JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 01-03-2010 , 01:25 PM #1
steptoes

Default Very Slippy Deck - Has anybody any ideas?

My deck is very slippy, especially in this weather. It needs re-painting but even when it is done it's still slippy in cold weather. Is there anything I can do or any product that I can use to help. I put salt on it when it's bad but need to do more. It's a large deck and looks lovely and cost a fortune so i don't want to remove it just need to find a way to make it safer. I was wondering are there some kind of grip studs that I could use on the main traffic areas to give better grip? Hope some clever jumbletowner will know before I land on my rear again
steptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 01-03-2010 , 02:16 PM #2
horseshoe

We sometimes have the same problem, we get some cheap chicken wire and tack it down and simply pull it up in milder weather
horseshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-03-2010 , 02:23 PM #3
mammasboys

Default anti slip

This might help.
http://www.upkeepers.co.uk/Product/H8600
mammasboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-03-2010 , 02:27 PM #4
dee1

Quote:
Originally Posted by steptoes
My deck is very slippy, especially in this weather. It needs re-painting but even when it is done it's still slippy in cold weather. Is there anything I can do or any product that I can use to help. I put salt on it when it's bad but need to do more. It's a large deck and looks lovely and cost a fortune so i don't want to remove it just need to find a way to make it safer. I was wondering are there some kind of grip studs that I could use on the main traffic areas to give better grip? Hope some clever jumbletowner will know before I land on my rear again

friends of mine had the same problem and when contacted suppliers were told to mix sand with the varnish to coat it, they say theyve no problems since.
dee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-03-2010 , 02:48 PM #5
davec5

Default deck

do not put varnish on it it will hold water go black and rot very quickly
davec5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-03-2010 , 09:38 PM #6
steptoes

Default great ideas

Thank you. These are great ideas. The deck isn't rotten or green. no rotten leaves it's really just becauce of the bad weather that it's slippy but it's scarily so early on an icy morning. Will try a few of the ideas.
Old Posted: 04-03-2010 , 10:26 PM #7
misty406

Quote:
Originally Posted by steptoes
As far as I know you can get a sand based decking paint in the likes of Woodies or Atlantic. Hope this might help.
misty406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-03-2010 , 12:41 AM #8
propellor

Default decking

might be stupid but I seem to remember years back you could buy grip tape for skateboards a bit like stickyback sandpaper, if it comes on a roll you could stick it to the high traffic areas and keep the rest nice an woody.

just found this camo coloured stuff;-))

http://www.skatehut.co.uk/acatalog/S...WElA odxVDRZg

and this shows you how to stick it to wood, you could cut it into strips and stick it to the lats.

http://skateboard.about.com/od/board...ToGriptape.htm
propellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-03-2010 , 10:21 AM #9
steptoes

Default update

Have spent the weekend power washing, cleaning and scrubbing the deck. It was overdue for a big clean. Used special deck reviver and today and putting on the preserver and then a top coat of a special deck paint that has an anti slip grit in it. If this doesn't work I will then try the strips like on the skakeboards. It looks way better already. Note to anybody thinking of decking- a large deck is hard work to maintain. My back is sore from sheer hard work of it but don't want it to rot and don't want it to be dangerously slippy.
Thank you for your advise and hopefully the good weather will keep up

ps. the anti slip paint is seriously smelly skicky stuff
Old Posted: 08-03-2010 , 10:55 AM #10
Angelsfishingrod

Default decking

Hi you can buy Anti slipping paint in DIY stores,, Cuprinol supposed to be good.
Maybe give it a good wash with washing detergent, and a stiff brush, then rinse with hose, of gently power hose.. if u have green on it. then let it dry see what its like then. :)
Angelsfishingrod is offline   Reply With Quote