JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Before & After (Upcycling)
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 24-02-2008 , 11:24 PM #1
unapam

Default Re-purposing: Ever heard of...?

Re-purposing is when something has been lifecycled to the end of its life and is of no use to anyone. Do you throw it out? NO you don't - you repurpose it. I am including two examples here.

The photo shows cushion covers that used to be a tablecloth. It got torn in one corner so could not be a tablecloth anymore. The decorations on them were odd bits of lace, buttons and pieces from a greeting card (see close up for details) The damaged piece was used as a duster of course.

Also in photo is a metal base of an old rusty Singer sewing machine found in an old barn. Painted black and gold and it's wooden top was a long piece of discarded fencing sanded and waxed (and leftovers used for lighting the fire)

Together they make a lovely shabby chic table. All these items were repurposed to great effect. It is so rewarding - not to mention great fun to use your imagination and get results like this. They are, after all, totally unique and can't be found in any shop for any money.

So next time you are about to chuck something out - ask yourself...can it be repurposed?
Does anyone else have an example of something that was re-purposed?
Attached Images

unapam is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 25-02-2008 , 12:38 AM #2
BillieT

Default Re-purposing

Hi Unapam

you have great ideas - the cushions are very beautiful and I loved the rocking chair u did too. Well done.

Billie
BillieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-03-2008 , 05:57 PM #3
david_c

I have tried to re-purpose old cloth as well in the past:
  • torn denim jeans -> bag
  • old t-shirt -> general purpose cleaning cloth/duster

My skill in this area is fairly paltry compared to your own though, and I don't have any photos.

A site on which you will quite likely find plenty of examples is this one - especially in the 'Craft' section.

There are lots of other similar sites, which I can't think of off the top of my head. Feel free to PM me if you want me to have a look in my bookmarks for them.
david_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-05-2008 , 11:07 PM #4
pob

Default Wow!

Hi Unapam,

You have quite a talent - i love those cushions, thanks for sharing your photos on JT...very inspiring! I find I get ideas but then my little toddler distracts me!!! Some day though....

Pob
pob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-05-2008 , 09:26 AM #5
lislaw

My hubbie rides motorbikes. I use his old tyres to grow potatoes in. Must put a picture up sometime
lislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-05-2008 , 09:54 AM #6
kilk

a neat way of making a compost maker is to use the drum of a washing machine, put it in the ground with the opening upwards. you can then put all your household waste etc into it and the worms will come in through the holes! only draw back is removing compost. best not to use the door of it tho or you could break your ankle some dark nite, ouch!
regards
kilk
kilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-05-2008 , 08:34 PM #7
unapam

Default repurposing

I'm interested and impressed! washing machine drums for compost and tyres for growing spuds? Amazing ideas...did you think of them?..and any chance you could elaborate a little I'd love to try both. Thanks so much...unapam
Old Posted: 12-06-2008 , 10:42 PM #8
carissa

Default repurposing

i've cut holes in an old tank & grow strawberries in it now, an old pair of wellies make planters, usually get a few laughs from the neighbours
Attached Images

carissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-06-2008 , 10:46 PM #9
kilk

Default fruit bowl

hi again, if you have an old washing machine, while the drum makes a good compost maker- as explained above- the door glass can be used as a fruit bowl etc.
regards,
kilk
kilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-06-2008 , 11:13 PM #10
lukiira

Default no!

I dissagree with 1st post!
if everybody does that why do we need furniture store?
to get our life more comfortable!!
why use old bended sofa with new cover? that still wont be comfortable!
The new cover does not change anything!
buy new one! get some comfort to your life!
~
what car you driving? vw beetle 1975 with new seet covers?
or 05-07 vw passat?

best regards
polish boy
lukas
(sorry for my english)
lukiira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-06-2008 , 11:33 PM #11
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukiira
I dissagree with 1st post!
if everybody does that why do we need furniture store?
to get our life more comfortable!!
why use old bended sofa with new cover? that still wont be comfortable!
The new cover does not change anything!
buy new one! get some comfort to your life!
~
what car you driving? vw beetle 1975 with new seet covers?
or 05-07 vw passat?

best regards
polish boy
lukas
(sorry for my english)
Hi lukiira,

The title of your post is "No!" You probably shouted this when Ivica Vastic scored a stoppage-time penalty against Poland this evening :-( Final score: Austria 1 - Poland 1. At least Poland made it to the European Championships, so well done on that front!

Also, there's no fear of everyone doing what Unapam does -- most people are not as resourceful so there is no danger of furniture stores closing down.

