JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 26-09-2006 , 12:56 AM #1
Bagpuss

Default Brown Bins

We've recently been given a brown bin as a trial run. I've stuck to all the guidelines religiously. My problem is that it has to be kept at the front of the house, out of necessity. When I open my windows to air the front room, I now have hoards of flies which have gathered around the bin. They only collect it every two weeks and there is already a fungus in it (necessary for composting) and a lot of white maggots. I've also had to chase away cats and one urban fox!! The lid is closed tightly but it stinks!! Any suggestions to get rid of these problems as I believe the idea is great and I've been waiting for it to come around for a long time. I don't want it to turn into a case of 'careful what you wish for'!
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 28-09-2006 , 09:04 PM #2
Jemima

Default Brown Bins

Hi
Yes I thought Itd be a good idea also but am pleased they havent got to us yet. I believe the same opinion is widespread. The corporation was asked the same question about solving the problem and they said "keep the lid closed".
A very hi-tech solution as you might have guessed. Unfortunately I dont have the answer but will be checking to see if someone else has.
Jemima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 29-09-2006 , 02:08 AM #3
Bagpuss

Keeping the lid closed doesn't solve the problem. In it's second week, I feel like wretching every time I open it to put something in. I've lined and layered it with newspapers. The real problem is that the corporation only collect every two weeks. God knows what the smell will be like in the summer!!
Old Posted: 29-09-2006 , 03:05 PM #4
Bagpuss

They're charging me 2.50 a lift from day one. It's not a free trial and I don't get the choice. The grey bin is over 3 a lift and will now only be collected every two weeks. I'm still filling it, even though I have the green bin too.
Old Posted: 29-09-2006 , 03:14 PM #5
Jemima

Default Brown Bin

Our grey bin is 5.50 a lift and whatever for the standing charge.
I have no problem with this as we recycle most things and it only goes out once a month and thats only because we have 2 babies in nappies and feel sorry for the neighbours if we held onto it any longer.
But theres no way Im getting a brown bin and hope my immediate neighbours dont either as both my small children walk on the small path at the front of the house where the bins are.

They will have to come up with a solution and quickly going by the feedback from anybody I know who got them.
Jemima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 29-09-2006 , 03:30 PM #6
Bagpuss

I was in Canda years ago and they had a great system. The bins were much smaller but were collected every week. The bin lorry was divided in two and the guys put your brown and grey bin in at the same time. They emptied into different compartments on the lorry. Sounds like a solution to me!!