JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Support Forum > Support Forum
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 17-06-2008 , 10:05 AM #16
JulesInKy

Default missing thread

I've been a lurker on JT for a while now, but recently saw a couple of items that took my interest. One of them was for a wooden bench with candle holders on it. I posted a reply to the thread and even received email notice in gmail for activity on the thread. Clicked link in email to read new post and it's gone. All I get is a message that I do not have permission to access the page.

I can understand that some ads be be withdrawn or removed for various reasons, but surely there is a way to notify thread subscribers if this is the situation?

thanks for a great site.

Jules.
JulesInKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-06-2008 , 01:44 PM #17
Chris P
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nono
Thanks for the reply Chris but I've seen ads where the item has been 'taken' for quite awhile and its still live for quite a long time. Another question, if you reply on public forum and then send PM's and receive PM's back, does that qualify as activity on the ad. As I said I'm relatively new to this and dont understand all the ins and outs of the site,

Thanks again,

Nono

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Chris but I've seen ads where the item has been 'taken' for quite awhile and its still live for quite a long time.
First of all, it is a Member's responsibility to update his/her ads; it is Admin's role to update only when the Member forgets or is unable because they are unfamiliar with the site or their responsibilities.

At the moment, Taken ads are manually "pruned" from the top of the listings by Admin; therefore, it is not humanly possible to have all of these ads archived when they should be but we get round to them eventually.

Quote:
Another question, if you reply on public forum and then send PM's and receive PM's back, does that qualify as activity on the ad.
PMs and public posts on an ad/thread constitute "activity." PMs, however, are not added to a Member's "Number of Posts." Most Givers accept PMs and public posts as requests; some Members, however, ask potential Takers only to post on the Public Forum.

Quote:
As I said I'm relatively new to this and dont understand all the ins and outs of the site.
The "User Tips" post at the top of each of the Givers' forums should prove helpful. Also, make sure to check out the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) section, the button for which can be found on the blue bar beneath the log-in area.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-06-2008 , 01:56 PM #18
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesInKy
I can understand that some ads be be withdrawn or removed for various reasons, but surely there is a way to notify thread subscribers if this is the situation?
Hi JulesInKY,

Your question is really for the Techies in the office but I'm pretty sure that what you suggest is possible. I don't think the Managers/Developers of the site have any plans to add this feature to JumbleTown. As a general rule, if a Member can't access an ad, he/she should assume that the item has been Taken or else archived by Admin because of no updates from the Giver. Archived ads can be retrieved on request from the Giver.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 17-06-2008 , 11:16 PM #19
nono

Default Posts Missing

OK Chris, thanks for all the feedback, I'm beginning to get the drift

Sincerely,

Nono
nono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-06-2008 , 11:22 PM #20
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
OK Chris, thanks for all the feedback, I'm beginning to get the drift

Sincerely,

Nono
That's good to hear, Nono.

Admin recommends that Members spend some time browsing the site, clicking on buttons and links just to see what pops up.

Thanks for the feedback!

Regards
Chris P
Admn
Old Posted: 19-06-2008 , 12:29 AM #21
nono

Default Nono in trouble again !!!!

Dont know whats happened. Got 2 notifications in my email about 'electric chimney'. When I opened the email and went to link, heading was vbulletin message which told me I was not allowed to access plus lots of other stuff which was more than a bit discouraging to say the least as I was only accessing the email which was sent to me by Jumble Ireland.

Hope the ever patient Chris can advise and explain.

Again thanks in advance Chris

Sincerely,

Nono
Old Posted: 19-06-2008 , 06:39 AM #22
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Dont know whats happened. Got 2 notifications in my email about 'electric chimney'. When I opened the email and went to link, heading was vbulletin message which told me I was not allowed to access plus lots of other stuff which was more than a bit discouraging to say the least as I was only accessing the email which was sent to me by Jumble Ireland.

