JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 09-09-2010 , 02:24 AM #1
SLCB

Default Blackberries

This post isn't exactly true to the purpose of the website but as I'm trying to live in a frugal manner it may fit in somewhat? I've picked 2kg of Blackberries so far and froze them, there are loads more near where I live and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on using them. I've searched the web and keep getting recipes for 'blackberry pie' and variations of it from American websites - I'm not too interested in pie's so I'm hoping some JT'ers will have ideas.
SLCB is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 09-09-2010 , 09:34 AM #2
kitty

Default blackberries.

can be used in muffins, to make cordial, sauce and of course traditionally jam .
kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-09-2010 , 10:16 AM #3
TickTock

Blackberry and apple jam. I think you need the apples to add pectin to set it. You lucky thing with all those blackberries. I've been out several times in my area and hardly anything out yet. Maybe I'll pop out again today and see. So far on my travels I've brought back no more than half a dozen (blackberries that is, not kgs!)
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-09-2010 , 04:21 PM #4
iliy

if there frozen you could use them for smoothes or juice drinks..
iliy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-09-2010 , 04:50 PM #5
Athy55

I collected a large bag full Tuesday evening. There seems to be a wonderful crop of them this year. Sorry to report that I made a blackerry sponge with mine. It was delicious with custard. Hubby was overjoyed (he has a sweet tooth). You could make some blackberry wine. There is also a plentyful supply of damsons and sloes this year, so plenty more wine making ingredients! And the hazelnuts are growing in abundance, my only complaint with them is that usually they are to high in the tree for me to reach. Happy gathering!!! Athy55
Athy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-09-2010 , 11:19 AM #6
SLCB

Default Hedgerow crops

I've seen loads of sloe's while picking blackberries, not sure what I could do with them, I've been told by a guy who saw me collecting that there's loads of hazelnuts further down the road so I'll search for them when they ripen a bit, while out yesterday a neighbour walked by with her 5 years old who asked what the blackberries were??? She'd never tasted one. Amazing. Does anyone know what I'd need to make damson wine, I've never tried before.
Old Posted: 11-09-2010 , 06:00 PM #7
Karolankan

Default Homemade fruit ice-pops

Lightly simmer 1lb of blackberries with a drop of water. Next Put them in a blender, give them a whiz, then sive them through a fine sive. Next put them back in the blender (by now washed out) and add a large pot of any flavour yogurt & give it a whiz. Taste it and if you think it's a bit sharp, add 3 tablespoons of Icing sugar & whiz again. Then pour the mixture into Ice-Pop moulds, (I got mine in Woodies) and l put them into your freezer. Your little people will just love them. I know mine did!
Karolankan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-09-2010 , 05:42 PM #8
paul dempsey

Default make jam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCB
This post isn't exactly true to the purpose of the website but as I'm trying to live in a frugal manner it may fit in somewhat? I've picked 2kg of Blackberries so far and froze them, there are loads more near where I live and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on using them. I've searched the web and keep getting recipes for 'blackberry pie' and variations of it from American websites - I'm not too interested in pie's so I'm hoping some JT'ers will have ideas.

put blackberries in pot with same weight sugar & a little water, bring to the boil & simmer for 30 mins, add some fresh lemon juice to help set. clean & bake some jars & lids to make them sterile & fill jars while jam is hot. when cool lids will seal under vacum. to serve bake some scones & serve with fresh whipped cream. yum!
paul dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-09-2010 , 01:26 AM #9
SLCB

Default Jam

I've never tried making jam before and any other recipe I've seen looked complicated, measuring the temperature of the mix etc so I never had the confidence to try it but your recipe sounds great so I'll try it this weekend, I'll let you know how I get on. Still loads of blackberries here and I've found some hazel trees with loads of nuts, just have to wait for them to ripen. It'll be wild mushrooms next (I love them).
Old Posted: 15-09-2010 , 04:42 PM #10
TickTock

I used to make jam years ago and I tested to see if it was set by popping several small saucers/plates into the freezer for about half an hour or so. When they are very cold, drop some jam mix on and if it sets on the plate then the jam is ready to pot. If it is still very liquidy then boil a little longer and continue to test. A lot depends on the pectin content of your fruit. I'm absolutely no expert but I managed to produce a lot of blackcurrant jam as my MIL used to grow blackcurrants and always gave me buckets and buckets of them. Best jam in the whole world!!
Old Posted: 17-09-2010 , 12:53 PM #11
TickTock

Wanted to ask SLCB and anyone else whereabouts do you get your blackberries? I've been trekking out here in West Dublin for about 4 weeks and found hardly anything worth carrying home. There seems to be loads on the bushes but they just aren't ripening at all. I don't even have enough to make a small crumble! I'm so disappointed!
Old Posted: 17-09-2010 , 10:17 PM #12
SLCB

Default Blackberries

I'm picking them in West Limerick (near Adare) and honestly there is so many I just couldn't pick them all, I was also out walking in Kildare but there didn't seem to be as many yet I remember picking lots there when I was a child.
Old Posted: 18-09-2010 , 12:35 PM #13
Athy55

I get mine on the canal walk in Athy Tick Tock. Loads of them there, wish I was taller though. The good fruit seems to grow up high. Same with hazelnuts, I'd need to be a giant (or carry a ladder). Only wild fruit I've seen plentyful down low are the damsons.I'm wondering if this bountyful harvest of wild berries is a sign of a hard winter??? Athy55
Athy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-09-2010 , 07:12 PM #14
TickTock

Obviously I'm looking in the wrong place!! Will try again in a few days but the weather has turned so cold, I'm not expecting there will be any change in the harvest round these parts!
Old Posted: 28-09-2010 , 12:35 PM #15
ambie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCB
I've seen loads of sloe's while picking blackberries, not sure what I could do with them, I've been told by a guy who saw me collecting that there's loads of hazelnuts further down the road so I'll search for them when they ripen a bit, while out yesterday a neighbour walked by with her 5 years old who asked what the blackberries were??? She'd never tasted one. Amazing. Does anyone know what I'd need to make damson wine, I've never tried before.
sloes and damsons make gin not wine
ambie is offline   Reply With Quote