JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 18-04-2009 , 10:35 PM #1
jpmum

Default what can i put in to a composter???

Hi there, just bought one but havent the first idea about what to put in it,can anyone let me know what i can and cant use.
thanks a lot
jpmum
jpmum is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 19-04-2009 , 11:37 AM #2
lislaw

Hi
You can put any uncooked food waste, like peelings, salad leftovers etc. Any overripe fruit or veg, tea bags, coffee grinds, egg shells (scrunched up), egg boxes or newspaper ripped up / shredded, used potting compost , garden cuttings including grass ( If you've put grass in or are using a lot of grass then it's a good idea to put a layer of shredded paper in beneath it or on top as its a good way to absorb the moisture from the grass and help the paper decay.
Any kitchen or garden waste really is fine. Woodier or thicker items should be chopped up or cut into smaller bits so they won't take as long to break down.

It's easier to say what shouldn't go in:
No Cooked Food Waste
No Animal Droppings (except chicken poo)
No Oils
No Plastic (obviously)
No Breads or Pastas

Give it a good going at with a garden fork, if you can, the odd time. It stops the mixture getting too compacted and helps to introduce air to help the process along.

When you open the lid - stand back - or else get a mouthful of flies and a lungful of rotting waste smell.

I've always found it useful to throw in a few worms to get that side of things going, although they should find their own way in eventually.

Good luck
Lisa
lislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-04-2009 , 11:45 AM #3
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmum
Hi there, just bought one but havent the first idea about what to put in it,can anyone let me know what i can and cant use.
thanks a lot
jpmum
Hi jpmum,

There are already a number of threads relating to composting in the Green Tips forum.

To find them, click on the "Search this Forum" button at the top right of the listings and enter the word "compost" in the dropdown box.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-04-2009 , 11:53 AM #4
jpmum

Thank you lislaw,thats a great help :) thanks for your time in replying.chris p,** thanks for that,didnt know :)hopefully ill get going soon!thanks again.
jpmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-04-2009 , 06:34 PM #5
TimK

Our composter has had almost a year and seems to be composting, though very slowly. I just turned it over with a garden fork and took out quite a crop of new potatoes. I'm not sure that this should happen, I think it must mean that it isn't getting hot enough. Anybody have any comments?
TimK is offline   Reply With Quote