The work of Unapam and other "re-purposers" sets an example for others and in doing so helps to save another tree from being chopped down to make another piece of furniture. Their work also postpones an item's entry into costly recycling and landfill schemes. All in all, they are doing their bit for the environment and practising their craft and DIY skills at the same time. I've no doubt that job satisfaction plays a major part in what they do.

As for the Beetle versus Passat contest...give me a Beetle any day!

Thanks for the feedback, lukiira, and good luck to Poland in the rest of the competition!

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-06-2008 , 01:50 AM #12
unapam

Default Reply from the formidable Unapam to Lukarias

What car do I drive? I don't drive!

I walk to work where I teach ESOL English classes to a group of Polish builders... and I must say that your English is not bad at all! But feel free to sign up at your local DVEC. centre for classes if you want to improve it.

Fair play to you for having the confidence to have your say on here.

You might not get the message yet, but you will ...or your children will. All the best...Cheers...Unapam
Old Posted: 13-06-2008 , 10:31 AM #13
ozieandros

Default Why I would re use, re cycle etc than buy new

IKEA and many furniture stores follow certain lines, create fashion, ensuring that most people visit their stores to have 'Must Have'' New look household furnitures. Have you ever heard about 'Keeping up with the Joneses'? Look around you these days? I swear should I walk into another house with beech furnitures, decking and what you find in every other home ... I'll scream!

You see, being older than most you guys ... I have the firm belief that home is where the heart is. When I say heart, I mean memories, a place where we have laughed and cried sometimes at different times, other times both at once. So that my idea of home is that and the moment I open the door! I know I'm home! My own home, not a repeat of too many homes I've called upon, all looking the same!

Where did individualism go? Where did creativity go? Probably all down the drain with rain forests, polar bears soon and many other species destroyed to satisfy convenience and greed.

So Pam well done! Not only for what you do, but also doing so well and inspiring us all to become creative. We were all born creative if we forgot somewhere down the line how to work on this terrific individual gift of ours.

What you did shows a lot of great ideas as indeed much love! It takes a lot of love and dedication to turn what started up as an idea into something as beautiful as what you did!

So really! Congratulations and maybe you could start a wee class for the rest of us! As for the JT member who felt that furniture shops have to have business ... He is entitled to his opinion surely if he'll find that many of us would rather have Pam's living room than a corner leather suite (How many animals die to make them) And the 'Wood of the moment' for fashion conscious dresser, table and whatever else!

And my contribution today has to be (See pic) Something I did (No way near as good as Pam's beautiful craft) But anyway ... Recycled twigs and recycled twine ... It was for my shed. Put a pic to a couple of friends and now ... Got to make a few to send over to them in Britain and in the USA LOL. Now should I have gone to a religious shop to buy one instead?

1. I wouldn't have found a recyclable one
2. it wouldn't have been made with much love as I made mine
3. How many trees would have suffered?

Oh and my shed comes from JT. Thanks to Dandeman who let me have it. So there! I rest my case!
Attached Images

ozieandros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-06-2008 , 10:35 PM #14
lukiira

Default whats up wit it? (borat)

Hello everybody! :)

I decided to reply again if you dont mind.

Chris:
"The title of your post is "No!" You probably shouted this when Ivica Vastic scored "

Im not a big football fan so I didnt shouted when Ivica scored :)
It changes nothing to my life, I prefer other sports like:
digging in the (customer's) gardens, wall painting, and other constructive sports. :)

"..save another tree from being chopped"
You care about trees.. do you care about animals? are you vegetarian :)
I like new comfortable furniture especially oak ones, also I like meat - all except lamb!!! - eeegghh!!

Also I gave bad an egsample with VW beetle before - sorry, shouldnt use this eg. so am changin beetle for jetta similar year :)

unapam
says something about English classes for polish builders.
I wish to go to any classes but... most of them (99%) are offering/serving basics only.
I do not need basics any more!
in fact, in portlaoise (the place where I live) there is non classes at all,
and Im not willing travel to Dublin.

kilk
"i recently acquired a sofa and two armchairs from a fellow jtr, they are very old and i have to say they are the most comfortable seats, especially the armchairs i have ever sat in! i usually try to avoid them in daytime cos im zzz in no time, honest!"

I belive you, but you didnt wrote us, it happens since you put a new cover/cussion on it or before?

unapam
"You might not get the message yet, but you will ...or your children will"

my child is to small to get any messages :) (8months old-polish Molly)..
I got your point Pam - dont worry!

Covelay
"***********"
sometimes is better say nothing - thats truth!! You right bud!

It is gettin late and work waitin from early morning..

(Chris, I am waiting for your PM)

Best HONEST regards to everybody
polish boy
Lukas
:)
Old Posted: 13-06-2008 , 10:50 PM #15
lukiira

Default :)

I am tryin best I can :)