JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Before & After (Upcycling)
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 28-10-2015 , 07:06 PM #1
eisforemma

Default Need some ideas for dining chairs..

I'm new to this forum (Hi! :) ) so hope I'm posting this in the right place. Well, hope I'm allowed to post this at all hehe, but here goes..

I have 4 dining room chairs that I'd like to upcycle to match my house a bit better but I've never upcycled anything before so don't know where to start!
The chairs are metal with leather covering them, the only visible part of the metal frame is a small bit of the legs and the rest is entirely covered with the leather. I don't know whether to just cut off the leather to get at whats underneath and take it from there?

Have tried having a look online at other peoples projects but all I can seem to find are wooden chairs, haven't found anything remotely similar to what I have so would be interested to hear if anyone has any ideas?

UPDATE;
Thanks to help from other members below and having a mess around with the photo editor I've managed to get photos of one of the chairs attached to this post so if anyone has any suggestions of what I could do re upcycling? Or if anyone has seen any similar projects I could have a look at?

Attached Images

eisforemma is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 28-10-2015 , 09:36 PM #2
slatytom

Default dining room chails

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisforemma
I'm new to this forum (Hi! :) ) so hope I'm posting this in the right place. Well, hope I'm allowed to post this at all hehe, but here goes..
I have 4 dining room chairs that I'd like to upcycle to match my house a bit better but I've never upcycled anything before so don't know where to start!
The chairs are metal with leather covering them, the only visible part of the metal frame is a small bit of the legs and the rest is entirely covered with the leather. I don't know whether to just cut off the leather to get at whats underneath and take it from there?
Have tried having a look online at other peoples projects but all I can seem to find are wooden chairs, haven't found anything remotely similar to what I have so would be interested to hear if anyone has any ideas?
I do have some pics of the chairs, but apparently they're too big for the forum? I'm not great with computers so I have no idea to resize so I can show what I mean.
Any help greatly appreciated! :D

If you click on the photo, open will appear then click on microsoft office picture manager ,then there will be a resize option click that then a drop down box will appear on the right size of the screen select web small then ok and your done Cheers
slatytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 28-10-2015 , 09:45 PM #3
Chris P
Administrator

Default Admin Reminder - re: Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisforemma
... I do have some pics of the chairs, but apparently they're too big for the forum? I'm not great with computers so I have no idea to resize so I can show what I mean.
Hi eisforemma,

For instructions on how to upload photos from your computer, please see #9 in the User Tips post located near the top of all the Givers' forums...here:

http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=52598

If you still have a problem, please send your photos as email attachments to...

photos@jumbletown.ie

...and we'll look after them for you.

Thanks for using JumbleTown.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 31-10-2015 , 12:32 AM #4
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai

Default recycling chairs

Hi Emma, first thing to decide is: Do you want to keep the leather or are you happy to let it go? If you are happy to let it go then you can relax and get on with the project. From the photos, it looks as if the leather at the back is a style statement. Also it looks as if the seats are put on after the back was done. Check underneath to see if there are fixings attaching the seat to the metal frame. These could be screws into the wood of the seat, or maybe an allen key is needed. Whatever you remove, put in a bag or box and label. Taking photos is also helpful to remind you where you got the bits. To cover the seats in a fabric of your choice. You will need, fabric, scissors and a staple gun. If the seat leather is in good condition, leave it there as it will waterproof the seat against spills and protect the foam underneath. Next to the back. you could remove the leather up as far as the seat level. Metal can be painted with spray paint (outside, with a mask on) Spray paint is best if you do not want brush streaks. Again easiest option may be to leave the leather in place and make loose covers to slip over the back, tying with ribbons or cord made from the fabric. (Something a bit like a pillowcase if you get what I mean).This means you can remove them for washing. Danger of removing the leather from the back is the chair might fall apart. You would need to upholster with a tough fabric to be able to lean back in the chair without the two supports going awry.
Anyway have fun, take loads of photos and if it all goes wrong, watch out for some more chairs going free on JT and start again!! Happy Crafting.
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-11-2015 , 08:03 PM #5
eisforemma

Jus noticed your reply, thanks for your advice! I've removed the leather, it was fraying and I thought I might as well go for it hehe! Now the leather has been removed I'm left with the metal frame and the wooden seat! Have bought foam cushions for the seat, just need to pick fabric to go over it! At the moment I've painted the metal frame today, waiting for that to dry. Wanted to ask you about the back of the chairs - it's just metal in a rectangle sort of shape, so obviously has a large hole in it. Did you mean in the above post that I could just loosely cover this part with fabric as well? I'll have to do something to make it less of a huge hole otherwise my 2 year old will disappear through the back of it! Will post pictures of painted frame etc in the morning to give you an idea of what they look like now.

Thanks again for above reply :) very helpful!!

E
eisforemma is offline   Reply With Quote