Sincerely,

Nono
Hi Nono,

Three ads for the "Electric Chimney" were made on the forum. Multiple ads for the same item in different forums (Miscellaneous, Domestic Appliances etc) are not allowed as these ads/threads are difficult to manage for all concerned. So I removed two ads and left one in the Domestic appliances forum. All of the posts on the archived ads were along the lines of "What is an electric chimney?" and not "May I have this, please?" Once again, if a Member can't access an ad, he/she should presume that the item has been Taken and archived, or archived for no update, or archived for being irrelevant. All of this archiving is to keep the forum as up-to-date as possible. Members should rest assured that ads or posts do NOT disappear from the forum for no reason.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 19-06-2008 , 01:00 PM #23
nono

Default Electric Chimney

Thanks for the update Chris
Old Posted: 25-07-2008 , 02:37 AM #24
nono

Quote:

Sincerely,

Nono

Hi again Chris,

Just realised the reply I got didn't really apply to the above 'quote'. What I cant understand is, when I get notifications in my email from JT and I access my email and go to the link specified by JT, they then inform me that basically I'm not allowed to be accessing something they sent me. Obviously I'm missing something along the way BUT I just don't know what ? Maybe someone somewhere out there in the wild blue yonder can advise me. HAS ANYONE ELSE GOT THESE vbulliten messages after accessing the emails sentto them by J.T. ????????
Old Posted: 25-07-2008 , 06:11 AM #25
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Hi again Chris,

Just realised the reply I got didn't really apply to the above 'quote'. What I cant understand is, when I get notifications in my email from JT and I access my email and go to the link specified by JT, they then inform me that basically I'm not allowed to be accessing something they sent me. Obviously I'm missing something along the way BUT I just don't know what ? Maybe someone somewhere out there in the wild blue yonder can advise me. HAS ANYONE ELSE GOT THESE vbulliten messages after accessing the emails sentto them by J.T. ????????
Hi Nono,

Next time this happens, send the link to Admin -- you seem to be referring to something that isn't covered by my explantion above and we really need to see the link(s) in question to clarify exactly what's going on.

My statement above is still relevant for most Members: if an ad can't be accessed, the Member should presume that the item has been Taken and archived, or archived for no update, or archived for being irrelevant.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 25-07-2008 , 07:59 AM #26
icecream

Default Access

I thinks its because Nono is not logged-in when the email takes him/her to the link, I've seen that 'access denied' type message when I wasn't logged-in!
icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-07-2008 , 08:08 AM #27
mrsl

Default archiving

Chris,

Is there no way then that 'takers' can access the archived or 'pruned' posts? Sometime a jt member might just want to get back intouch with another jt member and can't remember who they were but if they could access the post then they'd be able to make contact again.

I've had the problem of not finding posts again too. I do a search for something I know was available on jt and only find 2 or 3 posts and they are usually not the ones I was looking for.

Access to the archive might help. The teckkies must be saving them on a server somewhere so it wouldn't necessarily take up extra space.

Gmail allows you to archive your emails so they are out of your way but still accessible through a search.

Anyway, just an idea.
mrsl
mrsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-07-2008 , 09:01 AM #28
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsl
Chris, Is there no way then that 'takers' can access the archived or 'pruned' posts? Sometime a jt member might just want to get back intouch with another jt member and can't remember who they were but if they could access the post then they'd be able to make contact again.l
Hi mrsl,

The managers of Jumbletown have no plans to give Members access to Admin's Archive, which contains over 16,000 ads. (This shouldn't be confused with the general Archive that gives a summary of the current ads on the forums and can be accessed by clicking the "Archive" button on the blue bar above the list of Local Authority links right at the bottom of the Home Page.)

Usually, Admin will only re-post archived ads on the Public Forum on request from the Giver. However, if a Taker wishes to send a "thank you" PM (and no other posts from the Giver are on the Public Forum), then Admin will repost the ad (temporarily) on the Public Forum to allow a PM to be sent.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 26-07-2008 , 09:09 AM #29
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecream
I thinks its because Nono is not logged-in when the email takes him/her to the link, I've seen that 'access denied' type message when I wasn't logged-in!
You could be right, icecream, but Admin won't know for certain till we receive the links in question.

Members should also be aware of the "Timing-out of a session" aspect of the site. When Members log on, they should tick the "Remember Me" box (beside the log-in box) but only if they are using a home/private computer. Ticking this box prevents the system automatically logging them off if it detects that they haven't browsed the site's pages for 15 minutes or so.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 26-07-2008 , 05:02 PM #30
giggs

Default buggy

having read this thread this morning now i have been a victim of the disappearing posts!!! maybe as a result of airing my annoyance at the result of a "name pulling from a hat" for someone to be pulled from a hat they were never in!! i suppose this post will go missing too
giggs is offline   Reply With Quote