JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 06-04-2010 , 11:19 PM #1
dee1

Default Cat deterrent #1 - garden

Does anyone know of a really good way of keeping cats away from one particular part of my garden.
I need something that is known to actually work.
dee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 07-04-2010 , 08:43 AM #2
TickTock

Default cat deterent

I read this somewhere, you may have heard about it already. Get a large clear empty plastic bottle, like a fizzy drink bottle, and fill it with water, put the lid on and lie it sideways on your grass at strategic points. I'm told the cats don't like what the magnifying effect of the water does to their eyesight! I've seen it done in neighbours' gardens. Otherwise your local garden centre probably stocks something for the problem.

Personally I'd say it would take something cats don't like the smell of, but they do sniff the most obnoxious things as they potter about don't they!
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-04-2010 , 12:24 PM #3
kandeekane

Default keep cats away

tried, tested and proven to work, ............ pepper ! ordinary white pepper that you put on your dinner, on grass sprinkle it all over, for plants and flowers (which was why i used it) all over but about 2 inches away from the base of the plants or flowers, worked perfect for me.
kandeekane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-04-2010 , 08:27 PM #4
Pepperpixie

orange peel is supposed to work also.
Pepperpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-04-2010 , 08:39 PM #5
Gormal

LOL Ticktock one of my old neighbours did that with the bottles, it didn't work. In fact a big ginger Tom used come in and roll around the garden with it!
Gormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-04-2010 , 09:26 PM #6
dee1

Default pesty cat

Ok now it is for a raised flower bed area.
Sorry I should have mentioned that,so I want something that is not noticeable,as the cat is already digging it up.
Just a quick question in connection to the pepper,how often or how long do I have to spread it for???
If anyone has any other advice they can offer,I would appriciate it.
Thank you.
Old Posted: 07-04-2010 , 10:36 PM #7
denkarma

Default hi

Found this on a web page........There is a new garden plant, Coleus canina, on the market. It is marketed under the names Pee-off and Scaredy-cat. This plant has a pungent odour that is said to repel cats and other mammals from the garden .........[url]http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/gardening/unwantedvisitors/cats/catdeterrents.asp...... also have a look at this site ......http://www.cat-repellant.info/html/d............ hope they help
Denis
denkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-04-2010 , 08:54 AM #8
TickTock

Default cat deterent

Thanks Gormal - I must retract so!!!! Sorry for misleading you dee1! The pepper sound a good idea. If the cat won't stop I wonder if there is something there the cat wants, maybe there's a dead bird buried there, or maybe the cat just uses it a loo? Not nice for you.
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-04-2010 , 11:49 PM #9
the child

I tried that cat deterrant plant last year. i think it actually attracted cats! I've just heard that cats don't like the smell of Jeyes fluid. Fill a couple of jars with it, and sink them into the soil. I haven't tried it, but I will...
the child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-04-2010 , 12:06 AM #10
dee1

Default cat

Well here is the update,tried the pepper no joy,even tried the one sold in pet and gardening stores again no joy.jayes we use to clean our yard, paths and drains on a weekly basis, and it dosent seem to stop the cat skulking about.However we bought 3 RUE plants and so far so good it seems to have done the job,and I have noticed she has found a new spot to use as her toilet so I am happy,so much so I even sectioned off her new patch so she can have it as her permanent toilet and she seems very happy to use it as just that.....Again thank you to all who took time out to reply...
Old Posted: 25-04-2010 , 03:53 PM #11
kandeekane

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee1
Well here is the update,tried the pepper no joy,even tried the one sold in pet and gardening stores again no joy.jayes we use to clean our yard, paths and drains on a weekly basis, and it dosent seem to stop the cat skulking about.However we bought 3 RUE plants and so far so good it seems to have done the job,and I have noticed she has found a new spot to use as her toilet so I am happy,so much so I even sectioned off her new patch so she can have it as her permanent toilet and she seems very happy to use it as just that.....Again thank you to all who took time out to reply...

where did you buy the rue plants ? although pepper worked for me it would be cheaper to have a permanent solution in place thanx
kandeekane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-04-2010 , 09:19 PM #12
dee1

Default cat

I got them in a garden centre,they were €2.50 each.I bought them as a quick fix solution.
You can also buy them in the seed packets,for the same price,which I also got.I had been so addled by the cat that I compleately forgot about all the old ways,and all the different ways in which to use herbs,but thankfully I am now back on track...