Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 14-01-2009 , 09:42 AM #1
MandyD

Default Best way to remove wax...?

Hey guys,

Halloween night, I had a couple of people over for a few drinks, and as you can imagine I had a bit of a halloween theme going on. I had tealights in the shapes of skulls on top of the TV... DISASTER!
At around midnight, my face screwed up into a look of confusion and horror..."Is the telly on fire?" I asked my friends and partner?
Sure enough...IT WAS.
The tealight had gotten so hot, that it had melted half way down into the TV and set it on fire...blowing on it only sent the candle further into the TV so my partner had to put his hand in and scoop it out, burning his fingers quite badly before he was able to throw it in the fireplace.
The fire was out, and in the aftermath of the total shock of the event, I never noticed that my floor and fireplace were covered with hot wax and bits of melted plastic....
Now I'm wondering how to get it off... my floor is wooden, so I don't really want to take a knife to it and start scraping...and the fireplace is black marble so any scratches I make on it will plainly show..
Any ideas?

On a side note.... I've never had a problem with any tealights I've burned in the house...until then. Always be careful. If not for me sitting facing the TV that night, I probably wouldn't have noticed until it was too late.

And always check your smoke alarm.

I sound like a moan...but...better safe than sorry.

Mandy
MandyD is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 14-01-2009 , 10:44 AM #2
Fries-With-That

Default Wax

Green kitchen scrub used gently will remove it from the fireplace, and the floor.

If the plastic proves to be difficult you may have to use a blunt spoon. If your floor is laminate it is very difficult to scratch.

Fries.
Fries-With-That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-01-2009 , 11:11 AM #3
Bubbles2

You were very lucky to have spotted the disaster before it really got out of hand. Its by our mistakes we learn:0( isn't that what our parents told us when we were growing up and would not listen to them. Have you tried using a thin piece of wood of some sort - it shouldn't scratch your floor. Also if you contacted these places that put in marble fireplaces they may be able to suggest something or have a product that would not harm your marble!!!!
Bubbles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-01-2009 , 03:35 PM #4
betsy10112000

have you tried the new doktor power by JML,its on special offer in tesco for 3.99 euro.it is great and gets wax off marble.i had tea lights on my fireplace that did the same and melted onto the marble.i used it and wow came up sparkling,no scratching at all and its environmentally friendly and uses no harmful chemicals etc.
it works on plastic and marble and loads of other things.great new product with many uses.
betsy10112000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-01-2009 , 03:38 PM #5
jenniferalan

hi mandy best of luck with trying to get off the wax. i know that my mum uses baby oil to polish the marble on her fireplace so if get the wax off this would be good to buff it up and take off any remainder.

betsy just wondering if that jml stuff is very strong in smell or very harsh? i would love to try it as have various wrought iron candle holders covered in wax
jenniferalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-01-2009 , 03:48 PM #6
betsy10112000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferalan
hi mandy best of luck with trying to get off the wax. i know that my mum uses baby oil to polish the marble on her fireplace so if get the wax off this would be good to buff it up and take off any remainder.

betsy just wondering if that jml stuff is very strong in smell or very harsh? i would love to try it as have various wrought iron candle holders covered in wax

there is no smell at all.to be honest i haven't found a better multipurpose cleaner.
its not harsh either.it only contains natural ingredients.
i use it on everything,marks on the floor and table,pen and crayon,permanent marker aswel.worksurfaces,my garden furniture,windows anddoors,i polish the car bumpers and mirrors and all inside my car plastics.my brass sparkles too.

omg i sound like a JML rep,lol
im not honest
betsy10112000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-01-2009 , 03:51 PM #7
jenniferalan

wow, this sounds great....I'm gonna try it!
jenniferalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-01-2009 , 06:05 PM #8
Teish

Location: Away with the fairies most of the time but physically Cork
Default Wax

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemar
What a night. I know that if you got wax on clothes you place brown paper bag over spot and iron off. Don't know about a wooden floor, maybe using hairdrier to melt it! Good luck

I've tried this too on a fleece jumper that was out of comission for ages. Although I used kitchen roll to absorb the wax instead of brown paper.

It worked great & I'd have no problem doing the same on marble or wood but I'd use a few more layers of kitchen roll & use the iron more lightly (barely needed one iron over for the splash on my fleece).
Teish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-01-2009 , 09:50 PM #9
Moeby

Default wax problem

I've read this before but just have had an idea. How about heating an egg turner/fish slice whatever you might like to call it. and gently removing the wax. Obviously, something hot with a bit of an edge might melt the wax. Let us know how you get on. Kind regards.
Moeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-01-2009 , 11:20 PM #10
Glenurla

Default Removing wax

Hi MandyD

I've used the brown paper and hot iron methods loads of times and it works a treat. Another method used in a restaurant I once worked in was to cover wax on hard surfaces with ice and for wome reason I don't quite understand the wax comes off easily in one piece. It's worth a try.
Glenurla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-01-2009 , 02:18 AM #11
Lee36

Default wax

i'm a terror 4 spilling wax as i always use candles. the iron and brown paper is xlnt on fabrics and rugs but on my wooden floor i let the wax harden and then use the plastic ice scraper which comes with a new fridge to remove it and on my marble hearth i use the scraper which comes with a ceramic hob. hope this helps. did the trick 4 me anyway
regards
lee
Lee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 02-02-2009 , 12:32 PM #12
celticd

Default candle wax

boiling hot water poured on it will deffinately get it off. Had wax on wooden floor and marble before. it works a treat
celticd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-09-2010 , 02:38 PM #13
nanoo

Default removewax

the only way i know to remove wax is to get brown paper and use rough side on the wax and a hot iron on the smooth side, it works on all wax tried and tested good luck,
nanoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-09-2010 , 11:53 PM #14
kitty

Default wax

I have used hairdryer to soften wax to remove. Also I have wrought iron candle sticks covered in wax popped in dishwasher and they came out perfect.
kitty is offline   Reply With Quote