterthought and we limit it to 50 pages (it was up to 120 pages at one stage!).

Members should use the "Search" facility (top right of listings) and follow the instructions/suggestions outlined in the "stickies" at the top of the forum...or...the "Advanced Search" just beneath the log-in box. Enter key-words at the top left and then select the Wanted forum from the list on the right.

Re: "Still want" and "Item received" column: Givers should assume that the item is still wanted if the ad is still on the Board. Once an item has been received, Members should simply click the Edit Post button at the bottom right of their ad and then choose the Delete option.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-11-2008 , 10:42 PM #3
The Mammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P

JumbleTown's Managers are not particularly keen to emphasise the Wanted forum. This is because JumbleTown is primarily about "I have this item -- do you want it?" and not "I want this item -- do you have it?" In fact, the Wanted forum was something of an afterthought and we limit it to 50 pages (it was up to 120 pages at one stage!).

Hi Chris
Don't you think that the Wanted section has really developed into the quickest moving section in JT, and despite it being an ''afterthought'' it really is very popular..On many occasions I have looked through the wanted section only to realise I have an item that someone wants, but never thought about giving it as it was probably stuffed in the back of a wardrobe or in the attic....but that wanted Add reminded me that I had an item that someone needed....if you get my meaning....
I think maybe ''The Managers'' should move with the times and allow a re-vamp of the wanted section.....
I have seen my add in the wanted section end up 7 or 8 pages down only a few hours after bumping it....So in reality That section has a lot of traffic....
Anyway at the end of the day ''Stuff ''is still finding it's way to new owners..
I love The Wanted section....Come on The Managers...
Best Wishes
The Mammy
The Mammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-11-2008 , 11:24 PM #4
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mammy
Hi Chris
Don't you think that the Wanted section has really developed into the quickest moving section in JT, and despite it being an ''afterthought'' it really is very popular..On many occasions I have looked through the wanted section only to realise I have an item that someone wants, but never thought about giving it as it was probably stuffed in the back of a wardrobe or in the attic....but that wanted Add reminded me that I had an item that someone needed....if you get my meaning....
I think maybe ''The Managers'' should move with the times and allow a re-vamp of the wanted section.....
I have seen my add in the wanted section end up 7 or 8 pages down only a few hours after bumping it....So in reality That section has a lot of traffic....
Anyway at the end of the day ''Stuff ''is still finding it's way to new owners..
I love The Wanted section....Come on The Managers...
Best Wishes
The Mammy
Hi The Mammy,

I'll put your points to the Managers but I can't see them changing their view of the Wanted forum. Even if it were reconfigured with extra columns indicating region and "Still Looking" etc (as suggested by Jenc above), it still isn't what JumbleTown is really about (see my post above).

We limit the Wanted forum to 50 pages because when we let it run to 100+ pages, ads were posted but some folks did not respond to offers from Givers, i.e., Givers were wasting their time by offering in the first place and then by waiting for a response that never came, despite the fact that the Requesters receive automatic email notification of the offer. This has nothing to do with the format of the Wanted forum but more to do with the devil-may-care attitude of some potential Takers. However, it must be said that those who regularly bump their ads are clearly very keen to receive items, and Givers should still consider offering their items to Requesters in the Wanted forum.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-11-2008 , 01:44 PM #5
Jenc

I hear ya Chris. Pity as it is a good section but sure the rest of jumble town is great too. To the search forum it is so.

Thanks for the reply.

jenc.
Jenc is offline   Reply With Quote